The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-12-2020, 10:04 AM   #1
Artie in Miami

dash cluster

Can anyone tell me if the "Headlight High Beam Indicator" is a standard dash cluster light (gets power from the dash cluster), or if it is fed by wires from the headlight circuit ?? I found a bulb/socket hanging behind the dash cluster that is fed by a black and red wire. this is the second socket that I found hanging in my 1986 C20 Suburban...the first was for the ashtray light !
Artie in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:13 PM   #2
Artie in Miami

Re: dash cluster

Here is a pic of the mystery bulb/socket...anyone recognize it...it looks like it goes in the dash cluster, and is probably an idiot light...but I do not know which hole it goes in ! I was thinking it might be the "high beam indicator" ??
Attached Images

Old 01-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #3
ray_mcavoy

The high beam indicator is one of the "standard" lights that connects to the cluster's printed circuit (no separate wires on the socket).

Those "special" lights (that use a socket with it's own wires, not part of the printed circuit) were typically used for things like the 4 wheel drive indicator light that were not present on all trucks. They were also used for the low coolant, water in fuel, and glow plug lights on trucks with diesel engines. And I think some models were equipped with electronic feedback carburetors and had a check engine / service engine light hooked up with it's own wires (and changed to being wired through the cluster printed circuit for 87 models with fuel injection).
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:43 PM   #4
Artie in Miami

Mine is gasoline with carb...could it be for something like "seatbelts" ? I notice there are two holes for lights under the speedometer, and I think they light up when car is started
Old 01-13-2020, 10:10 AM   #5
Rich84

It could be the light that goes to the heater and a/c controls.
Rich84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
Artie in Miami

I never thought of that...I will go out and see if the wires reach that far...it makes sense, since it is not the same design as the dash cluster lights......thanks !
Old 01-13-2020, 11:09 AM   #7
Artie in Miami

No...it is not for the heat/ac controls...wire is not long enough to reach, and the control already has a light attached. You are on to something though...the mystery socket is exactly the same as the socket for the heater control
Old 01-13-2020, 11:15 AM   #8
kipps

It's not an illumination light. The dash, heater, etc illumination lights are powered with a gray wire, and grounded through a black wire.

Note that one of the wires is pink. Pink wires are universally used for ignition-hot wires. So that light must be controlled by a ground connection through the brown wire.

Looking at Hatzie's wiring diagram for a '86(You can find all the diagrams here), it shows a "check engine" light with two wires. One wire is Pink/black, and the other is listed as brown/white.

The light shows up about two-thirds of the way across the first diagram page on the 86 wiring manual.

If you remove your cluster, you can hold it up to the light, and see what's displayed in each indicator socket. I'm sure you'll find "check engine" or "service engine soon" in one of the holes. If not, the cluster or the harness were replaced at some point.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:33 PM   #9
Dead Parrot

Does it still have the computer? If so, make sure the bulb is good(that one looks a bit dark in the pic) and see if/when it lights up.

If the computer is gone and the bulb never lights, I would pull the bulb and tape over the socket just in case.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #10
Artie in Miami

I am sure it still has computer...only one owner before me, and he sold it to me in 1998 and it was just as he bought it from the dealer.
Old 01-14-2020, 11:38 AM   #11
Artie in Miami

Actually...that wire is red...looks pink in pic.
Old 01-15-2020, 09:54 AM   #12
Artie in Miami

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Does it still have the computer? If so, make sure the bulb is good(that one looks a bit dark in the pic) and see if/when it lights up.

If the computer is gone and the bulb never lights, I would pull the bulb and tape over the socket just in case.
You are correct !! The bulb was dead...I replaced it and it lights when ignition key is turned on.