The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 06:17 PM   #3901
GR8-68

Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Hmmm, what did I do to my truck today ?
Attached Images

It is easily overlooked that what is now called vintage was once brand new.

"Project 68"

paypal.me/ldgrant
Old 06-25-2016, 11:20 PM   #3902
tdangle

Finally got around to installing new cab mounts. It ended up being way easier than I had thought it would be. Didn't have a chance to drive it yet, curious to see if I notice any difference in the ride. The body trim and lines do line up better with the bed sides now.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
Old 06-26-2016, 12:51 AM   #3903
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

This is longer than it should be. I took some interest in antennas, and the information on them runs somewhat deep. Add to that my "original" antenna was perplex, because it was a fixed mast on a high crown nut. It's very possible the mast was not stock. That said, I prefer the fixed mast and the high crown nut, in spite of the plan to restore the truck to original 71 c-10.

Anyway, I bought an NOS antenna body from a nice older gent who's an expert in vintage GM antennas. It's the same body as my old one. He said he also had a fat ball fixed mast antenna for it. Long story shorter, in addition to other vehicles, this is the original set up for a fixed antenna on a 67-68 Corvette.

It took a while to collect this, but it's NOS from the ball to the radio. The bezels in the picture are my "seconds". The bezel nut isn't the authentic high crown bezel nut, though it is what appears to be a common GM kit replacement. Really, I may have the original bezel nut re-chromed, depending on cost.

At any rate, if it's good enough for a 67-68 Corvette that's good enough for me. Really, I'm explicit delighted. I do like the look. Try to ignore the white door strikers.

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 06-26-2016, 01:27 PM   #3904
custom10nut

First of all, there's 3900 posts on this thread, just sayin.
I just picked up my new coil overs, and going to put them and my new fuel line, regulator, and gauge in today.
I promised my wife no more parts for the truck, This month
Post pics later
Gotta get busy
Old 06-26-2016, 01:33 PM   #3905
Econman

Slowly making progress...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 567
Size:  40.2 KB
Old 06-26-2016, 01:34 PM   #3906
Econman

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 565
Size:  29.4 KB
Old 06-26-2016, 05:31 PM   #3907
ohboy321

I installed a new rear sport bumper on my new to me 67 K10. Before and after pictures below.

My wife and I just took a 10 mile ride in it. I have just a couple of more things to do and it will become my weekend errands truck. What a blast it is to drive!!
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2016, 06:03 PM   #3908
VWNate1

Thumbs up Re: What did you do to your truck today? Chapter II

Kudos , Matt ! .

You're *just* the right kind of Grandson he would have wanted .

You're right : it'll always be Grandpa's Truck and best of all , he'll be riding shotgun every where you go in it .

FWIW , those stiff and probably leaky old power steering hoses are available brandy new ~ I bought some for my '69 C/10 last year , they fit and work .

Look for the inverted ' W ' clamp that's supposed to hold them to the frame right where they slip inner the inner fender , most junked rigs still have them when they're crushed for scrap .

NAPA sells nifty poser steering filters you can add to the return line , they even have a magnet so you can easily flush the system wile you drive....

It's supposed to use ATF in there , I'd change it every time it turns brown and/or stops smelling sweet .

The correct original P.S. cap for your truck should be a cheapo crappy metal one , they still show up in junk yards / swam meets , you can clean it up well and add a better gasket .

-Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthamby View Post

Oh yeah, this is the power steering setup for my truck, gotta clean it and put it in!
Old 06-26-2016, 06:27 PM   #3909
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohboy321 View Post
I installed a new rear sport bumper on my new to me 67 K10. Before and after pictures below.

My wife and I just took a 10 mile ride in it. I have just a couple of more things to do and it will become my weekend errands truck. What a blast it is to drive!!
What a difference !!!

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Old 06-26-2016, 06:41 PM   #3910
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Say econdude, if I can quiz you on your cab cart. Is it stable enough to work inside the cab? Would you have preferred it be a bit higher? I mention higher, because my cab will be set 4-manpower. Higher is more better easier to move. I need it to transport on a trailer as well. Thanks.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s details such as OEM identifications& part numbers, written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
Old 06-26-2016, 07:05 PM   #3911
matthamby

Thanks guys! Drove the truck up to Hanging Rock State Park this morning, about ten miles, through some really curvy roads, feels so different than power steering, you really feel "connected" to the road, but man - those slow maneuvers in a parking lots, dang! Took the whole family, 4 of us, reminded me of when I was a kid and we stuffed 2 adults and 2 kids in it.
Old 06-26-2016, 07:09 PM   #3912
CK67

Put a 3 in lift in
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2016, 09:30 PM   #3913
custom10nut

So, I installed the rear coil overs. Man, what a difference they make. After I put them on, I got to thing about when the last time I replaced shocks. Nearest I could remember, it was 1995. I guess it was time. I'll do the fronts in the morning before it gets hot.bim looking for a huge improvement there too, since I think those shocks are even older.

