The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-17-2023, 09:54 AM   #251
dsraven

Re: Long Time Coming......

nice work, and thanks for posting up lots of pics. it helps the rest of us think about what we will do and where. sometimes just getting us thinking about the next little job is good. better than piling more stuff in front of the project. you seem to have done a lot of work in a short time. congrats.
will the patch panel on the cowl be big enough to cover the damages you found there?
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 03:28 PM   #252
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
nice work, its going to look awesome painted. happy you went that route.
Me too. I'm happy I changed dorection for sure.

Quote:
nice fab skills too, by the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngrodder View Post
Looks really great. For the money those are the nicest looking tubs for these trucks IMHO.

Well done on refining the look of the back end of the bed.

Marc
Agreed, they make nice tubs.

Quote:
nice work, and thanks for posting up lots of pics. it helps the rest of us think about what we will do and where. sometimes just getting us thinking about the next little job is good. better than piling more stuff in front of the project. you seem to have done a lot of work in a short time. congrats.
will the patch panel on the cowl be big enough to cover the damages you found there?
I'm glad you are enjoying the progress. I like to take pics, this was something I have been doing for the last several years on projects so my dad could stay up to speed on what I was doing. He had become house bound on oxygen. I went and spent time with him four times a week, but Sundays were the day I would bring a tablet and we would go over all the pics and discuss whatever I was working on at the time. With him having passed recently I'm still in the habit of it. I also post them on my IG and FB for anyone that cares. On here I get so few comments I sometimes wonder if people are paying attention, or even care. Not that I do it for likes and attention. But then I see the counter go up and know people are looking, maybe this forum doesn't generate much comments.

And yes I am getting a lot done right now. Remember I'm a school teacher with my summer off. So I get up every morning and am in the shop by 8am and work until about 2-3pm. Then I clean up and spend some time with my wife.

The top of the cowl is also a mess, but I wasn't about to spend all the coin for the entire cowl replacement panel. I have already made a template of that and will just cur out the ugly and patch in what I need.
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829856

Last edited by gsinon; 07-17-2023 at 03:45 PM.
gsinon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 03:42 PM   #253
gsinon

Today's adventures in the garage....

I got out to the shop early this morning with a plan to finish the rough fab on the bed. To do what I wanted I needed to reinstall the cab first.

Kind of nice seeing it like this for the first time in more then a year.

With the cab on and both it and the bed squared to eachother it was time to address one of my biggest pet peeves with these trucks. The rounded back of the cab and the flat front of the bed. Ugh. I've seen some metal masters go all in and make a new front bed panel that is curved. And while I would love to attempt that it is beyond my skill level, or at least it is with the very basic of metal tools I have on hand.

So instead of doing all of that, I am just going to make a filler piece that will go between the top rail of the bed and the cab so it matches the arc of the cab. I started by taping some foam I had oaying around, then I used some poster board to make some templates.

With that figured out, I ran to the parts store for a couple pieces of 1.75" round exhaust pipe to use for the bed rail extensions. I got them trimmed and tacked in place.

I then trimmed back the bed side to make room for the filler panel I would need.

Using my trusty poster board, I transferred the template to some 16g sheet metal I had. I also tacked on some round 3/16 bar to the edge to give it a finished look instead of just having the metal just end.

This is the finished look. Still a lot more welding to do. Then at some point body work it all in. But you get the idea I'm after. Much better in my opinion then the first two pics.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 07-17-2023, 03:45 PM   #254
gsinon

Quote:
nice work, its going to look awesome painted. happy you went that route.
Me too. I'm happy I changed dorection for sure.

Quote:
nice fab skills too, by the way.
Quote:
Looks really great. For the money those are the nicest looking tubs for these trucks IMHO.

Well done on refining the look of the back end of the bed.

Marc
Agreed, they make nice tubs.

Quote:
I'm glad you are enjoying the progress. I like to take pics, this was something I have been doing for the last several years on projects so my dad could stay up to speed on what I was doing. He had become house bound on oxygen. I went and spent time with him four times a week, but Sundays were the day I would bring a tablet and we would go over all the pics and discuss whatever I was working on at the time. With him having passed recently I'm still in the habit of it. I also post them on my IG and FB for anyone that cares. On here I get so few comments I sometimes wonder if people are paying attention, or even care. Not that I do it for likes and attention. But then I see the counter go up and know people are looking, maybe this forum doesn't generate much comments.

In the end I share what I do in hopes it inspires in one form or another.
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 07-18-2023, 05:32 PM   #255
gsinon

Today's episode of What did Glenn do in the Garage Today...

In an effort to get all the rough fab work done on the bed I decided to tackle the rolled pan and taillights. I am using 1939 Chevy passenger car bullt style taillights. I wanted to get them to mount to the bottom of the rolled pan. But I don;t want them to hang off, but rather be cut up into the pan roughly 50%.

With the pan on a stand I measured and started vutting to get the buckets to fit.

Once trimmeed to fit the bucket nicely I used some rectangular steel stock I have and a long level to make sure the buckets are on the same angle as the license plate panel.

Once I liked the position I welded them in place. I welded them from the back side so I don't have to worry about foing a ton of grinding.

Then it was time for a fit up and be able to step back and see how it looked.

I put the lens and trim rings on to show what it will look like when done.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 07-18-2023, 07:24 PM   #256
dsraven

Nice work.
They will be hard for other drivers to see down low like that so go fast ALL THE TIME!
Haha
Old 07-18-2023, 09:35 PM   #257
-Dan-

On here I get so few comments I sometimes wonder if people are paying attention, or even care.

I am absolutely paying attention to your talented work. It inspires me to get off my butt and keep my project motivated. If I respond to each of your posts, I would feel like a troll. I’m sure that I am not the only one who hides in the dark! Please keep posting your progress - I do keep up on it.
-Dan- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:17 PM   #258
nvrdone

I'm another one who has gotten some great ideas from you. all I can say is keep it up so others may follow.
I was thinking of using the same style tail light but mounted on the side of the stake pocket about where the stock lights mount.
Now you have me rethinking that idea.
If I go that route, I think I would mount the lights so the bottom of the lights are flush with the bottom of the pan and move the license plate up to match.
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2023, 06:24 AM   #259
gsinon

Quote:
Nice work.
They will be hard for other drivers to see down low like that so go fast ALL THE TIME!
Haha
These will be led lights so fairly bright. I have an idea for a 3rd brake light, but not sure i'll do it. In reality these lights are only about 6" lower then the factory taillights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dan- View Post
On here I get so few comments I sometimes wonder if people are paying attention, or even care.

I am absolutely paying attention to your talented work. It inspires me to get off my butt and keep my project motivated. If I respond to each of your posts, I would feel like a troll. I’m sure that I am not the only one who hides in the dark! Please keep posting your progress - I do keep up on it.
I do appreciate you and everyone following along. I enjoy sharing what I'm doing and hope that at least something I do inspires someone to do similar, or sparks an idea that they twist to make it their own. Thanks for the comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
I'm another one who has gotten some great ideas from you. all I can say is keep it up so others may follow.
I was thinking of using the same style tail light but mounted on the side of the stake pocket about where the stock lights mount.
Now you have me rethinking that idea.
If I go that route, I think I would mount the lights so the bottom of the lights are flush with the bottom of the pan and move the license plate up to match.
Again, I'm glad I'm able to inspire some. I toyed with the idea to mount them into the side pocket as well. But in my mind it just didn't work. I've seen it done, both good and bad ways. So in the end I just did this off the bottom of the rolled pan. This is the same as I did my my 32 Ford I had a few years ago.

