The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #1
Elston Gunn

1986 K1500 Starting Problem After Cleaning Q-Jet

Okay so carb was gummed up bad. It is a Quadrajet M4MED. Engine is a 4.3l v6. I took carb off, did a pine sol soak, then a water/dish soap soak. Inside wasn't as dirty as expected.

So I put it back on, hooked all vac lines up how they should be. Thing looks nice sitting in there...
Went to turn it over, first couple times seemed like it was gonna go, then nothing.
Kept trying..all I got was clicking from what i guess is the m/c solenoid. Tried putting gas in the float bowls. After a few tries, there is nothing at all.
Can't see how it would be a starter because the truck started fine and ran decent before I took off carb to clean it...was just running rich but when I went to adjust idle screws, i noticed how gummed up it was and just decided to take it off and clean. Truck always started right up since I got it (two months ago). Replaced everything exactly how it was. Don't know what to do from here... New to carbureted engines.....
Air filter not on have an effect? Would it start if I put the air cleaner on? stupid question but I didn't think it would matter just starting it with it off?
Did I mess up the m/c solenoid by soaking it? I soaked whole carb as I read was okay (maybe not, not realizing the m/c solenoid) dried it out with air compressor. Any tips or suggestions would be great
Elston Gunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:15 PM   #2
mrolds88

Re: 1986 K1500 Starting Problem After Cleaning Q-Jet

Did you blow out all the passages with air? sounds like there may have been a bit more dirt in there than you thought. Also after the dish soap, did you rinse it out real good? Another thing, when you put it back together, did the fuel filter get swapped around (put in backwards)?
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #3
Elston Gunn

yeah everything i could inspect was dry. also sat in low humidity room for a few days after. was rinsed out well and thorough before I dried it. made notes on how the filter went in so I think I got that right.

Not sure what it could be. I replaced everything as it was exactly, that was one main thing I made sure not to mess up, took pictures, etc.
I am going to try starting fluid, idk why it would help though.. just sounds like theres nothing there when i crank it. just ticks/clicks. Fuel pump, starter? took carb off because it was running rich. was just going to adjust screws but it was dirty so I took it off. could the rich problem have been fuel pump? and now its dead?
Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 PM   #4
Elston Gunn

what failing component on the carb would cause it not to turn over?

And... Yes i mean it was dirty but not as bad as the outside....definitely some crud at the bottom of the soak bucket..but bowls and jets and ports as far as i could see looked decent. I did not opt for a rebuild because I am not ready for that and also I didn't feel it completely neccesary as the truck ran..fairly well..just obviously too rich and I wanted to find a better idle as well

Last edited by Elston Gunn; 02-13-2015 at 09:02 PM. Reason: accidental double post
Old 02-14-2015, 03:02 AM   #5
mrolds88

Are you saying that the starter no longer cranks the engine, or that it cranks but doesnt fire? My suggestion is that if the starter is turning the engine over is to pull the fuel filter and make sure it is oriented correctly (small hole towards fuel line). Try to start again. If that fails, pull the carb and get some good carb cleaner and clean the interior passages well. Especially those between the main jets and the venturies.
87 K10 Suburban Sold
93 K2500 xcab 6.5TD
96 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5 TD
mrolds88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:43 AM   #6
Elston Gunn

well, from what i know i would say it is a "no crank" start. Engine doesn't try to turn over, just clicks. no fire. If all else fails I am going to take the carb back off. My first step today is going to be checking that battery and connections etc. But I know I got the fuel filter in right, and it is brand new. My plan was to get some carb cleaner in the ports and passages once it was up and running LOL maybe that wasn't soon enough. Thanks for the tips..going to stay posted on here because you guys along with gmsquarebody dot com are my biggest hopes at the moment!!