The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-28-2020, 04:34 PM   #1
HellaciousA

Pulling the plug on an unfinished C10 project

Here's my project thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679611

I've invested probably close to 40k to get it to this point. It needs at least another 20k to finish, but as life happens, I don't have the time or funds to keep moving forward. The truck was not supposed to be a full frame off build, but it quickly snowballed into a protouring project that I thought I could finish within in 2-3 years. I'm on year 5, have a 10 month old baby, looking to have another in the next year, and also need to buy a house within the next 2 years (if not sooner). The money I could recoup from selling the project would help a lot for getting a home. In retrospect, I should have just ls swapped it and left the body alone. The original frame was twisted and diamond shaped, and the body had 6 layers of paint on it, and was full of bondo.

My family comes first, and I have 2 other high performance toys to keep me busy (an 04 GTO, and a 14 CTS-V). I regret starting something I can't finish, and now is the worst time to sell it, so I'm not planning to do anything until some type of economic recover starts to happen in the rest of the world. Maybe later on in my life I can reattempt another project, but I don't think it's in the cards for at least another 10-15 years (I'm 36 currently).

I've never sold an unfinished project before, so I'm looking for advice on what to do. Bringatrailer.com is an option to sell it complete as is, or go through the process of parting everything out separately, which would probably take a long time to get rid of. Here's a run down of what I have:

-No Limit Pro-10 Frame (viking coil overs, ford 9", 3.30 gears trutrac, wilwood 6 piston front, single piston rears). Upgraded splined roll bars, flaming river road race rack, rear side rail battery mount. Wilwood manual booster w/ proportioning valve, no limit fuel tank w/ upgraded fuel pump to run boost

-Factory A/c 1970 gmc c10 cab, media blasted, epoxy primered, new firewall, new cowl, new rockers (inner/outer), new cab corners, drip rails shaved, cab light shaved. Needs further body work to finish (roof, drip rails, and getting gaps tighter on the doors, and fitting the glass. High hump trans tunnel cover

-New hood w/ porterbuilt hinges, new fenders, new doors and latches

-New Windshield, new flush fit back glass

-Original bench seat, ididit column and steering shaft

-6.0 LQ4 from a 05 2500hd, street port/polish on 317 heads, Isky cam and springs, ls7 lifters, all new gaskets, all new sensors, block painted chevy orange, improved racing oil baffle, fbody pan, ls6 intake manifold and throttle body, holley fuel rails with 80 lb p/hr injectors, complete holley front accessory drive

-4L80E with hd2 shift kit and a jakes performance 2800 stall billet converter

-KB Racing 67-72 turbo kit with treadstone 1000hp intercooler, Borg Warner S480 turbo, w/ all hot/cold piping and ancillary items to make it work.

-Entropy aluminum radiator with dual fan shroud

-Holley dominator ECM and wire harnesses

I could probably get the truck running in the next 6 months, but I have no driveshaft nor do I have wheels that would clear the wilwood brakes (currently sitting on 17" rollers). I don't know if it's worth investing more money to get it to run and then sell or leave it as is. Typing this all up really sucks. My wife is not pressing me to sell it, but I don't want to pass up on an opportunity to buy a house just because I have money tied up in this project.
2014 Cadillac CTS-V Auto
HellaciousA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:29 PM   #2
jjzepplin

Re: Pulling the plug on an unfinished C10 project

Sorry to hear about the truck but Happy to hear about your family. Automobiles can be replaced. Myself, I would get it running and then sell it. It sounds like a nice start to a fine ride. May you find everything you are looking for and good luck sir!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 06:38 PM   #3
truckster

I too would do the minimum to get it running and then sell it. You're going to have a much harder time selling it as a non-running project.
Old 06-28-2020, 08:05 PM   #4
SkidmoreGarage

I would try to get it running with the original engine/transmission and sell whatever you haven't installed. Non-running project will net you at most $15k, especially if it isn't painted with glass in it.

Last edited by LockDoc; 06-28-2020 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Removed WTB indication. You have to be a premium member to post that.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 08:55 PM   #5
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Remember guys the OP can't sell anything on the board unless he becomes a premium member. (name in Blue) If it turns into a WTB/FS thread I will close it.

He is just looking for suggestions on what to do.

HellaciousA: The only thing I can tell you is that if you try to sell it as is, you will probably take it in the shorts no matter where you sell it.....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:24 AM   #6
NGN

May sound crazy but, maybe you can find someone that would buy it and pay you to complete it, I would figure in what you want for it as is and how much more it would to complete. Just a thought, if that may be of any help. Funny but this comes to mind, I tease my son when he gives me that teen mood, I'll tell him, your a really good kid, I bet I can trade you in for a really nice 67 Camaro, lol.
NGN
NICK
NGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:16 AM   #7
weim55

In my decades of doing this stuff I have definitely learned a vehicle is at its absolute most worthless state when it is a blown apart basket case. It really doesn’t matter how much money you have in various parts almost nobody will pay any real dough for a pile of parts. One good thing about living in 2020 is you have a lot of options to advertise and get your truck out there in the market. My advice is to not be cheap, you have a lot of money in that truck be willing to spend a couple hundred bucks in various advertising to hopefully get lucky and find that one fish that was going to build a truck just the way you have yours. My subscription here is a dirt cheap classified ad that a whole slew of Chevy truck guys are going to see, it’s a good start.......

Good luck,

Steve weim55 Colorado
weim55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #8
67C10Step

If you cast a wide net you might find just the right person who wants to start a project, knows what it takes, and can see how far ahead they would be in purchasing your project. You will probably have to be patient and be ready for the low ball know nothing know it all's and the guys wanting to swoop in and take advantage of a less than desirable situation.

I made a guy mad at me about a year ago on a 1974 Harley sportser. He had it blown apart for restoration and had taken another job so was moving. Folks there knew I was a bike guy and he asked me if I wanted to buy it. I told him I'd come pick it up from him for free if it was all apart but wouldn't pay anything for it. He got all mad and I told him at this point it's not a bike, just boxes of parts of unknown condition, and not sure if it was all even there. Then I told him his best bet was to take a weekend and reassemble the bike as a non running, complete bike was worth more than boxes of parts.

Your situation is similar but there is someone out there that recognizes what you have done, wants to so the same thing, and is willing to pay for what you have done. But, finding that person is the big hurdle.

Sorry for the change in plans. Life is what happens when you are making plans to do something else.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 02:33 PM   #9
jjzepplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGN View Post
May sound crazy but, maybe you can find someone that would buy it and pay you to complete it, I would figure in what you want for it as is and how much more it would to complete. Just a thought, if that may be of any help. Funny but this comes to mind, I tease my son when he gives me that teen mood, I'll tell him, your a really good kid, I bet I can trade you in for a really nice 67 Camaro, lol.
NGN
NICK
Much more creative than a lowball offer. Good on you! I know If I had an extra spot, that baby would be in my possession already.
Old 06-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #10
cypressbog
Go Pack Go!

I gave up on a 71 SWB 4x4 project 5 years ago. No one would buy it the way it was so I parted it. Had over $15 into it. Got about $6500 back over a period of 3 years.
cypressbog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:17 PM   #11
71cadc10

tough call...on a side note, I too had a 04 Quicksilver GTO, nice car you have there.
Have you considered selling the GTO or the V? keep the truck

I unloaded my 04 GTO, also had a 06 spice red GTO...sold both to put funds into my C10. I think long term the truck is a better "investment"....it won't depreciate like those. Not many things automotive are really investments but classic trucks seem to be holding on much better.

the idea of finding a person to buy it and pay you to finish it is very good too. They would get to make the final choices on color etc.

Last edited by 71cadc10; 06-30-2020 at 03:22 PM.
71cadc10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #12
jjzepplin

^^^THIS^^^ OH,OH,OH, and maybe they will give up on it and you can get it back cheap!
Old 06-30-2020, 03:59 PM   #13
americanmusc1e

It sounds like you've already made up your mind, but I'd get it running first. You might find new interest in it or you'll at least make more money back.

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:35 PM   #14
Peanut74

I agree get it running first. People will assume that major engine/transmission work will need to be done if it's not running.

One thing you could do is get another stock running engine/transmission and put it your truck. That way you could sell your built up engine/transmission at a later date or keep it for your next project.
Peanut74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 04:43 PM   #15
toolboxchev

That is a lot of effort to throw away, yet life is complicated. I feel for you. You could always do it again, Even Better!
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 07:19 PM   #16
54blackhornet

I would have to list the Goat on BAT. It’s not going to appreciate much unless it’s extremely low mileage and completely stock. Invest the funds to finish your project. I would hate to see your face if you have to let it go cheep..
Old 06-30-2020, 07:36 PM   #17
YBNORML

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaciousA View Post
Here's my project thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=679611

I've invested probably close to 40k to get it to this point. It needs at least another 20k to finish, but as life happens, I don't have the time or funds to keep moving forward. The truck was not supposed to be a full frame off build, but it quickly snowballed into a protouring project that I thought I could finish within in 2-3 years. I'm on year 5, have a 10 month old baby, looking to have another in the next year, and also need to buy a house within the next 2 years (if not sooner). The money I could recoup from selling the project would help a lot for getting a home. In retrospect, I should have just ls swapped it and left the body alone. The original frame was twisted and diamond shaped, and the body had 6 layers of paint on it, and was full of bondo.

