The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-07-2002, 12:39 AM   #1
jmanz69
Careful, they attack...

Removing door skins

I am thinking I might remove my door skin on the drivers side. How hard is it to get off, any special tools required? It's dented and torn in a couple places, but the inside and bottom are ok still, it's all on the outside. I started sanding and found about a 1/2 inch of bondo filling in the dents.

Thanks
jmanz69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 01:07 AM   #2
bigvinnie

the way I did it was to grind the edge of the skin along the area to be removed, where it curls/wraps around the inner door shell, being very careful not to penetrate any more than what's necessary to separate the outer skin from the inner....

so then you're left with the part of the door skin that curls around the inner door shell and is spot welded to the inner skin...gently drill or grind the spot welds to remove.... you should be left with an inner door skin/shell that you can weld/glue the new outer skin to....

I don't know much about the replacement door skins since I fabbed the panels I needed, but I assume they come with the curled edges, or they're long enough for you to do your own...???

Maybe someone who's used em can provide some input...???

hope this made sense....

72 Stepside Project
bigvinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 10:47 AM   #3
Paul Clark

The door skin I put on was meant to go over the existing skin. That means that it was wider that what I needed. Took some bending on one end to get it to fit. Also had to cut the wrap-around lip 'cause it was too wide. I learned you just don't cut the old one off and slap on a new one - expecially if it's the first one you've ever done. Takes some time.
Paul Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 10:58 AM   #4
MOTHERTRUCKERS

PAUL where did you get door skins that wrap around the existing skins? I have never heard of them.
Old 07-07-2002, 11:45 AM   #5
Paul Clark

Didn't do it on purpose. Bought the lower section from a local guy who deals in old Chevy truck parts. Cut off the lower quarter of the door and then found out I had 1/2" - 3/4 play in the patch panel from side to side. Guy at the body shop said it was meant to fit over the existing skin and that's all you can get for this year(s) truck. I dunno. Just repeating what I was told. I put the one side on flush and had to bend the other. Real buggar, 'cause it already had a 45 degree lip on it. This is how we learn, I guess.
Old 07-07-2002, 12:26 PM   #6
ebfabman

Paul, I could be wrong but I think you were misinformed about door skins that were meant to fit over the old ones. In well over twenty five years in metal working and paint/body-auto resto, I've never heard of a door panel or any other repair panel that fits over the damaged one. That would make a situation that would be somewhat difficult to treat for rust prevention.

Sounds like you just got ahold of a panel that was not quite right. Seems like you must have done a good job of making it fit.
ebfabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2002, 12:51 PM   #7
Paul Clark

Hey, I always seem to luck out like that. Bought 2 left shoes once.
Time will tell what kind of job I did. Will know more after I hang the doors. Removed the hinges and striker plates, so now I don't have a clue how to get them back on there straight.
Wish I knew someone around here with your experience.
Old 07-08-2002, 12:46 AM   #8
chevyman 68 C/10

ebfabman is right ,even if it was designed to go over the old panel it would be too wide to make your gap to the cab and fender right.

68 Chevy short fleet side 400 sb 5 inch chop top pb. ps. pw. 350 auto and shaved handles

68 anniversary no engine long wheel base 400 auto FOR SALE

68 Chevy fleet side long wheel base complete parts truck.
chevyman 68 C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote