The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-23-2019, 02:57 PM   #26
Steeveedee
Who Changed This?

Re: A noiseless Harley really .

Quote:
Originally Posted by morepwr View Post
The only silent Harley should be a parked one.
That's what I was thinking. My dad made me put a pan under mine when I parked it in the garage.

As far as the p-pad goes, you're out of luck, Tim, if you buy one of those.

If it doesn't say "potato, potato, potato" when it idles, it ain't a Harley.

'70 Chevy 3/4T Longhorn CST 402/400/3.56 Custom Camper

Simi Valley, CA
Steeveedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 03:45 PM   #27
58pan

Brothers, if it don't mark its spot with good old 60w. It's not a harley
Attached Images

58pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #28
kingsolver72
10/30/19

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post

Me: Not all bikers from the '70s are burnouts. Some are now doctors and lawyers. (stared right through him)

All ths Harley talk calls for a picture
I really like this statement.

When I was younger I thought if I was ever to own a harley I’d have to get some tattoos and stop showering. Now that I’m older I think in order to keep my scooter I need put on some weight( because everyone knows you’re on the level if your bubble is in the middle) and ride with one hand on my lap( this seems to be trendy).

My road king has a little over 44000k. I replaced the stator and regulator a few years ago. I opened up the other side a couple years ago to look at the cam tensioners. Lots of folks were warning me that I better replace them or upgrade them. They looked pretty good. I hope I didn’t just set myself up.
Attached Images

kingsolver72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #29
special-K
Special Order

Nice Dou-Glide. I had a '63 for a while. Was that taken when you hopped off? No spot!

I was wondering what they'll call that electric one, Electric-glide? Naw, too close. Wire-Glide? How about Hummer? They could bring that back.

Also wondering if cops will be issuing tickets for no mufflers

I guess those will all be click start

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 07:59 AM   #30
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Nice Dou-Glide. I had a '63 for a while. Was that taken when you hopped off? No spot!

I was wondering what they'll call that electric one, Electric-glide? Naw, too close. Wire-Glide? How about Hummer? They could bring that back.

Livewire. Wow even the name is corney.
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:19 AM   #31
CG
BlahBlahBlah

I think it looks cool. Im not really a fan of riding sport bikes though, way too uncomfortable for me.

Guess Harley shouldn't be selling these anyway because their customer base wont like them. I think that's fine as long as their customer base keeps buying a new bike every couple of years. Looking at some of the cool bikes posted here though just shows folks keep their bikes for a pretty long time. That's going to make it tough on the bottom line for Harley.

Last time I bought Harley was in 02, a nice Road King Classic. I rode it all over the country, literally, (putting a bike on a trailer is beyond silly to me). Never had a single problem. I'm sure a lot of the Harley base were up in arms over that bike too ... Its not a this, or not a that! Doesn't even have a jockey shift!!!

When I first bought it I used to keep it in the shop at the office. I always got to the office before everyone else so I would just move it outside so as not to be in the way when everyone came in. Not long after I got it I came in and there was oil on the ground underneath ... Ahhhh! Turns out my boss poured it under there before he left for the day, figured it would be hilarious haha!

Ok, that's all I can contribute to Harley talk today =)
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 08:59 AM   #32
58pan

Quote:

No oil under it. I just pulled it out the garage for the pic. If I don't put a pan under it it gets pretty ugly. But it helps keep the dust down on my dirt road. Lol
Old 08-24-2019, 09:26 AM   #33
special-K
Special Order

I should have asked that, "Did you just wheel it out?". If you had just hopped of it the first drop would be there by the time both feet were on the ground.

I've been watching Harley's customer base evolve through the decades and pretty much be changed now that my generation seems to have become irrelevant. We always looked up to and modeled ourselves after the older guys. That ain't happening with the generations since. They could care less what we did or how we did it. Shorts and sneakers used to be taboo, for one. Still are and always will be for me.

