The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-24-2020, 06:20 PM   #1
tdishon

outside sunvisor

I like the look of the sunvisor that attaches to the header outside above the windshield. I'm a little worried that it will be loud and not hold up on the freeway when doing 80-85mph. Any experience?
Old 07-25-2020, 12:10 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: outside sunvisor

Can't see why anyone wants one of those ugly things but it must be a midwest/Ozark thing.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #3
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Can't see why anyone wants one of those ugly things but it must be a midwest/Ozark thing.
Seems to be a love hate thing and they are not cheap. I have one and at this point plan on using it. I have 2 NIB viewers that also were hard to find and almost as much as the visor. I'll make my decision when the time comes. I think it's a midwest thing also. My next build will be easier because I have so many extra parts from changing my mind.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #4
mr48chev

It may be just me but no one except Migrant fruit pickers from the Ozarks ever had them on their cars or trucks around here in the 50's or 60's I don't think the local Chevy dealer even sold them on new rigs as you don't see locally sold Chevy trucks of any year with visors.
The Visor thing didn't start with main stream car and truck guys until Lowrider Magazine showed up on the stands in the mid 70's with the East LA bomba rides that had all the fru fru on them that many new to the hobby guys now think is a requirement. You just never saw a visor in a magazine before that outside the rare shot of an East La style bomb lowrider.

Check any old car magazines from the 50's 60's and early 70's and you will see no fixed up ride with a visor. Even Rick Hovings Custom Chronicles that shows most of the early customs shows no visors on any of them.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 03:14 PM   #5
joedoh

whats the 55-59 visor look like? I guess it depends on how it attaches, the middle will be really susceptible to higher speed (especially when you pass a semi), the older 47-53 visors had a tie to the windshield center bar and the 54-55.1 had a center tie that bolts to the roof. I feel like the 55.2 already has a little visor above the windshield.

I agree with mr48 that its a preference thing, seeing them on the outside is kind of cool for me but looking at the back side of it from the inside is like.. you know those restaurants that dont finish the ceiling? its just open metal spans and spars and HVAC ducting. thats what it reminds me of. do what you like though, thats just my cruddy opinion worth what it costs.

imagine sitting in a truck cab for 10 hours in the midwest sun harvesting wheat, I would probably love a visor.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 04:08 PM   #6
Russell Ashley

Quote:
I don't think visors are associated with any certain part of the country as they are popular here in Georgia, and apparently many other places too, as many trucks I see on EBay have them. The first time I ever saw one after I got my TF I knew that I would be getting one for my truck. Some like them, some don't, but that's what makes the hobby interesting.
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:01 PM   #7
tdishon

I saw a visor on the 2019 SEMA best design award by Hammer Fab. It looks good. I think they look great if done right. So many things in the 50's thru 2000's look horrible on the trucks now. It seems the new trend is subtle mods with traditional looks. Colors seem to be heading back to more original colors. Again, every build is different as is every owners taste.
Attached Images

Old 07-25-2020, 10:24 PM   #8
joedoh

well that looks pretty good, not like the staring at a bridge abutment of the older truck visors.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:07 PM   #9
_Ogre

this ogre has to fold in half to see traffic lights as is, i imagine i'd need to stick my head out the window with a visor

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 02:14 PM   #10
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
this ogre has to fold in half to see traffic lights as is, i imagine i'd need to stick my head out the window with a visor
That's why you need the fulton viewer at about $300. That's what some call hidden charges.
Old 07-26-2020, 02:20 PM   #11
Dan in Pasadena

I don't care for them as the Task Force trucks come from the factory with a small
"visor"/sun guard built into the roof already much like the '56 F100.

To each his own, I won't ever put one on mine.