I would like to have raised them up a little higher in the rolled pan, however the end of the frame is right there. I even had to notch the ends of the frame rails to get the buckets as high as they are now. But thats just due to them being centered in the space on each side of the curved area in the pan. If someone had a "normal" rolled pan and the lights were centered the frame wouldn't be an issue. One thing always affects the other.

Thanks again to everyone that is following along.
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 07-19-2023, 11:43 AM   #260
dsraven

your old ford looks awesome too.
on your box gap, will you also close in the vertical gap to match?
I like the idea of a third brake light, where would you put it though? I installed one in the roof of my 57. that look isn't for everybody though. I also looked at the top edge of the tailgate but that area can get beat up too easily. then I thought about the tailgaye latch area (not a stock gate so it has a handle in the middle), same deal.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:57 PM   #261
gsinon

Quote:
your old ford looks awesome too.
on your box gap, will you also close in the vertical gap to match?
I like the idea of a third brake light, where would you put it though? I installed one in the roof of my 57. that look isn't for everybody though. I also looked at the top edge of the tailgate but that area can get beat up too easily. then I thought about the tailgaye latch area (not a stock gate so it has a handle in the middle), same deal.
The side gap is tomorrow's project for sure. As for the 3rd brake light I am not exactly sure what I'm going to do. I want something that will flow and be mostly unobtrusive, and yet still be affective. I'm not sure how I'll do that yet. I want the functionality of a 3rd light, but the form is also a top priority.
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 07-19-2023, 04:41 PM   #262
dsraven

I have seen some placed below the back window above the box. Also seen some I side the truck at the top or bottom of the window. Maybe a trip to the wrecker would come up with a donor that would look ok.
Old 07-28-2023, 02:48 PM   #263
gsinon

This has been one of those weeks where I spent many hours in the garage, and yet it doesn't appear that much happened. All this takes so much time.

I ended up getting off the bed for now. I can't do too much to fill the gap between the bed and the cab on the sides until I had installed the running boards and they weren't in yet. First I had to install the support arms for the running boards, then bolt the filler panel to the running boards. They then bolted on nicely. I'm still waiting for the rear fenders though. So I decided now was a good time to start fitting the nose and see how it all falls in place.

I got the rad support in along with the latch support panel and lower pan. Those both needed some trimming to fit around the new radiator. Then it was time for the hood and fender wells.

With the front fenders in place it was time for the running boards and bed filler panels. These are still loose waiting for the instalation of the rear fenders. They should be here by the middle of next week.

Once everything is fitted I will definitely be fixing all of this. I hate the gap between the bed and cab. I will also be extending the stake pocket down to the filler panel as well as extending the leading edge of the filler panel to follow the cab corner better.

With everything loosely bolted together...I was also able to get a giid view of how bad the hood and fender gaps are. I've got some work ahead of me here.

And lastly the chance to stand back and take it all in.....

One last thing. Since I track my hours I have decided to start posting up the hours involved and a complete running tally. Might be fun to watch and see what it all adds up to. Any guesses?

This all took 14 hours.
Subtotal is now 484.75 hours!
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 07-28-2023, 03:21 PM   #264
nvrdone

I don't think my calculator goes that high !! LOL
49 chevy 3100 3 window. 327 / m21 4 spd, 12 bolt w/ 3:55's
Bought in 1973 for $235.00. Had it longer than my wife & Kids!!
nvrdone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 04:33 PM   #265
big_dan

I tracked my hours on a Falcon project I did years ago. Full strip to bare metal, nothing untouched. I stopped taking it around 800 hours!

Your front bed detail is outstanding, by the way. Eager to see how you work the running board gaps. Keep it up-

Dan
My 65 Ford project . .
https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=792428
big_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 06:28 AM   #266
gsinon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
I don't think my calculator goes that high !! LOL
I hear ya there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_dan View Post
I tracked my hours on a Falcon project I did years ago. Full strip to bare metal, nothing untouched. I stopped taking it around 800 hours!