Bikes are different. It has always been common for riders to hang onto their bikes for a long time. It's also been common for riders to own many bikes. So I don't see long time ownership as hurting Harley. Where do you think all these old Pans came from? It's common to find riders retire from riding but can't bring themselves to let that cherished ride go. They stash easy. My buddy has this '40 WLD he's the second owner of since he got back from 'Nam. He seldom rides her but will never let her go. He rides a '72 Sporty. Jimmy's are the last two pictures

This may be my favorite picture ever of myself and my bike. Taken by my son at a very young age, obviously, from the ole '71 Custom Camper. We were headed back home down I-70 after a camping trip in the mountains in my good old days. I tried resizing it on P-bucket and shrunk it by accident and now it's grainy when enlarged. I still love it. I need to dig the print out a scan again

Name:  scan0035-2.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  39.6 KB

This one is also special. It was in a bike show

Name:  IMG_1583.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  72.0 KB
Attached Images

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~

Last edited by special-K; 08-24-2019 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:36 AM   #34
Bigdav160

I see the whole V-Twin cruiser bike thing as a niche market. Focusing on that one segment seems like a recipe for disaster. Especially when the demographic, that the style most appeals to, is dying off.

Harley doesn't have the advantage of diversified product lines like many of the other small engine manufactures. They have to broaden their customer base. I don't see them stopping production of their bread and butter cruiser bikes.

Of course they shot themselves in the foot before. I went to the dealer and test road a Buell. I would have bought it but the dealer personnel seemed to look down on the product and Harley didn't seem to support it either. They certainly didn't spend any R&D money on it.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:02 PM   #35
richard2717
Equal opportunity joke ofender

I don't see what all the hoopla is about. My 2000 Road King is noiseless. Oh wait..... forgot I can't hear. One of my employees just bought a used ultra Classic and with the pipes on that thing I can sure hear it. I think it would wake the dead.

Picture of both of them

Attached Images

Dually Jams, OlBlue60, ScottH, Tommyboy24, Dujobo, Warbucket, 2003 Silverado, Notsolo, my90k5, 6t727t2, Special-K ,Jack_71C10, tabarcus,72blazer_mud_bogger,pwdcougar,RSavage,EricSean,1Rippen6,invicta455,tennaragtop71,arks, Kendal,Bennett68C10, Perpendicular, Chainsawman, McGeesCustomMinis,ShortbedClayton,longblue72,6768chevylover,Tim71,Travisarmenta,Ol' Drippy,fleetmitch,georgieb51,Dave,bcnya2,Dadsburb
https://paypal.me/6772GMtruckparts
Most women like the strong, silent type… Fortunately for me, my wife prefers the out-of-shape, mouthy type.
richard2717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 01:08 PM   #36
kingsolver72
10/30/19

No matter what you think about Harley Davidson they’ve been around for over a 100 years. In my estimation they have done well at selling motorcycles. They are expensive because people want their products. I don’t know that this new bike will hurt them.

When I was young I owned a Kawasaki because I wanted to ride a motorcycle and not be pigeonholed as a biker. I didn’t want an image. Then when I had an opportunity to ride a harley it made sense to me. I think it was more that it is made in my country. An American machine riding American roads. Kind of like the old truck thing.
Personally I have an affectation for shovelheads
Most of the fellas i know have new bikes. Some are posers some are serious about and authentically appreciate motorcycles. I find myself judging people’s motives which disturbs me because I really don’t and shouldnt care why other people like what they like... a bit of a snobbery or I’m better than you.
“Live at peace with others” or another way to say it is “live and let live”. Wear your leather jacket even if you don’t ride a motorcycle, I don’t care.

I like what a fella from here had in his signature “ Thou shalt not be an a$&hole”
I miss seeing Larry Mays posts.
Old 08-25-2019, 01:08 AM   #37
'63GENIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsolver72 View Post
Gotta love the 45 degree spark wasting one jug hittin harder American scooter.
Two words in the name of conserving energy and modernizing spark.... Single Fire. Still one jug hitting hard though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pan View Post
Brothers, if it don't mark its spot with good old 60w. It's not a harley
Or straight 50 when ridden in the Winter. Mine didn't leak till i got married for some reason. Never from the case halves. I made sure they were perfect when I built it. Its always the breather or the check ball in the pump when its sat for a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
I see the whole V-Twin cruiser bike thing as a niche market. Focusing on that one segment seems like a recipe for disaster. Especially when the demographic, that the style most appeals to, is dying off.

