The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2020, 08:10 PM   #1
Starwood

Temp Sensor Question(s)

Finishing off my 350 Crate swap and noticed the sensor on my intake is damaged and needed replacement. I currently have what appears to be two temp sensors. The first pic is of the Driver’s side block sensor and that gives me a reading on my dash. No prob there.
The second pic is of the sensor that needs replacing on the intake. This activates the electric fan.

My question is: There is only one wire currently attached and the replacement unit comes with two wires (3rd pic).

There were no instructuons and I couldnt get a clear answer on the interweb haha.

I know this: Keeping my engine at a safe temp is one of the most important things for my Classic.

If anyone might have some guidance on which wire to use or any other options to consider, I thank you in advance for your take.

Note: The fan switches are mounted right next to radiator behind the overflow and the Truck does have AC - if this changes anything.

Thx again Fellas
Attached Images

Starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:26 PM   #2
Dead Parrot

Re: Temp Sensor Question(s)

Guessing but it is possible they are just providing 2 wires that tie to the same spot. Get a Ohm meter and test each wire to the sender body and then to each other. If they read the same to the body(probably open or infinite) and zero between the pair then probably just two wires for the same signal.

Also possible that is a combo unit where one wire has a variable output for a temp gauge and the other is an on/off for your fan. If the ohm meter shows open for one and about 2k for the other, likely a combo unit. The open wire is the one for the fan as it should close when it reaches the proper temp. Might want to test what that temp is in case it isn't what you want.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:46 PM   #3
Starwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Parrot View Post
Guessing but it is possible they are just providing 2 wires that tie to the same spot. Get a Ohm meter and test each wire to the sender body and then to each other. If they read the same to the body(probably open or infinite) and zero between the pair then probably just two wires for the same signal.

Also possible that is a combo unit where one wire has a variable output for a temp gauge and the other is an on/off for your fan. If the ohm meter shows open for one and about 2k for the other, likely a combo unit. The open wire is the one for the fan as it should close when it reaches the proper temp. Might want to test what that temp is in case it isn't what you want.
Makes perfect sense. Thx Man
Posted via Mobile Device
Starwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 12:43 AM   #4
RustyPile

Re: Temp Sensor Question(s)

OOOORRRRR.... It could be a totally wrong sensor for your application.. Contact who you got it from and pose your question to them.. I suspect that sensor won't work for your application... Your broke sensor (when it's not damaged and it's operating correctly) completes the ground path for your fans, and/or their relay.. There is no internal resistance.. There is a set of bi-metal contacts that close when the coolant reaches a predetermined temperature... The ground path is provided through those contacts..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote