The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #301
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

It's hard to tell in the pic, but those original motor mount brackets don't look to be the ones for the 292, Are they both the same length? If they are, then they will work just fine for your 350. In these trucks the small blocks and the 230/250 used the same motor mounts and brackets. Those '85 motor mounts and brackets can be used as well. You will have to make a spacer on the top of the frame as these older frames are shorter than the '73-'87 C10's. I actually prefer this style of motor mounts as they are a much better design......IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Thanks K1, I look forward to that.
I was going to get the spring loaded plate frame like what is on the back of our Pontiacs, but when I was fooling around with this fill door, it struck me that it stays open, which the classic Pontiac ones dont do. I figure I will reverse rotate it 90* and mount up my rear plate frame to it and call it good!

Yeah, again last night, the freekin bolts that marry up the brake booster to the resevoir are 15mm. Le'Sigh.....
Started refurbishing parts last night, got the sway bar ready to mount up, Power Steering gear box, and the Power Brakes set up done.

My question of the day....
In this pic I have the frame mounts for the 350 that came out of the GMC Sierra on the left, motor mounts are still on the engine.
On the right are the frame and motor mounts from the IL6 292 that was in the truck originally. I have seen on this site what appears to be guys who have used each of them, and each with some sort of modification.

Either the left ones from the GMC where the bottom holes will bolt right in to the crossmember with some shortening or adapter plate on the top frame rails.
~OR~
The IL6 ones with an adapter plate to fit the motor mounts that are on the engine now.

My question at this point is which is better?
The concern I suppose is going to be fire wall clearance, and forward-back distances for the radiator and driveline......

Any ideas, or am I going to have to trial and error this by mocking it all up first?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #302
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

I've used both types of motor mount perches in my 'explorations'. The originals, if not 292 mounts, will be a drop in as previously mentioned by Cap'n Fab. Decide if you want front or rear position. The 80's style will need to be set at the proper width so the mounts line up. I dont know how the Cap'n did it, but I measured and mounted. Probably easier to line up by putting them on the engine and swinging it over the frame; watch the fingers!!
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:40 PM   #303
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
It's hard to tell in the pic, but those original motor mount brackets don't look to be the ones for the 292, Are they both the same length? If they are, then they will work just fine for your 350. In these trucks the small blocks and the 230/250 used the same motor mounts and brackets. Those '85 motor mounts and brackets can be used as well. You will have to make a spacer on the top of the frame as these older frames are shorter than the '73-'87 C10's. I actually prefer this style of motor mounts as they are a much better design......IMO.
Yes sir they are the same length, and minus the grime, are as I pulled them off the frame after I got rid of the 292 IL 6 motor they were bolted to.
I think I am with you on using the '85s though. Like you said I will have to make a spacer for them which will give me more wiggle room for errors on my part. They also look like they would sit lower than the thinner, and taller original frame mount brackets and be stronger IMO. I also wont have to change or modify the engine mounts to marry up to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protrash64 View Post
I've used both types of motor mount perches in my 'explorations'. The originals, if not 292 mounts, will be a drop in as previously mentioned by Cap'n Fab. Decide if you want front or rear position. The 80's style will need to be set at the proper width so the mounts line up. I dont know how the Cap'n did it, but I measured and mounted. Probably easier to line up by putting them on the engine and swinging it over the frame; watch the fingers!!
Yeah Pro, I am thinking that before I get too far along, I will mock it all up with the engine hoist and see how it sits and fits. The plan is to use the same water pump with the centrifugal fan and the fan shroud, I should mock up the radiator and core support as well.
And then nuke it from orbit......

You know.

Just to be sure....

Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate your knowledge more than I can say.
FWIW, I didnt do a dang thing to the truck except do a paint scheme test on a piece of plate metal.
Yesterday took the wife skiing for the first time this season since it was 9* warm out there and the 6" of fresh powder snow we got this week. Today just hanging out in the bathrobe doing admin work in the house (finances and internet surfing)
If the weather persists, we may go skiing again next weekend at a much larger resort, gotta get it in now before the snow goes away !!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 03:36 AM   #304
57truckguy