Harley doesn't have the advantage of diversified product lines like many of the other small engine manufactures. They have to broaden their customer base. I don't see them stopping production of their bread and butter cruiser bikes.

Of course they shot themselves in the foot before. I went to the dealer and test road a Buell. I would have bought it but the dealer personnel seemed to look down on the product and Harley didn't seem to support it either. They certainly didn't spend any R&D money on it.

Ive rode the Shovel to all of the dealers around here as they have come....and gone. Always holding out hope that each parts department would take a little time to help find parts for me. No dice. I guess its like every other dealer though. One its out of warranty, its yesterdays news.

Same for when I was looking at an S1 (Lightning?). I thought that bike was the coolest thing and a bag of chips. The sales guy didn't even want to talk to me about it. Said something like "a big twin is where its at". Told him that the bored and stroked Shovel by the door is mine but it probably don't handle like this Buell. Guess he had enough of me. he gave an eye roll and walked away.

I really hope that this new bike gains them some new customers because you're right, the demographic is well... dying off and their customer service for anyone who isn't dropping money on a Screaming Eagle dressed Street Glide is terrible.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 AM   #38
special-K
Special Order

I hear the dealers don't service Evos anymore. I wanted to replace my rear fender and wanted Harley sheet metal. I have a 1990 video tape of a worker at York doing the final buff before paint. I toured that factory around 95/96 and a robot took his job. Anyway, the fender I bought in '92 was about $125 and when I went to order one in about '10 they were $300+ and the guy said, "The sooner you let me know the better. It could take a while. They come from overseas". Well screw that. What that means to me is that is not a genuine Harley part that is coming from the same factory as Custom Chrome and all the others for half that much

Buyers aren't dying off, they have already evolved into the next generation. The old hard cores generally were not the new bike buyers anyway. When Shovels were new they rode Pans and knuckles. Evos came out and they were riding Shovels. By the mid-'90s is when you saw them riding new bikes. Look at what they sell now, factory customized bikes. for all the little Jesse James/OCC wannabes.

This electric bike only goes to show how Harley is good at changing with the times, same as when the V-rod came out. OMG! A liquid cooled Harley? What's the world coming to? That ain't no Harley. The exact same thing you'll be hearing about the Livewire < Sorry, the rolling eyes is required in order for me to type tat hokeyass name. How about Pigtail? A reference to the hog, it's an electrical term, and the old school riders with... ok, ponytail not pigtails. But what about appealing to all the lady riders? Now that is a whole new segment of customer base this conversation has failed to consider. The customer base is still there and going strong.

I'm with Kingsolver on why to ride Harley. It's an American survivor with a constant link to the beginnings or motorized transport when riding in fowl weather was not much better in an automobile and they had as much of a foot in it as did the cars.
Attached Images

Tim

Old 08-25-2019, 09:48 AM   #39
58pan

K, I don't know about all dealerships but in the early 90's I was working for H-D in San Diego and they would not work on or stock parts for anything older than 10 yr. old. I've owned my 58 for 40 yrs. I will never sell it. I don't ride as much as I use to but I still love the old Harley and Indians. I guess it's the 60w. running thru my veins. Many years ago l was involved in a head on while on my bike and today people made me nervous, they don't pay attention. I love your name for the electric bike (pigtail) that's great. RIDE SAFE
Old 08-25-2019, 12:23 PM   #40
special-K
Special Order

That 10 year limit is probably about standard. They only want clean easy to work on stuff, even when it's still the current engine. It might depend on the owner's interests. My local dealership , at least used to be, is different. They are, or were, involved in drag racing, had a machine shop, and did engine building, as well as custom fab and would work on most any of them. Probably only the nice stuff worth good money. They also raced an XR750 flat track and worked on others.

