The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2020, 08:26 PM   #1
the idiocracy

Ignition Education needed

I am looking to better understand the differences between conventional and HEI distributors. I am currently running a Fitech EFI system with an HEI distributor. According to Fitech, this eliminates the ability to control timing with the EFI system. Since I am turbocharged, I REALLY need to retard timing under boost and am trying to work with what I have at the moment. I do know that I can switch to a conventional two wire dist. and let the efi do the work.

My question is if I remove the ignition module from the dist. and install the MSD harness PN 8861, does that effectively convert the HEI to a conventional two wire?

Currently I am running the ignition system laid out in fig 10. If I remove the ignition module and install the harness, my thought is that I should be able to run the ignition laid out in figure 12 or 13.

I would love if someone could really get into the details of why that will or won't work.

Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Last edited by the idiocracy; 10-25-2020 at 08:37 PM.
the idiocracy is offline   Reply With Quote