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:21 AM   #12
my56chevytruck

Quote:
I like them and have seen them in all parts of the country. it's a personal thing, to each their own.
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 09:22 AM   #13
my56chevytruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdishon View Post
I saw a visor on the 2019 SEMA best design award by Hammer Fab. It looks good. I think they look great if done right. So many things in the 50's thru 2000's look horrible on the trucks now. It seems the new trend is subtle mods with traditional looks. Colors seem to be heading back to more original colors. Again, every build is different as is every owners taste.
you are right, to each their own. I like them. this looks very good!!
my56chevytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 07:17 AM   #14
53burb

that's what these were for.....

https://www.ebay.com/i/263138158949?...iABEgLSYfD_BwE
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:22 AM   #15
Jemezcrusher

I think they look pretty cool. I have one on my 50 but was concerned about the mounting. They basically want you to run screws down into the drip rails which seemed silly to me. I welded little tabs into the drip rails and put threaded holes in them and then used some blue thread locker on the screws to keep them in place
Jemezcrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 09:50 AM   #16
paulspickupparts

Quote:
It may be just me but no one except Migrant fruit pickers from the Ozarks ever had them on their cars or trucks around here in the 50's or 60's I don't think the local Chevy dealer even sold them on new rigs as you don't see locally sold Chevy trucks of any year with visors.
The Visor thing didn't start with main stream car and truck guys until Lowrider Magazine showed up on the stands in the mid 70's with the East LA bomba rides that had all the fru fru on them that many new to the hobby guys now think is a requirement. You just never saw a visor in a magazine before that outside the rare shot of an East La style bomb lowrider.

Check any old car magazines from the 50's 60's and early 70's and you will see no fixed up ride with a visor. Even Rick Hovings Custom Chronicles that shows most of the early customs shows no visors on any of them.
In the last 40 years of scrounging the yards I have run across a few. they were not that common . When I did find them they were usually on more of a high end well optioned truck . Cameos seem to find more of them than other trucks. Cameo owners already had their preference for bling and the visor only added to that . I think they look ok . I have a waiting list of two buyers that want an original and are will to pay good $$$ . They specifically told me they do not want a repo.

Like anything it is in the eye of the beholder

Like lowered or lifted - some like some hate
20 inch wheels - some like some hate
rat rod - some like some hate
shop truck unpainted -some like some hate
chopped trucks -some like some hate
restore verses modified -some like some hate

I never belittle anyone one what they prefer If I did that would open everything up on my trucks

With that being said this was a very rare option found on very few trucks. The original mounting seemed to hold them on just fine but not sure how many were going 80 mph in 1959 . Hah
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 10:36 PM   #17
53burb

FWIW, I like the way they look on lowriders and rods...I have an uncle that has a '58 Chevy 1/2ton on his. It's not a lowrider....just average 58, chrome rims, RWL tires, etc....looks good.....back in the 80s/90s, when chrome was more popular, I had a '76 GMC 4x4 (until I rolled it in 2001) and had a chrome visor on it for a short time...maybe about a month. I took it off, not because of the way it looked, but because you can definately feel the wind resistance with it on. So, if you take long freeway drives, you may not want to go that route....my uncle even mentioned it to me about that on his truck.
53burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 11:22 PM   #18
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53burb View Post

that's what these were for.....

https://www.ebay.com/i/263138158949?...iABEgLSYfD_BwE
Here is an original viewer.
Attached Images

Old 08-03-2020, 12:27 PM   #19
_Ogre

i'm still laughing
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:03 PM   #20
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post

i'm still laughing
I bought this one for $300, it's flawless. I have another one NIB I paid $275 for that is almost as nice.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:57 AM   #21
GMCNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
In the last 40 years of scrounging the yards I have run across a few. they were not that common . When I did find them they were usually on more of a high end well optioned truck . Cameos seem to find more of them than other trucks. Cameo owners already had their preference for bling and the visor only added to that . I think they look ok . I have a waiting list of two buyers that want an original and are will to pay good $$$ . They specifically told me they do not want a repo.