I'm more concerned with mt safety these days. Mine needs some brake work and the one thing I never got to was upgrade the brakes to match the power (custom-built S&S 96"... by S&S). So it's been waiting for funds. I want dual discs up front, so lower legs, too. I want to do that even if I never ride it again. Because if this is my last bike (unless I get rich and can collect antiques to putt a little) I'll be hanging on to it just because. Can't imagine life w/o one.

I'm older and wiser and the general public is not. My only time going down was when I saw a carload of young fools haulin' butt toward this 20mph 90 degree turn I was approaching from the opposite way (road into town). As anticipated, like many other fools, they came straight at me at the curve heading for the cornfield. I swung wide so they'd shoot behind me (inches), my radius was screwed up, and I was foot down around the bend just off the pavement. There is an sloped asphalt driveway where I came to a stop. Problem was, my foot got kicked back by the edge of the driveway just as I was about stopped. So no foot to put down I did a static drop onto my elbow and trapped my leg under the bike that was on the uphill side. Very little damage to the bike, split my elbow open, and made me glad I avoided being t-boned.

I forgot to say in the last post, my friend's brother works at the York plant in final testing. He told me yesterday that Pigtail () has caused quite a stink with the workers. As you could figure, many work there because of their love for the Harley, enjoy the work, and take great pride. Many are demanding to not be put on building that bike, refusing to. How about that?

Tim

Old 08-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #41
Boog
laying low

I first thought this talk of electric Harley was a spoof but just this week I began seeing ads on TV for it. I guess it's HD's way of staying relevant in today's ever changing marketplace. I hate to see it come to that.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:12 PM   #42
72c20customcamper

I sold a pan to get a Kawasaki H2 triple. Changed out the rear socket wasn't great of the line but would 165 on a long straight like the William floyd parkway. Just sayin....
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 08-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #43
Bigdav160

Motorcycle sales in the USA have been slumping for a decade

And HD's sales follow that trend.

However, HD is going the way of Sears if they do not change their ways. If some old guy at the factory doesn't like the new product........well.. he is part of the problem.

I ride BMW "R"'s. You know that 1920's engine technology....opposed twin - air cooled

BMW added a true sport bike in 1999, the R1100S. It didn't sell super well to the base but it brought in new customers. They kept with it so that BMW now sells some of the most high performance motorcycles made. The "R" engine is still with the line up but with liquid cooling. It's fan base didn't revolt. They embraced it.

Frankly, it appears a lot of HD's fan base are luddites
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:03 PM   #44
58pan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72c20customcamper View Post
I sold a pan to get a Kawasaki H2 triple. Changed out the rear socket wasn't great of the line but would 165 on a long straight like the William floyd parkway. Just sayin....
Mark, you sold your pan for a Kawasaki? I think you should see a doctor. Tim
Old 08-25-2019, 09:23 PM   #45
special-K
Special Order

Quote:
Just sayin' what? Sorry Mark, but the only thing you wrote that I can make out is you sold the Pan for a Kaw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdav160 View Post
Motorcycle sales in the USA have been slumping for a decade

And HD's sales follow that trend.

However, HD is going the way of Sears if they do not change their ways. If some old guy at the factory doesn't like the new product........well.. he is part of the problem.

I ride BMW "R"'s. You know that 1920's engine technology....opposed twin - air cooled

BMW added a true sport bike in 1999, the R1100S. It didn't sell super well to the base but it brought in new customers. They kept with it so that BMW now sells some of the most high performance motorcycles made. The "R" engine is still with the line up but with liquid cooling. It's fan base didn't revolt. They embraced it.

