The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-22-2020, 11:46 PM   #1
mobileortho

“Quiet” performance mufflers

Progress has been slow on shortening the bed, but I’m thinking ahead to the exhaust, more specifically the mufflers. A botched surgical procedure left me deaf in one ear. I can deal with that, but horrible tinnitus came along with it. The ringing is unbearable at times and gets worse when I’m in loud environments. That being said, I’m going to be quieting the exhaust down a bit. I believe there are some turbo mufflers on it now. I’ve heard the Walker Quiet Flows are good. Anyone out there using or had any any experience with them?

1950 3600
3600 re-do, shortening it up

If it's true what they say, "You learn from your mistakes,"
I'm a Genius in the making.

Last edited by mobileortho; 07-23-2020 at 10:53 AM.
mobileortho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:50 AM   #2
mongocanfly
Post Whore

Re: “Quiet” performance mufflers

ive got a set of those im gonna try on my truck...
the only thing I see that looks odd is if you look into the muffler I have for 2-1/2" pipe it necks down to less than 2" on the inside...ive also got a set of dynamax knockoffs im gonna try...were gonna run both sets on the dyno and see if theres any diff..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #3
nvrdone

ive got a set of magna flows that are going on this weekend. they will replace a set of rusted out walkers. i will let you know what i think when i get them in.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:01 AM   #4
jweb

I have Magnaflows which seem mellow but that be different to someone with tinnitus.

I would say the most important part would be to make your exhaust pipes go all the way out the back. My temporary exhaust was some turbo mufflers and the pipes stopped just behind the cab, it was really loud and you couldn't talk while driving.
1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:27 PM   #5
mr48chev

Jweb hit on one very important thing, the tail pipes have to exit behind the rear wheels and out from under the truck under the rear bumper or to the corner doesn't matter that much sound wise but it has to be behind the rear tire.

71/72 Cad Deville muffler has a 2-1/2 inch inlet and 2-1/4 inch outlet and the body is 18 inches long Link for specs and measurements https://www.carid.com/walker/soundfx...mpn-18390.html

One would be quiet two should be quiet but let the exhaust flow and have some sound.

I have tinnitus pretty bad too. At least bad enough to run out side to see what all the birds are doing in the trees only to find that there aren't any birds in the tree. It's been pretty good lately and thinking about it I haven't done anything that has made all that much noise in the past few days. My daily driver BMW 528I is real quiet even though it likes to cruise at 80 when you aren't supposed to cruise at 80. I can relate to the loud noise loud exhaust thing. Mine from firing a machine gun in scout helicopters for a year and using my air chisel without hearing protection for too long.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:37 PM   #6
1project2many

There are many components to exhaust noise... Compression ratio, cam timing, pipe diameter, engine displacement, muffler location, cat vs no cat, ignition timing...

I like Dynomax Welded and Magnaflow mufflers. Walker quiet flow do tend to be quiet. I have Edelbrock mufflers on my truck now and they're pretty quiet. The cheapie Flowmaster clones end up getting loud over time. Long pipes that extend to the bumper is a must. Installing a balance pipe before the mufflers can help as well, and it can allow more flow with restrictive mufflers.
1project2many is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 12:50 PM   #7
caja_larga

i have seen a few builds where the have three -four mufflers. I am on the quest for as quiet hot rod as possible. on my 56 bel air i used a oem type muffler.
caja_larga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 02:51 PM   #8
joedoh

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1project2many View Post
There are many components to exhaust noise... Compression ratio, cam timing, pipe diameter, engine displacement, muffler location, cat vs no cat, ignition timing...

exactly.

resonance in an exhaust usually comes from unbroken tube length. long straight pipes will have more noise than pipes that are broken up by mufflers in the middle. if your mufflers have to be at the back, put a resonator or even a cherry bomb in the long section. same if your mufflers are at the front with a long section of pipe behind them. your exhaust will still be raucous when you stand on it but will be church quiet at idle and wont drone on the highway. the other factors 1p2m mention affect this too.

yamaha makes specialty engines but also makes pianos in a second division, there was an article how they collaborated to tune exhaust noises for different cars like the lexus LFA, which has some of the most gorgeous exhaust sounds I have ever heard.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 03:25 PM   #9
Volfandt

This is what a 49 GMC w/a 350 flowing through dual Dynamax 17730 Super Turbo's bolted to 2" pipes sounds like outside the truck. I mounted the mufflers back under the bed and I can barely hear them in the non-insulated cab. I often think they're too mellow, LOL.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...5kcWZKbDQycXZB
Old 07-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #10
vintovka

Share the hearing thing but mine was 18 500 pounders cooked off at Low Order" (high order and someone else would be typing this). The VA provided me with special hearing aids that cancel much of the ringing. I also live very near the ocean and the constant wave roar cancels the ringing as well so i can sleep ok. I have 30" glass packs and used to have exhaust turned down just before axle. Drove me nuts to point the 54 was a PITA to drive. Moding to over axle and extending to almost beyond rear bumper made it sweet and actually drive with windows down cause it sounds so good even without my special hearing aids. Hope you find what your looking for.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 10:06 PM   #11
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
ive got a set of those im gonna try on my truck...
the only thing I see that looks odd is if you look into the muffler I have for 2-1/2" pipe it necks down to less than 2" on the inside...ive also got a set of dynamax knockoffs im gonna try...were gonna run both sets on the dyno and see if theres any diff..
Let me know how it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
ive got a set of magna flows that are going on this weekend. they will replace a set of rusted out walkers. i will let you know what i think when i get them in.
Which magnaflows are you using?

