The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2020, 12:19 PM   #1
blazer2007

removing aftermarket amp gauge ?

I have a 89 jeep I bought but don,t want a amp guage in it, [dangerous] When I remove the wires does the red wire from the battery terminal go back to the solenoid so it will start ?
Attached Images

blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 08:09 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: removing aftermarket amp gauge ?

I'm, not at all familiar with Jeeps.. Haven't worked on one in years, so take what I'm about to say with a grain of salt.. You say the amp gauge is an aftermarket unit.. There are 2 basic designs.. one is a shunt design, meaning a sample current flow is sent through the gauge and the "main" current flow takes a different direction to and from the battery.. This is how GM mearsured current flow in the trucks of our interest..

The other design routes all of the current flow through the meter.. The usual "tip off" to this design is the wires connected to the meter are of large gauge size - around 10 ga...

If the gauge in your Jeep is the shunt design, It's a "stand alone" system so you can just remove the gauge and it's accompanying wiring.. If it's of the full flow design, remove/disconnect the gauge and connect the 2 wires together.. The electrical system will function just fine, you just won't have a way to monitor the charging rate...

Just an FYI, if your system is the shunt design (which it probably is) there is no "danger" involved because the sample current flow through it is very low, probably less than 1 amp..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 09:11 AM   #3
blazer2007

Re: removing aftermarket amp gauge ?

It does have the 2 big red wires and can be seen in photo and they both go to the gauge. Thanks for the lesson on amp gauges, never had one so didn.t know how they were wired ,just heard not to use them.
blazer2007 is offline   Reply With Quote