The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Info Center > FAQ Truck Tech > 67-72

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-13-2007, 01:05 PM   #1
70GMCer

Installing Firebird Markers

Thought I'd give this a try. Worked out good. Think it looks good also. The Firebird markers are from 1970 to 1981. I got mine at a pick u part yard for $8 and invested another $10 for new gaskets that are repo.

The only special tools you will need are sheet metal snips or unless you want to use a cut off wheel. I didn't want to go that way due to the heat that would be near the paint. The rest are just regular hand tools.

Just follow the pictures I have provided. The only really hard part is attaching the rear markers. I'll get into that later.

1st thing is remove the marker lights. You will also have to remove the tail light assemblies in order to reach the one speed nut when installing the new markers later.

Next, take your snips and cut away the metal tabs as shown in the picture. The take and paint those cut edges with either primer or something to keep from rusting. Keep in mine, that this is a one time install. Once you cut away the tabs, you will not be able to reinstall your old marker lights.

Now take the Firebird markers and remove the flange that is around the outer edge. Shown in picture. This is just plastic, and will break off easy with pliers. I then took an X-Acto knife, any sharp knife will do, and smoothed out the edges so that the housing lays flat up against the inside of the fender/bed panel.

Installing the fronts are simple. Just hold the housing to the inside of the fender, while putting on the new gaskets and then the trim pieces. Tighten the speed nuts until the lens is flush with the trim piece install the bulb light and socket and that's it.

Now the rears are a little more annoying. You will have to either have skinny arms, or find someone who does. As before, cut the tabs and prep the housings. Connect the bulb housing to the marker housing before installing this. If you miss this step, good luck on reaching the housing socket from behind the panel. This is the only thing I do not like about this setup. I'm thinking later on, cutting a special section out of the bed side for easy access if you ever have to change the bulb. Anyway, start the speed nut that is close to the tail light opening. I took a small 3/3" box wrench and carefully threaded it onto the stud. Then, from under the bed side, Take the box wrench and place the second speed nut up inside to the stud. You will have to play around to feel for it. Believe me, this is a pain. But worth it. That's why I think making an opening from the inside will work.

The final pictures makes it worth the effort. Not bad for just an $18 investment. Oh, I paint the trim the color of my truck before installing.
Attached Images

1965 Mustang