The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-15-2020, 11:27 AM   #1
88Stanger

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

i do have a question. The old gas tank mount bracket, must it stay in place? I would like to remove it if possible.
Attached Images

Last edited by The Rocknrod; 08-15-2020 at 11:52 AM.
88Stanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:53 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Starting 1966 Factory Short Bed Build, Bagged, 383 Stroker and Muncie M20 4-Speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Stanger View Post
i do have a question. The old gas tank mount bracket, must it stay in place? I would like to remove it if possible.
If your tank is going elsewhere they can be removed.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:25 PM   #3
jrusher

Quote:
I just cut the bracket off where it starts to bend up on both my trucks . Was quick and easy and I kept the pieces if somebody wanted to use a stock tank again . Amp and sub boxes fit back there nicely
Attached Images

jrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 12:47 PM   #4
SCOTI

They aren't required w/no tank but they do help tie the floor & cab wall together for additional rigidity. You could always trim off excess like jrusher did to clean it up a bit.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:03 AM   #5
88Stanger

Now i like that idea. I was a bit concerned with removing them and effecting how the floor rigidity would be. sometimes the simplest things can be so hard to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusher View Post
I just cut the bracket off where it starts to bend up on both my trucks . Was quick and easy and I kept the pieces if somebody wanted to use a stock tank again . Amp and sub boxes fit back there nicely
Old 08-16-2020, 12:46 PM   #6
jrusher

Quote:
Now i like that idea. I was a bit concerned with removing them and effecting how the floor rigidity would be. sometimes the simplest things can be so hard to see.
I was going to cap the end of that opening after cutting it but figure it’s out of sight and be easier to weld bracket back on if someone wanted to go back to factory tank. Highly unlikely but never know I hate hacking these trucks up if possible lol
jrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 01:04 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrusher View Post
I was going to cap the end of that opening after cutting it but figure it’s out of sight and be easier to weld bracket back on if someone wanted to go back to factory tank. Highly unlikely but never know I hate hacking these trucks up if possible lol
Or weld tabs for ECU mounting, speaker box, storage box, etc.....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 01:17 PM   #8
88Stanger

Update:
additional pics and Pics of Headers being wrapped

Found a bit more rust in the driver side front panel, so patch panel on the way.
I also found alot of seam sealer on the inside which i have not found before, or at least that i know of. So i ordered seam sealer from Eastwood.
Attached Images