Thumbs up Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Sarge, may I put my 2 cents in here and make a suggestion that in the long run you will be better off getting an aftermarket wiring harnest... EZ Wire sells a complete 22 fuse kit for about $175 and it is color coded and labled on each wire. In my humble opinion it would be a lot more work and not as safe, seeing that the wire is from a 30+ years old vehicle, I found that I can completely wire a truck in a day or two with the new kit.. Call them and talk to them... They also offer free service to help you trace down thoes wierd electrical happens that will surely be a part of your vehicle completion.. When i did my truck the dash lights binked with the 4 way fashers and one call to them and they knew just what I had done wrong or incorrect. Took me 3 weeks to get up the nerve to call them and 2 minutes for them to dianose the problem and 5 minutes for me to fix once I knew where to look.. They use a GM fuse box and it can be mounted wherever you want, you just have to tell them when you order. Just my 2 cents. They also have a mini fuse box if you prefer, just giveing you options and personal experience. .
57truckguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 12:58 AM   #305
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57truckguy View Post
Sarge, may I put my 2 cents in here and make a suggestion that in the long run you will be better off getting an aftermarket wiring harnest... EZ Wire sells a complete 22 fuse kit for about $175 and it is color coded and labled on each wire. In my humble opinion it would be a lot more work and not as safe, seeing that the wire is from a 30+ years old vehicle, I found that I can completely wire a truck in a day or two with the new kit.. Call them and talk to them... They also offer free service to help you trace down thoes wierd electrical happens that will surely be a part of your vehicle completion.. When i did my truck the dash lights binked with the 4 way fashers and one call to them and they knew just what I had done wrong or incorrect. Took me 3 weeks to get up the nerve to call them and 2 minutes for them to dianose the problem and 5 minutes for me to fix once I knew where to look.. They use a GM fuse box and it can be mounted wherever you want, you just have to tell them when you order. Just my 2 cents. They also have a mini fuse box if you prefer, just giveing you options and personal experience. .
Thanks for the input, and when you put it in a 30 year old context, it does weigh in favor of your suggestion!

So yesterday I got my fresh air intake grill and my hood latch assy back from the sand blaster. I also got my shipment from LMC with the d-side floor pan I needed along with all the other stuff I ordered from them. Yesterday I tinkered with the hood latch assy, and painted it so it is ready to assemble and set aside to await its turn in when I start putting the truck back together.
I will post pics of that when I put it all together with my hood release set up.

Today I fixed the rocker panel that I was so proud of .... LOL

This is what it looked like earlier this month when I "finished" with it the first time.
Name:  04feb12 (16).jpg
Views: 1155
Size:  27.4 KB

This is after I cut my welds, thank goodness I have a dremel tool, it got in the corners a lot easier than my grinder did.
Name:  28feb12 pside rocker redo (1).jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  31.5 KB

Then I re-hung my door and checked clearance, you can see the semi-circle where the forward bottom corner rubbed. This is where it was binding and would not allow the door to fully open.
Name:  28feb12 pside rocker redo (2).jpg
Views: 1150
Size:  27.2 KB

This is with the door off again, just before I re-welded it up in place. I only tacked it in tonight, ran out of time before dinner. I will re-hang the door to check it, and finish it up tomorrow, and post a pic or two of the job ( hopefully done right this time )
Name:  28feb12 pside rocker redo (3).jpg
Views: 1132
Size:  25.8 KB

Thanks for taking a look; this is what, how, and why you guys told me
to fit my door when doing this job!!
Your patience with me is not going unnoticed !!! LOL

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #306
57truckguy

I know I get a little or a lot long winded sometimes but I mean well..
\Great catch on the door.. will save you a bunch later..
Old 02-29-2012, 11:40 AM   #307
Chad215

thanks for posting the pic of the rocker panel. I had been reading these guys' posts about clearance, etc...but couldn't quite visualize what the potential issues could be.
Should be very helpful for myself and others when we attempt these same repairs. Great job as always
Old 02-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #308
rmvlt1100

SSG McMurphy, just catching up on your build and looks and sounds like it coming along good. I had the same issue with my passenger side rocker. I had to buy another new one to fix mine. I also talked with a couple of other guys that had the same issue with their passenger side rocker. Did you have any issues with the drivers side rocker? Mine went on with out any issues. Good luck on the rest of the build.
rmvlt1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #309
McMurphy

Quote:
I know I get a little or a lot long winded sometimes but I mean well..
\Great catch on the door.. will save you a bunch later..
Nope, dont worry about it at all man, no matter how long the delivery, the message is clear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad215 View Post
thanks for posting the pic of the rocker panel. I had been reading these guys' posts about clearance, etc...but couldn't quite visualize what the potential issues could be.
Should be very helpful for myself and others when we attempt these same repairs. Great job as always
Thanks Chad.
I envy guys that learn best by reading, watching, or being told something because I seem to learn best when it is done painfully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmvlt1100 View Post
SSG McMurphy, just catching up on your build and looks and sounds like it coming along good. I had the same issue with my passenger side rocker. I had to buy another new one to fix mine. I also talked with a couple of other guys that had the same issue with their passenger side rocker. Did you have any issues with the drivers side rocker? Mine went on with out any issues. Good luck on the rest of the build.
Thanks for the kind words, they are always encouraging!

The Garrison Deputy Commander is retiring today and last night was his going away dinner, so since my wife works a few doors down from them in the Post HQ, we had to attend. Otherwise I would have finished my p-side rocker last night. With any luck I will get to it tonight. The d-side is this weekend, after potential skiiing !!!!