My family comes first, and I have 2 other high performance toys to keep me busy (an 04 GTO, and a 14 CTS-V). I regret starting something I can't finish, and now is the worst time to sell it, so I'm not planning to do anything until some type of economic recover starts to happen in the rest of the world. Maybe later on in my life I can reattempt another project, but I don't think it's in the cards for at least another 10-15 years (I'm 36 currently).

I've never sold an unfinished project before, so I'm looking for advice on what to do. Bringatrailer.com is an option to sell it complete as is, or go through the process of parting everything out separately, which would probably take a long time to get rid of. Here's a run down of what I have:

-No Limit Pro-10 Frame (viking coil overs, ford 9", 3.30 gears trutrac, wilwood 6 piston front, single piston rears). Upgraded splined roll bars, flaming river road race rack, rear side rail battery mount. Wilwood manual booster w/ proportioning valve, no limit fuel tank w/ upgraded fuel pump to run boost

-Factory A/c 1970 gmc c10 cab, media blasted, epoxy primered, new firewall, new cowl, new rockers (inner/outer), new cab corners, drip rails shaved, cab light shaved. Needs further body work to finish (roof, drip rails, and getting gaps tighter on the doors, and fitting the glass. High hump trans tunnel cover

-New hood w/ porterbuilt hinges, new fenders, new doors and latches

-New Windshield, new flush fit back glass

-Original bench seat, ididit column and steering shaft

-6.0 LQ4 from a 05 2500hd, street port/polish on 317 heads, Isky cam and springs, ls7 lifters, all new gaskets, all new sensors, block painted chevy orange, improved racing oil baffle, fbody pan, ls6 intake manifold and throttle body, holley fuel rails with 80 lb p/hr injectors, complete holley front accessory drive

-4L80E with hd2 shift kit and a jakes performance 2800 stall billet converter

-KB Racing 67-72 turbo kit with treadstone 1000hp intercooler, Borg Warner S480 turbo, w/ all hot/cold piping and ancillary items to make it work.

-Entropy aluminum radiator with dual fan shroud

-Holley dominator ECM and wire harnesses

I could probably get the truck running in the next 6 months, but I have no driveshaft nor do I have wheels that would clear the wilwood brakes (currently sitting on 17" rollers). I don't know if it's worth investing more money to get it to run and then sell or leave it as is. Typing this all up really sucks. My wife is not pressing me to sell it, but I don't want to pass up on an opportunity to buy a house just because I have money tied up in this project.

I parted out my 68’ shortbox Porterbuilt project. In the end i got waaaay more than I would’ve gotten as a relatively complete project. It took some time and patience but to me it was worth it.

Plus, this way I didn’t have to see my longtime project in someone else’s hands

68’ GMC shortbox
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=794201

72' 2WD Blazer
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425385

67' LongBox C-10
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=691845

InstaGram ybnorml67
YBNORML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:41 PM   #18
Sheepdip

Tough sell. I had a buddy who poured $60k into a 40 Ford pickup, bailed and got $20k for the whole shebang.

A lot of variables go thru the buyers mind and some of us have degree from the University of Hardknox.

I purchased a truck project once that all the body work was done, big labor savings so I thought.

When I got it to the painter first thing he wanted to do was blast it and start over, when I asked why, he said because I cannot and will not guarantee my paint over someone else's body work. He had a point, and he did find some questionable areas on the cab and I also ended up buying a whole new bed.