Your front bed detail is outstanding, by the way. Eager to see how you work the running board gaps. Keep it up-

Dan
I have an app on my phone that allows me to punch in and out and also make notes for each time punch. I have found this really handy when doing side jobs for people. On my last big build I had just over 2000 hours into it from start to finish. I'm not expecting that here, but it will be high. I'm thankful that I can do all this and it is just my time. The only thing I will out source is the upholstery.

I'm also looking forward to how the bed details shape up. Once the rear fenders are on I will tackle that project.
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom

Last edited by gsinon; 07-29-2023 at 08:00 AM.
Old 07-29-2023, 10:58 AM   #267
dsraven

on your box vertical gaps, my 2015 silverado has "gap fillers" for that space. they have 2 sided tape holding them on. I realize the box is formed to go around the cab in my case but I wonder if something like that may stop the light from coming through the gap so the eye isn't drawn to that spot. just a thought once you get the gap nearly filled with steel the rest of the gap, possibly further back a bit from the steel filler, could be filled with something like that to stop the light coming through and appear completely filled in. if slightly further back from the steel part, and attached to the cab, it wouldn't need to touch the box so no paint scuffing by the rubber.
just a thought
Old 07-30-2023, 07:51 AM   #268
gsinon

Quote:
on your box vertical gaps, my 2015 silverado has "gap fillers" for that space. they have 2 sided tape holding them on. I realize the box is formed to go around the cab in my case but I wonder if something like that may stop the light from coming through the gap so the eye isn't drawn to that spot. just a thought once you get the gap nearly filled with steel the rest of the gap, possibly further back a bit from the steel filler, could be filled with something like that to stop the light coming through and appear completely filled in. if slightly further back from the steel part, and attached to the cab, it wouldn't need to touch the box so no paint scuffing by the rubber.
just a thought
Not a bad idea. My F150 has a similar thing.
1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 08-01-2023, 03:51 PM   #269
gsinon

In my last update I showed a picture of how the hood overlapped the hood a bit. I started thinking about that and what I was going to do. It occured to me that when I bolted the inner fender panels and outer I bolted them right up against the radiator support. This didn;t allow any real outward adjustments. So I loosened the boltd and was able to pull each side out about a 1/4" which made all the difference in the world. Having done that I was able to slide the new grill in place as well.

This leads me to a question. How have you all assembled the front end after paint? Piece by piece on the truck? Or as an assembly on the floor and then slide the entire thing in place? Getting all the holes to line up and move thngs around can lead to scratches that when painted I'm not going to want to deal with. Curious what others have done.

The rear fenders showed up yesterday, so I unboxed the passenger side and bolted it on. I had to loosen the running boards and take off the filler panel that goes from the bed to the running board. After some tweaking I was able to get all three parts lined up.

With that done I decided it was time to put it on the ground and look at the entire truck as a whole for the first time since November 2020 when I dismantled the whole truck to start the project.

While things fit ok, ok isn't enough for me. Some of these things are just the way GM made them, but I'm going to fix all the things I think they should have done. To start is how the running board ends before the front fender unlike the rear where it bolts directly to the fender.

I'm also not a fan the way the filler panel just ends rather than continuing the slope down under the cab.

I'm going to extend the stake pocket and roll it in to meet the filler panel.

These two are to show the fitment between the filler panel and rear fender as well as the running board and the rear fender. These will both be fixed.

Time tally:

7 hours
491.6 total

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 08-01-2023, 03:57 PM   #270
gsinon

Being excited and having it on the ground led to the decision to roll it outside so I could stand away from it and get a good view of the overall look and stance.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 08-02-2023, 09:17 AM   #271
youngrodder

That stance is spot on. It looks really good. On my last painted 48 truck build I assembled the front end piece by piece. I didn't think it was realistic (for me) to assemble it on the floor then wrestle that heavy mass into place without scratching something.

It is looking great.