Like lowered or lifted - some like some hate
20 inch wheels - some like some hate
rat rod - some like some hate
shop truck unpainted -some like some hate
chopped trucks -some like some hate
restore verses modified -some like some hate

I never belittle anyone one what they prefer If I did that would open everything up on my trucks

With that being said this was a very rare option found on very few trucks. The original mounting seemed to hold them on just fine but not sure how many were going 80 mph in 1959 . Hah
Well said Paul!
1961 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 283 V8 & Powerglide w/ uber-rare Cool-Pack A/C, factory PB, deluxe heat, Clock
1961 GMC K1000 4x4 SWB w/ BBW, Custom Cab and numbers matching 305D V6 engine & 4 spd
1960 GMC SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 305A V6 & Hydramatic, factory PB, Clock, Tach, Compass, Hood Jet
1959 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab w/ rare stainless bed trim, #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, Deluxe Heat, radio, spotlight
1958 Chevy Cameo #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, radio, window washers, Factory PB
1958 GMC BBW SWB Fleetside Custom Cab, #'s matching 336 V8 Hydramatic, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Deluxe Heat & Hood Jet
1957 GMC Suburban Pickup (GMC's Cameo) #'s matching 347 V8 Hydramatic, uber-rare vacuum ashtray, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Hood Jet
1956 Chevy 3800 1 ton w/ rare 9 ft stepside bed, factory 265 V8 w/ Hydramatic, factory PB, Custom Cab, deluxe heat, spotlight and hood jet.
GMCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 10:59 AM   #22
GMCNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I bought this one for $300, it's flawless. I have another one NIB I paid $275 for that is almost as nice.
You paid $300 and bought the generic one that is not the GM accessory which warrants that price. This design was sold at Western Auto and is not the high dollar one. I think you can get this one you bought a lot cheaper
1961 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 283 V8 & Powerglide w/ uber-rare Cool-Pack A/C, factory PB, deluxe heat, Clock
1961 GMC K1000 4x4 SWB w/ BBW, Custom Cab and numbers matching 305D V6 engine & 4 spd
1960 GMC SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 305A V6 & Hydramatic, factory PB, Clock, Tach, Compass, Hood Jet
1959 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab w/ rare stainless bed trim, #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, Deluxe Heat, radio, spotlight
1958 Chevy Cameo #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, radio, window washers, Factory PB
1958 GMC BBW SWB Fleetside Custom Cab, #'s matching 336 V8 Hydramatic, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Deluxe Heat & Hood Jet
1957 GMC Suburban Pickup (GMC's Cameo) #'s matching 347 V8 Hydramatic, uber-rare vacuum ashtray, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Hood Jet
1956 Chevy 3800 1 ton w/ rare 9 ft stepside bed, factory 265 V8 w/ Hydramatic, factory PB, Custom Cab, deluxe heat, spotlight and hood jet.
GMCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 05:30 PM   #23
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
You paid $300 and bought the generic one that is not the GM accessory which warrants that price. This design was sold at Western Auto and is not the high dollar one. I think you can get this one you bought a lot cheaper
Definatly can find them cheaper. I have never seen one this clear before. They normally have a lot of imperfections in them. I now it doesn't matter for the performance but I had to have it. It's a Fulton.
Old 08-06-2020, 09:39 PM   #24
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post

Like lowered or lifted - I like them both ways IF they're well done
20 inch wheels - Not a fan much.
rat rod - REALLY dislike them em
shop truck unpainted -If not decades of neglect & rust and called "patina" -
chopped trucks - Haven't seen a chopped pickup yet that I've truly liked
restore verses modified - I like them both ways

I never belittle anyone one what they prefer. If I did that would open everything up on my trucks.
Totally agree on not belittling. I don't believe in belittling anyone or anything, to each their own. But I don't think saying you don't like something is necessarily "belittling".

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:26 AM   #25
nail pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdishon View Post
I like the look of the sunvisor that attaches to the header outside above the windshield. I'm a little worried that it will be loud and not hold up on the freeway when doing 80-85mph. Any experience?
Love or hate it, doesn't matter to me. I can tell you that it doesn't fly off at 85mph. The wind noise at 85 is loud, but its not just from the visor, thats for sure. FWIW I'm not a migrant worker. Lol.
Attached Images

nail pounder is offline   Reply With Quote