Last edited by custom10nut; 06-26-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:32 PM   #3914
matthamby

Anyone familiar with this?

http://www.digitalguarddawg.com/auto...omotive/pbs-ii
Old 06-26-2016, 10:20 PM   #3915
RThree

Im doing a 4wd conversion on a '72 Longhorn. Today I started test fitting and drilling holes for my custom 292 4wd cross member. Next comes drilling holes for the new NV4500 transmission I put in it.
Attached Images

- 1972 K20 Longhorn, 4wd conversion. "TAWNKAA" Project. 292ci Inline 6 / '93 NV4500 / 32 spline 205 TC / Dana 60s front & back / rear Detroit Locker / 4.10 Gears / 35" BFG MT KM2 / 4" Tuff Country lift. "TAWNKAA"Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6823933
- 1970 C10 Lonbed, 292ci Inline 6, 3 on the tree, stock.
Old 06-27-2016, 12:15 PM   #3916
Econman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Say econdude, if I can quiz you on your cab cart. Is it stable enough to work inside the cab? Would you have preferred it be a bit higher? I mention higher, because my cab will be set 4-manpower. Higher is more better easier to move. I need it to transport on a trailer as well. Thanks.
I built that little cart just high enough to roll it up on a trailer with ramps. My body man wanted it low so he could have easy access to the top. Much of his sanding is done from a rolling stool. But it is very stable and he easily sits inside to work.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:35 PM   #3917
DarkFlounder

Finally got the garage organized and cleared enough to start working on larger body parts. Started on this summer's grand project, the replacement longbed fleetside. It's been disassembled and sitting in my garage since we moved last summer.

Yesterday, it was the front bed panel. Stripped, removed a few small dents, de-rusted, filled the pits, sanded smooth, cleaned and primered.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:11 PM   #3918
dflarsen77

Well it was Saturday, but I bought it! A 1970 Chevy C/10 longbed. I did a thread asking for what to look for:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=710649

I went out to look at it (2 hours away) and found it to be darn decent. Got 90 minutes of the way home, had to stop to get gas after getting about 6mpg doing 60-65, and it wouldn't start, got it towed home. It has some kind of fuel problem I haven't had much of a chance to look at. It has dual auxilliary tanks, and I have a pic here of the valve under the driver's side cab of where it is, and it looks rough. I figure it's either leaking there, maybe at the pump, I dunno, but I'll get it. It also has a commercial title, and I'm not really sure what that means for me here in CA.

Took a good pic in the sun. I have a whole list of what's obviously wrong, and what I'd like to do for it, but anyways, here it is.

If you've ever wondered, yes you can make a 73+ front bumper fit. It has a lot of pluses though that I've found so far, but mostly because it doesn't seem to have a lot of rust. And how about those helper springs? I knew what they were from reading about it, but when I first looked underneath and saw it, my heart dropped because I thought it was a leaf spring suspension, which seems to be no fun for lowering. I'll have to start a build thread once I start doing anything.

Thanks again to the bros that helped in my first thread!
Attached Images

Old 06-27-2016, 07:29 PM   #3919
custom10nut

I finished the front shocks today! The truck rides like new again. Tomorrow, I get to the fuel line work. All I need is a couple brass fittings and a new filter, and I'll be in business.
Old 06-27-2016, 07:44 PM   #3920
68bowtie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
What orange is that?
1971 factory orange

Project "Little Sister" (70 c10 blue original paint refresh)
Project "C10 Fever" (68 factory black 396 swb)
Project "Blue Bomb" (70 c30 blue original paint refresh)
Project "Vitamin C" (71 c10 orange original paint refresh)
Old 06-28-2016, 01:09 AM   #3921
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econman View Post
I built that little cart just high enough to roll it up on a trailer with ramps. My body man wanted it low so he could have easy access to the top. Much of his sanding is done from a rolling stool. But it is very stable and he easily sits inside to work.
Thanks for the response. If you think about it, the plans would be great. I still may raise it a bit. How tall is your body guy? Mine is 6'3". Can I ask how you lifted the cab? I hear they're about 400 lbs. stripped.
Old 06-28-2016, 05:05 PM   #3922
VWNate1

Thumbs up New truck !

" It also has a commercial title, and I'm not really sure what that means for me here in CA." .

It means , among other things , that you can now park in yellow painted curb zones .

Beware of parking too long though .

look like you got a nice one ! .
The silver cube thing next to the fuel tank switchover valve , is a super cheapo Facet typ electric fuel pump , the cylinder screwed into it , is a filter that's prolly plugged up as it looks very old .

That's a bad place for a fuel filter so consider deleting it , or if you'd prefer to keep it , just take it to your FLAPS , IIRC it's a Ford filter .

they'll easily match it up , not expen$ve at all .
'69 C/10 shortbed sidemount survivor 250 L6 W/ 350TH
Old 06-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #3923
Econman

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
Thanks for the response. If you think about it, the plans would be great. I still may raise it a bit. How tall is your body guy? Mine is 6'3". Can I ask how you lifted the cab? I hear they're about 400 lbs. stripped.
I used braces, eye bolts and straps to lift it with an engine hoist (cherry picker) enough to clear the chassis. Through the door opening.

My body man is heavy set and about 5'11".
Old 06-28-2016, 11:07 PM   #3924
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econman View Post
I used braces, eye bolts and straps to lift it with an engine hoist (cherry picker) enough to clear the chassis. Through the door opening.

My body man is heavy set and about 5'11".
Really, I probably need to buy an engine hoist. The original plan was to lift the engine enough to replace the engine mounts, but then I realized I was taking everything else off the frame..........Ha!....May as well paint the frame right. What you figure the width is on your dolly frame?
Old 06-28-2016, 11:51 PM   #3925
tdangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by dflarsen77 View Post
It also has a commercial title, and I'm not really sure what that means for me here in CA.
For trucks it's a requirement to have a commercial title. I know in the past you could reregister it as a car but you had to have a camper/camper shell on it. And if you ever took it off even if not hauling something you could get busted.

Basically a way for California to get more money out of you. The reg on my 46 year old truck costs more than my wife's Acura. Go figure.

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
Closed Thread