But ultimately the painter was spot on and made a correct call. 11 month's later I did get a laser straight gorgeous paint job that's held up for almost 20 years now.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 08:51 PM   #19
57larry

sorry but you're going to lose some money. can you show us some pics
57larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 08:56 AM   #20
my67c20

Slap a to good to pass up price on the entire package and go for the quick sale. Nothing worse than watching something you spent a lot of time, money and family sacrifices for being slowly sold off to the lowest bidder. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. We all have spent way more money on our projects than we will ever see returned in a sale.
my67c20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 09:26 AM   #21
jjzepplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67c20 View Post
Slap a to good to pass up price on the entire package and go for the quick sale. Nothing worse than watching something you spent a lot of time, money and family sacrifices for being slowly sold off to the lowest bidder. Chalk it up as a lesson learned. We all have spent way more money on our projects than we will ever see returned in a sale.
OUCH! Unfortunately you will be joining the "sorry I sold it" crowd. Man that is going to be a very nice truck. Too often we find a way we could have kept our project right after we get rid of it. I have managed to keep my truck for 31 years through losing my home, wife, children, moving 3000 miles away and going driving across the United States to find my place in this world with no thought whatsoever of ever losing my truck. As long as I had my truck I knew I would be OK. I know it sounds like an old country song and I did grow up on a ranch, but my current wife will never even hear about me selling the truck. She just says NO. A house is nice to have, but a new house with your most fabulous project in the garage is the ultimate feeling.
Old 08-01-2020, 10:59 PM   #22
HellaciousA

Thanks for the feedback everyone, I forgot about this thread. Given the covid situation, I'm not doing anything now as I would only lose even more money. My 04 GTO has a lot of sentimental value, and I wouldn't get more than 15k for it if I sold it, and that's after demodding it. I'm the original owner as well, and it's only got 39k miles on it.

The V I've had for a year and it's a blast to drive also, and I've got a beater Corolla that I use now to keep the mileage low on both the GTO and V.

A big part of me just wants to sit on the truck for now and revisit the build in another 4-5 years. I could probably get it running for maybe a couple grand or less, but I've never gone into debt to ever modify any of my cars, and I'm still saving money for a house.

I bought the truck at a time in my life before I was married, but was dating my now wife at the time. It was a selfish move on my part, as I sold a rental property and figured 40k would be enough to get the truck done. That has been tapped out, and she wants nothing to do with it and only sees it as a money pit.

2014 Cadillac CTS-V Auto
HellaciousA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 03:02 AM   #23
RustyPile

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaciousA View Post
Thanks for the feedback everyone, I forgot about this thread. Given the covid situation, I'm not doing anything now as I would only lose even more money. My 04 GTO has a lot of sentimental value, and I wouldn't get more than 15k for it if I sold it, and that's after demodding it. I'm the original owner as well, and it's only got 39k miles on it.

The V I've had for a year and it's a blast to drive also, and I've got a beater Corolla that I use now to keep the mileage low on both the GTO and V.

A big part of me just wants to sit on the truck for now and revisit the build in another 4-5 years. I could probably get it running for maybe a couple grand or less, but I've never gone into debt to ever modify any of my cars, and I'm still saving money for a house.

I bought the truck at a time in my life before I was married, but was dating my now wife at the time. It was a selfish move on my part, as I sold a rental property and figured 40k would be enough to get the truck done. That has been tapped out, and she wants nothing to do with it and only sees it as a money pit.
Your last paragraph speaks volumes and what you do with the truck from this point will impact your marriage.. But I will add my 2 cents anyway.. I see 2014 CTS-Vs listed as low as $30,000 and as high as $45,000.. I don't have a clue what yours is worth.. Choose between keeping the GTO and the CTS-V.. Sell the other one.. If it were me, I'd sell the V.. Take part of the money and finish the truck and put the rest of the money toward the new house.. I'm betting the truck will be as much (possibly more) fun to drive as the V...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 06:40 AM   #24
special-K
Special Order

No comment on your choice in marriage, except how I roll. Any woman I land with will want me for what I do, not what she wants me to do.

I would sit on it. Tell her selling it is what would instantly turn it into the money pit. The rule of thumb of abandoned project pricing is $.50 on the dollar at best. I couldn't imagine pissing away $20k on my dream

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 04:58 PM   #25
TrkEnvy

I agree with YBNORMAL.. pay the $25.00 to become a member here and part the thing out. There aren’t many who can drop 20+K on an unfinished product, but there are a lot of people who have a few grand to take bits to finish their project. Even I would be interested in a few parts of it if you do..
1971 C10 - LWB shortened to SWB, welded in my C notch, reinforced trailing arms with 3/16 plate, new cpp 5" rear drop springs, 2" drop blocks, ece super panhard kit. Cpp drop spindles, 2 inch front springs, 5.3/4L80E

I call it Bruce Banner..
TrkEnvy is offline   Reply With Quote