Marc

1948 Chevy Truck - Finished SOLD!!

1953 Chevy Suburban "Family Truckster" Completed: Spring of 2021
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=605484

1994 4x4 Blazer - "Field Find"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...ferrerid=30857
youngrodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 11:22 AM   #272
Hey Dude

From a body-man's point of view, I prefer to get everything fit perfect then when I have it disassembled I only paint the jambs. Then reassemble, fix any scratches in what was the final primer sand, "soft-mask" the jambs and paint the cab/front clip all at once. Especially if a high-metallic color is used. I can pick out vehicles that were painted apart vs painted as a whole at car shows(high metallic colors). Paint out of the same gallon can can be many different colors depending on conditions and how it is applied. Silvers and very light golds are the worst. The metallic particles can lay flat, on end or any variation in-between. Giving a different look at different angles.

Just my humble opinion...

It's more work and requires more painting skill but, a good painter can do it and it will look better.
Hey Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 12:08 PM   #273
dsraven

My opinion also. Some painters try to do really long stretches at once, like the whole length of the car. Having step side fenders or fenders like the AD trucks have would complicate that. Spraying at the same time but not attached to vehicle would possibly help.
Old 08-02-2023, 02:40 PM   #274
gsinon

Quote:
That stance is spot on. It looks really good. On my last painted 48 truck build I assembled the front end piece by piece. I didn't think it was realistic (for me) to assemble it on the floor then wrestle that heavy mass into place without scratching something.

It is looking great.

Marc
Thanks Marc. Getting the stance right can be a challenge, and can also make or break a hot rod. I was thrilled to get it on the ground and be happy with the outcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Dude View Post
From a body-man's point of view, I prefer to get everything fit perfect then when I have it disassembled I only paint the jambs. Then reassemble, fix any scratches in what was the final primer sand, "soft-mask" the jambs and paint the cab/front clip all at once. Especially if a high-metallic color is used. I can pick out vehicles that were painted apart vs painted as a whole at car shows(high metallic colors). Paint out of the same gallon can can be many different colors depending on conditions and how it is applied. Silvers and very light golds are the worst. The metallic particles can lay flat, on end or any variation in-between. Giving a different look at different angles.

Just my humble opinion...

It's more work and requires more painting skill but, a good painter can do it and it will look better.
Quote:
My opinion also. Some painters try to do really long stretches at once, like the whole length of the car. Having step side fenders or fenders like the AD trucks have would complicate that. Spraying at the same time but not attached to vehicle would possibly help.
I genuinely appreciate your opinions, and I am always open to suggestions. However I loathe tape lines in door jambs and paint everything in pieces. Well not everything, I wouldn't do a candy or graphics that way. But a simple tri-stage or a metallic/pearl color I would and do all day long. I am far from the best painter out there, like not even close, I know painters that make me look like a chump. However I do have some skills swinging a spray gun. It must work, I won Best Paint at the 2019 Detroit Autorama (800+) and two weeks later at the Cleveland Autorama (900+) car shows competing against the very best. This done with a car painted completely in pieces over a couple months.

I am a stickler for consistant air pressure settings, reduction and I paint everything in the oriantation they will be on the vehicle, meaning door standing upright and not laying down.

If by chance it isn't right when assembled, then I can sand it down and blow one even coat on the cab/nose and then reclear.

I hope that reply didn't come off as me being arrogant, I'm the least arrogant person you will ever meet.

1987 R10, Ethel
Copper Hill Rod & Custom
Old 08-02-2023, 03:53 PM   #275
Hey Dude

No worries. It's almost impossible to insult me. I too HATE tape lines. Soft-Masking is different and I have had plenty of vehicles in the World of Wheels shows over the years. I promise you my soft edges rub right out, invisible.

It sounds like you know what you are doing when painting parts how they hang. Your method is a lot less work, as long as you don't scratch anything.
Hey Dude is offline   Reply With Quote