I will post more pics as progress occurs.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #310
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

The bright side is we all learn from each other.
I tune in on your thread often.

Quote:
Thanks for the input, and when you put it in a 30 year old context, it does weigh in favor of your suggestion!

So yesterday I got my fresh air intake grill and my hood latch assy back from the sand blaster. I also got my shipment from LMC with the d-side floor pan I needed along with all the other stuff I ordered from them. Yesterday I tinkered with the hood latch assy, and painted it so it is ready to assemble and set aside to await its turn in when I start putting the truck back together.
I will post pics of that when I put it all together with my hood release set up.

Today I fixed the rocker panel that I was so proud of .... LOL

This is what it looked like earlier this month when I "finished" with it the first time.
Attachment 881625

This is after I cut my welds, thank goodness I have a dremel tool, it got in the corners a lot easier than my grinder did.
Attachment 881626

Then I re-hung my door and checked clearance, you can see the semi-circle where the forward bottom corner rubbed. This is where it was binding and would not allow the door to fully open.
Attachment 881627

This is with the door off again, just before I re-welded it up in place. I only tacked it in tonight, ran out of time before dinner. I will re-hang the door to check it, and finish it up tomorrow, and post a pic or two of the job ( hopefully done right this time )
Attachment 881628

Thanks for taking a look; this is what, how, and why you guys told me
to fit my door when doing this job!!
Your patience with me is not going unnoticed !!! LOL
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #311
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

Quote:
So this poor cab corner/shoulder has had to be a major training ground for me, on top of the obvious beating it took many many years ago.

I posted the pics from what it was when I found all the bondo, to what it looks like tonight after I have sanded down my very first slinging of da mud !!

weird to think the pics in date order are:
26 Nov 11
26 Dec 11
30 Dec 11
04 Feb 12
07 Feb 12

I guess that says I dont focus on any one thing for very long any more, eh?
I missed this fix.
Any tips?
I'll still need to do that on my 66.
Posted via Mobile Device

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #312
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMy65 View Post
I missed this fix.
Any tips?
I'll still need to do that on my 66.
Asking me for tips on welding or fitting of patch panels is sheer comedy in the making LOL !!
The only thing I think would add would be to measure measure measure, and if you still have a doubt, measure again. Then cut sparingly and trim as needed, it is better to trim a piece 3 times than to have to add a filler....

and if you need to fabricate something for bends or contours for a specialized plate or direction, make a tiny trial guide. I thought I was rocking along all nice and good, only to find I had bent my contours in the wrong direction.

Otherwise I am just slugging away in the dark with this stuff....
Good Luck man, I like you build too.

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-02-2012, 06:32 PM   #313
57truckguy

I feel your pain. Lol. When making the fuel and brake lines there is or was no end to the comedy of errors I made. Just glad I didn't,t use SS. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #314
flips72

truck is looking great, i too had the same problems with my rocker but it was on both sides, my gap was even at the bottom of the door but the front coner rubed just like yours so i just massaged the area wher the rub was until i had the right clearence and all is good. nice tear down on the donor truck you do very good work.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:01 PM   #315
McMurphy

Quote:
I feel your pain. Lol. When making the fuel and brake lines there is or was no end to the comedy of errors I made. Just glad I didn't,t use SS. Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
I have to commiserate with you on fuel lines there 57... On my Tempest I bent some beautiful lines for my fuel pump to carb, and vacuum advance to carb and thought I was the shiznit!!
Then when I bought the lines for the tranny coolant, I got them about a foot too long, and I was in tube bending hell.... They are at the top of my list of things to fix on it before I show it this summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
truck is looking great, i too had the same problems with my rocker but it was on both sides, my gap was even at the bottom of the door but the front coner rubed just like yours so i just massaged the area wher the rub was until i had the right clearence and all is good. nice tear down on the donor truck you do very good work.
Thanks Flips, it is awesome to get such kind words from you guys that are doing the types of builds I wish I could.
I am in the middle of doing my whole d-side right now. I goofed up the floor pan and cut it VERY poorly and have finally made the decision to get another and have a second go at it due to the amount of foot traffic that side of the vehicle gets.
Guess it was destined to happen though right after giving LostMy65 such stellar advice ..... LOL ....
You guys realize that being Irish is almost a curse right? Luck of the Irish is a string of cuss words sometimes

I have some pics, but I am trying to hold off on posting progress pics in the order that I do them. What I have seen in this build diary is that I tend to work projects/parts based on what parts or tools I have at the time, or what I can do in the time allowed. So I have been trying to save them up and post like I did on that p-side shoulder/corner repair that I did. I thought that was a much cleaner post and better entertainment for you guys.

