The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2020, 06:37 PM   #26
Old65C10

Re: Jeep Steering shaft

I read somewhere that this is only for the 1/2 2wd trucks. I was told the shafts are not up to the task for a 3/4 4x4 and will fail. Is this true? Has anyone had any experience with this?
Old65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #27
Axle

Considering the shaft is for a 4x4 Cherokee and 4x4 commanche, I have my doubts being a 4wd will play significantly into it. My question would be, is a 4x4 Chevy steering box input the same as the 2wd model?
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:24 PM   #28
kipps

In theory, the weight of the vehicle and the size of the tires should have nothing to do with it. The only variables of concern, are the diameter of the steering wheel, and the arm strength of the driver.

The jeep shaft would have been designed so that a typical driver could not put enough muscle into the wheel to break anything. The only reason it would be different for our trucks, is if we're using a larger diameter steering wheel.
1987 C6P V20 truck, 2010 LMG 5.3, AFM delete, 2010 Camaro exhaust manifolds, 1997 nv4500, 1991 np241c, hydroboost, 2005 14bff axle & driveshaft, drop-n-lock gooseneck, 4.10 gears, stock suspension, rims, and tires. Still a work in progress. Any questions or suggestions are welcome!
kipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #29
Old65C10

Thanks, I will have to see if I can find one.
Old65C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 03:52 PM   #30
Axle

A little update. Short lesson learned: make sure the jeep shaft slides freely-especially if you have rubber cab bushings still, the flex of the cab vs the fixed frame point is very real. Get rid of all the plastic from the inner shaft.

Wall of text warning. =-)

When I first 'melted' the aftermarket shaft apart I gave it just enough heat to let things slide apart to minimize any heat getting to the vibration damper. I then sanded the remaining plastic smooth thinking I'll leave it there for a good snug fit. Well, getting a bit extra spirited in my driving this past week I got a popping in the steering wheel when turning. First thought was oh crap, so much for aftermarket, but some things of note (I did lube up the slip joint initially for reference sake, and I did notice a slight bind in the slip joint, but figured meh.mistake on my part) one particularily hot day of doing more than my usual driving I noticed no popping. Only in the morning. (aha I says, something doesn't like the cold). Then the spirited driving comes into play, I get a pop when standing on the brakes hard. And I got popping at the stop light drags, no turning just straight lines. Little light flickers in my head and says hey dummy, you still got rubber bushings in this truck, she's moving to her own waves. Basically a bit of experimentation while driving over the last week--no I wasn't worried about things flying apart, seemed to confirm it wasn't a binding u-joint. Pulled the lower part of the jeep shaft out this morning, broke off the plastic collar on the inner shaft, sanded it a bit to make sure no rough edges, slopped the spot that had the plastic full of grease, a big dollop of grease shoved into the outer shaft, slipped together smoothly, tightened it back up and... todays test driving, so far so good, back to smooth precise steering and no popping. Obviously longer term is the real test, but I drive it to work everyday, it'll get a workout. If it acts up again, you guys will know about it. But free movement of the slip joint seems to be essential for operation under all conditions.

Of course, just one more thing on the short todo list now; poly cab bushings.

Alex.
Axle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:33 PM   #31
v30crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old65C10 View Post
I read somewhere that this is only for the 1/2 2wd trucks. I was told the shafts are not up to the task for a 3/4 4x4 and will fail. Is this true? Has anyone had any experience with this?
Been running one on my 1 ton crew 4x4 for many years. no issues.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=522535
v30crewcab is offline   Reply With Quote