Quote:
Nothing radical at all, just a GM Goodwrench 350 #10067353 with a 256 cam and Vortec heads

1950 3600

Last edited by mobileortho; 07-23-2020 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 03:48 PM   #12
Black_Sheep

I'm running iron manifolds, 2.5" full exhaust with a X-pipe and Flowmaster Delta 50's. Inside the cab is pretty quiet while having a nice rumble outside the truck. I also put a lot of effort into sound deadening.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2020, 05:20 PM   #13
burnin oil

My buddy in HS used to get alot of tickets with 50 series mufflers for the noise. Inside the mustang it wasn't extremely loud but very noticable until he got on it. Full 90 interior car.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:47 PM   #14
mobileortho

Quote:
How'd you like the Walkers?

1950 3600

Old 07-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #15
1project2many

I just ordered a set of Walker Ultra-flow welded for my truck. Interesting that the old ones failed right after this thread started...

Last edited by 1project2many; 07-28-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 01:43 PM   #16
mobileortho

Quote:
I just ordered a set of Walker Ultra-flow welded for my truck. Interesting that the old ones failed right after this thread started...
Were the old ones Walker?

1950 3600

Old 07-28-2020, 04:01 PM   #17
1project2many

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobileortho View Post
Were the old ones Walker?
I believe the old ones were Hooker Competition mufflers. Standard mild steel case, rolled seams, nothing special. I can dig out the receipt if you're curious.

I've used Walker Ultra Flow on a few projects before. In a turbocharged four cylinder application they turn what is usually a buzzy or raspy sound that I think sounds like a cow with a nasal condition into a note with a distinct low frequency component. I'm all about the base...

It will be interesting to see how the '57 sounds. 302 cubes, 9:1 compression, and mild cam means it's not a screamer anyway. It was pretty mellow with the old mufflers.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:29 AM   #18
youngrodder

I used a 50 Series Flowmaster that was an SUv muffler. My exhaust on my 48 exited just in front of the rear wheels. With it being a short system, I didn't want it loud. It was a nice sounding system. 2.5" SS pipe with an H pipe.

I also found this interesting sound chart for Flowmasters.
https://www.holley.com/products/exha...per_50_series/

If you like, DM me your email I can send you a video clip of the 50 series at idle.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 12:18 PM   #19
mobileortho

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
I used a 50 Series Flowmaster that was an SUv muffler. My exhaust on my 48 exited just in front of the rear wheels. With it being a short system, I didn't want it loud. It was a nice sounding system. 2.5" SS pipe with an H pipe.

I also found this interesting sound chart for Flowmasters.
https://www.holley.com/products/exha...per_50_series/

If you like, DM me your email I can send you a video clip of the 50 series at idle.

Marc
DM sent

1950 3600

Old 07-29-2020, 12:30 PM   #20
MalibuSSwagon

I've been running the same exhaust setup and muffler with my TPi 305 and now a stock 5.3L LS. Basically 2.5 inch pipes off the headers, to a 18" body magnaflow muffler, 3" single out that exits behind the rear tire past the body. It's got great sound on the outside but zero resonance in the cab. Very nice to drive.
MalibuSSwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #21
gigamanx

Might be an odd solution, but when I started my project it had the original S10 truck muffler on it before switching to something else. I thought it was pretty quiet for a V8 SBC.

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 10:56 PM   #22
nvrdone

ok, the new mufflers and pipes are in. used Magnaflow 12286 2.5" in & out. Pipes come out of a ram horn exhaust manifold back to the mufflers that are tucked up under the bed. then straight pipe that ends in front of the rear axle. I know its not ideal but its much quieter than the burned out & rusted walker turbos that have been on it for 40+ years. now just need to figure out how to route them out around the rear mounted gas tank.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 07:31 PM   #23
1project2many

Quote:
ok, the new mufflers and pipes are in. used Magnaflow 12286 2.5" in & out. Pipes come out of a ram horn exhaust manifold back to the mufflers that are tucked up under the bed. then straight pipe that ends in front of the rear axle. I know its not ideal but its much quieter than the burned out & rusted walker turbos that have been on it for 40+ years. now just need to figure out how to route them out around the rear mounted gas tank.
Nice. I replaced mine yesterday. Used the Walker stainless Ultra-Flow. Very quiet at idle and low load. Can hear 'em when accelerating on the highway but definitely not a dominating sound.

Last edited by 1project2many; 08-04-2020 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-04-2020, 04:04 PM   #24
mobileortho

Quote:
Nice. I replaced mine yesterday. Used the walker stainless Ultra-Flow. Very quiet at idle and low load. Can hear 'em when accelerating on the highway but definitely not a dominating sound.
Any video of it idling by chance?

1950 3600

Old 08-04-2020, 09:15 PM   #25
1project2many

I didn't happen to get video but I will after Storm Isiah passes.