Frankly, it appears a lot of HD's fan base are luddites
I was not aware of this 10 year downturn in overall sales. But I never put much stock in statistics anyway. They focus on one aspect while overlooking all other pertinent information that would form the actual scenario. In this case, Harley's sales had been skyrocketing up to that beginning point in '91. So much that they could not supply the demand. You could buy a new Harley, ride it a year, and sell it for what you paid for it no problem. People were clamoring and squabbling over the ones that were available after being on "the list" from a year prior. People were buying one every year off the floor and flipping for profit. At that time, at that level of sales, the news everywhere you went was Harley was the great American success story at the time there was a huge vacuum effect of manufacturing being sucked away from America. I made good money on stocks. Every time I turned around shares were splitting and going right up to the value they were at the time of the split. My stocks sum quadrupled in less than two years. So now sales are down to only approx 97k more then back then, but still nearly 3x more than what they were when this was happening. Harley isn't going anywhere. You keep painting an unrealistic picture of Harley's state of being with false information. The old riders are dying off and the new ones are coming along just fine, obviously. BTW, speaking of the slant of statistics, where is you graph for BMW sales?

And Sears' failing was not because they failed to change with the times or any other fault of their own. They went with the internet sales, but they had stores for you and I to go grab what we needed, if we got off our lazy tails in our not as busy as people like to portray lives, the same day we decided we needed that item. Faster than Amazon.

I guess I really do love Harleys. I like BMW Rs, too. But the fact is the two groups of "most" riders and the bikes they ride are at opposite ends of the spectrum, friction is not uncommon, and I feel your comments are typical of a BMW owner whenever the topic of Harley comes up. BMWs aren't American. They are a success for Germany. They are not a part of the lost US manufacturing syndrome that Harley has managed to survive for a few decades at this point. I don't know so I'll ask, does BMW have an electric bike?

Not trying to be offensive and not personalizing when I tell you a quote I read that a Harley rider said to a BMW rider who was razzing him (I think about comfort) at the end of one day of The Iron Butt Rallye that I love to death. So Clint Eastwood. "Were you born an axxhole or did instructions come with your BMW?"

Tim

Last edited by special-K; 08-25-2019 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-25-2019, 09:52 PM   #46
kingsolver72
10/30/19

That graph stops in 2010 and shows United States sells only. I don’t think it tells the whole story. I don’t see the stats in the last 3 years and I don’t need to but, I would guess maybe their sales are more then they were in 2010. I could be wrong. Maybe it’s a coincidence in which years the sales of all goods rose and fell. I don’t know...
Just my observations nothing more.

Last edited by kingsolver72; 08-25-2019 at 09:57 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 12:23 AM   #47
'63GENIII

Quote:
Those 750 ripples were stupid fast. Almost like the Rapid Death 400s that Yami made.

'63 k15 long step
Vortec 7.4 - L29 Blackbear tune, Five 0 Motorsports injectors, Chris Straub Cam, NV4500, divorced 205
52" front and 63" rear spring swap
D44 / 14bff - disc axles
Milemarker 9K and 10.5K hydraulic winches

63" & B52 Spring Install http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ng+swap+thread

NV4500 Reverse Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=reverse+build

L29 - 7.4 Vortec Build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...&highlight=L29
'63GENIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 09:36 AM   #48
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pan View Post
Mark, you sold your pan for a Kawasaki? I think you should see a doctor. Tim
This was in the 70's. Pans were like evos now . And then I sold the Kawasaki to buy an AMF Harley.
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:54 AM   #49
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Just sayin' what? Sorry Mark, but the only thing you wrote that I can make out is you sold the Pan for a Kaw

Posted after a few beers . The kawi would do 135 mph not 165 .
1969 AMX ,
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
Old 08-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #50
Grumpy old man

We drove over to NC yesterday to my daughters farm and on the way we pass Bobarosa ,It's a water front bikers bar along the French broad river and just a few short years ago there would be about 300 bikes on a Sunday afternoon . Yesterday It was perfect weather mid seventies and sunny so on the way home we stopped in and I was surprised to see about a dozen bikes and more employees than customers and nobody under 55 years old . I wonder if they put in a charging station would the business pick up ?

http://www.bobarosasaloon.com/about.htm

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote