The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-07-2011, 05:33 PM   #1
4pilgrim4

Re: Transmission Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76/85 Truck View Post
Thanks for all the great responses! I called a couple of other shops around town and they said my clutches are probably fried. (I know nothing about automatic transmissions so I have no idea if that's possible)... One shop said 800 for a rebuild and to put it back in.

I figured 200$ for a junkyard tranny was too much but at least he will guaranty it. So far he is the cheapest in town. There's not many shops in town, because it is a pretty small town. I think I'm going to go with the junkyard tranny, but I'm gunna try to work him down to 150 at the most for the tranny...

Is there anything I can put in the junkyard tranny after it is in? Like an additive to re-new everything internally since it has been sitting for a bit?

Thanks for all your help..
Posted via Mobile Device
Since you indicate that are interested in a lifetime career in the automotive field why don't you take advantage of this opportunity and rebuild it yourself? Clutch/seal kits and a rebuilt torque converters are very inexpensive for that unit. Removal and reinstallation is easiest in a pickup.

Then -- long term -- go to your state university and get your degree in a business related area such as economics or preferably business administration. This will prepare you for the time when you get tired of rebuilding Turbo 350s and would rather operate your own transmission shop hiring a bunch of guys to do the dirty work while you run the business. It will pay off royally.

Just a thought.
4pilgrim4 is offline   Reply With Quote