The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2017, 04:24 PM   #1
BrianG

Thoughts on new GM Crate Motor

A while back I posted a thread asking for some opinions on which way to go with my needed engine correction/upgrade. Long story short, The motor in my truck is fairly fresh. However, when the previous owner had someone rebuild it. They "in my opinion" put way too big of a cam in it. Sounds like a built Harley, but has very little idle vacuum and just really doesn't impress with power until you really start to wind it up. It is a one piece rear seal block with World Products Stock replacement heads.

I 'WAS' considering a new top end kit for it, or going with a new 383 long block.

The 383 long block that I really want is pricey at $6,000. And I have not found the right top end kit plus honestly don't want to deal with Cam break in and lifter adjusting issues.

Soooo.. Fast forward to the present.

I see that GM is going to be offering this beauty very soon.

http://www.chevrolet.com/performance...-357-base.html

I'm thinking that this might be more in line with my budget. I've seen some online pricing suggesting that this new 350 is going to be in the $3,500 range retail.

I could build something similar using my block and crank. I do have a one piece rear main seal block, so the potential is there for a Hydraulic Roller, but I do not think that they put a roller cam in there when it was rebuilt. I would prefer a roller cam due to the power curve they can produce. Adding up the components separately (vortec heads, cam, lifters, cam spider, push rods, etc.) I would probably be well over $2,000. Still quite a bit less than $3,500 but I don't really get excited about the thought of rebuilding engines these days. Call me lazy, chicken, or what ever. I honestly like the thought of simply torqueing down an intake and using my existing carb.

My truck is a short box 4x4 with five inch lift and 33's with 3.73 gears. None of that is going to change.

So, to all those with way more knowledge than I have on these sort of things. What is your opinion on this new GM crate 350? Did they use the right cam, right heads? any changes you would make?
BrianG is offline   Reply With Quote