Anyways, more to come.
Thanks for taking a look and leaving a thought or two!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #316
chad64chevy

mcmurphy, i'll send you those jeep door checks when i get off work tomorrow and will send you a tracking number!! it didnt take you long to strip that donor truck and atleast your getting somewhere on yours i had to but mine on hold a lil bit! i'm wantin for so nice weather around 70-80* for a week so i can do my big back window and my rockers! i'm also coping you on the grille support patches for around the frame horn notches, i found out the since i have my truck on a 70' frame the frame horn area is 1 in. lower then a 64 frame is so i dont have to notch the frame and lower the bumper, just line them up and weld them! then i can fill in the grille support to make it look not noticeable!!! anyways keep it up, and i know what you mean when the guys that build nice trucks comment on your build!! it kind of makes you want to go do something to your truck!!
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 12:39 AM   #317
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
mcmurphy, i'll send you those jeep door checks when i get off work tomorrow and will send you a tracking number!! it didnt take you long to strip that donor truck and atleast your getting somewhere on yours i had to but mine on hold a lil bit! i'm wantin for so nice weather around 70-80* for a week so i can do my big back window and my rockers! i'm also coping you on the grille support patches for around the frame horn notches, i found out the since i have my truck on a 70' frame the frame horn area is 1 in. lower then a 64 frame is so i dont have to notch the frame and lower the bumper, just line them up and weld them! then i can fill in the grille support to make it look not noticeable!!! anyways keep it up, and i know what you mean when the guys that build nice trucks comment on your build!! it kind of makes you want to go do something to your truck!!
Thank you
Thank you
Thank you Chad !! Those door checks will be awesome!

You really nailed it when you said it makes you want to do something to your truck! When I see stuff like that I want to go do something BIG and NICE and FLASHY that will make me Oooooo and Ahhhhhhh .... then I realize I am trying to sculpt like Leonardo Di'Vinci but I dont have the skills to work with playdoh.

But anyways, will jump back into it tomorrow, and after it is all said and done, it is fun !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #318
57truckguy

I was in tube bending hell....

Been there done that. bought a T shirt.. LOL
Old 03-14-2012, 09:48 PM   #319
McMurphy

It was like Christmas in the mailbox today!
A stack of fresh DVDs from our wonderful Amazon.com.
A box of goodies from Classic Industries
and a parcel from a board member!!

Mostly with the insane shipping charges I have been trying to lump as much stuff into a parts order as possible, so even though I am NoWhere near needing them yet, I did still order my arm rests, and the ignition bezel I didn't have.

This weekend I get to finish my d-side floor though now that my new pan came in! Yay Team.

I am also going to play with these Jeep donor door checks!
I may get to it one day this week after work if I can get home early enough....

Thanks for looking guys!
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-15-2012, 08:49 AM   #320
chad64chevy

awesome glad you got the door checks i sent! the arm rest you got are about the same as the ones i'm going to order, but i'm getting the grey and black arm rest to match my interior better, good luck with everything
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:09 PM   #321
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
awesome glad you got the door checks i sent! the arm rest you got are about the same as the ones i'm going to order, but i'm getting the grey and black arm rest to match my interior better, good luck with everything
I was going to get the grey and black... but decided not to due to the probability of me getting them grease and gunk stained. The top, padded cushion part of these are vinyl and textured just so you know.

Thanks again for the door checks, cannot wait to dink around with them !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-16-2012, 06:56 PM   #322
ddubbs

Well it's been awhile. Looks like everything is coming along great. What did you end up doing with the white 84 truck you tore down. Are you going to sell any body panels of it. Lmk thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
ddubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #323
ddubbs

Hey so I was doing some catching up on your thread. If your still looking for a disc brake frontend and steering I believe I have a complete setup. Lmk it's out of a 72. Should be a direct bolt up.
ddubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:12 PM   #324
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubbs View Post
Well it's been awhile. Looks like everything is coming along great. What did you end up doing with the white 84 truck you tore down. Are you going to sell any body panels of it. Lmk thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
The '85 Sierra is out front with a "Parts for Sale" in the window!
Joe231 has inquired about the front clip for body parts and interior is all so far. The tranny is there because I dont intend to use it. etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddubbs View Post
Hey so I was doing some catching up on your thread. If your still looking for a disc brake frontend and steering I believe I have a complete setup. Lmk it's out of a 72. Should be a direct bolt up.
I would love to get that disc set up from you, otherwise Action Auto was going to roll an early 70s rig over and let me cut the front cross member off the frame.
Shoot me a PM with your contact info, or swing by the Hospital some time. Anyone at the front desk can find me for you, I run the Operating Room Department !!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #325
yukon

McMurphy, you still looking for a bench seat, have some out of 70's pickups. If your needing any other parts or help hit me up.
yukon is offline   Reply With Quote