The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2013, 02:08 PM   #1
dukcaln

spark plug wires

so can you all tell me some good wires to use that I can buy local, say at napa, autozone or orilley. I had some stumble at idle and did some tinkering and found one of the plug wires cracked and the other burns a tad from resting on the header... the one cracked felt a tad briddle, not soft like the others, could that be a sparking issue?

I want to swap them out but my headers are wierd, I need two plug wires with long straight boots and the rest be the 90's. So I have been ordering plugs for a mid 80's chevy that come with two that way... any suggestions
Old 01-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
kaycee

Re: spark plug wires

I got a set of MSD wires off e-bay new cut to fit your application.I think this is 1 of the best things I have done.I have tried all the other like you mentioned over the years.Took me about 2 hrs to make mine and I ran them in the stock location ,I have headers allso.I have had the #5 wire come off and get toasted on the header,put it back on and ran it not a problem.Did replace the end when I got back home.Taylor makes great wires allso
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
cdowns

i've gotten TAYLOR wire sets in the past from local autoparts stores and they came with both 90 and straight ends for makin your own custom sets

if you need them right away and local ask the guy to look in the box
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:04 PM   #4
cableguy0

I would get a set of Taylor wires especially with headers. They seem to hold up the best being close to a header tube. A local speed shop should have them. If not you can order them through summit or jegs pretty easily.
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
dukcaln

I was never confident enough to but the ones you cut and customize.... I will see what is available tomorrow..
Old 01-14-2013, 12:14 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

In my experience, the only way to get a set of plug wires that will work correctly with a set of headers, is to get the cut to length ones. You'll just need a wire stripping tool and a crimping tool that will work on plug wires.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:16 AM   #7
cableguy0

Cut to fit wires are extremely simple and make the wires look 10x cleaner. Just do the wires one at a time,attach them on the premade spark plug end and route them through the looms to the distributor. Crimping on the terminals is very simple as is putting the boots on the distributor side. This crimping tool works perfect and is very cheap. I have a few laying around that I use but they come in the MSD wire sets.http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSD-Ignition...-/200774699790
Owner of North Point Car Care in Dundalk Md. We specialize in custom exhaust on both modern and classic vehicles. We are a full service auto shop from classics to modern vehicles. Feel free to contact me with questions. I will give a 10% discount to any board member.
cableguy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
kaycee

It's easy the MSD wire came with a crimp tool that u stick in a vice and crimp the end on.Just leave each wire a coupla inches longer than u need
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:47 AM   #9
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukcaln View Post
I was never confident enough to but the ones you cut and customize.... I will see what is available tomorrow..
It's not near as hard as you think it is. Plus you don't have extra long wires hanging all over your engine bay. Give it a shot!

MSD Super Conductors, or Taylors... you can't beat either one.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:38 AM   #10
midniteblues

years ago i used too run the cheap auto part store wires(thinking there only wires right) when i put a set of cut too fit taylors on the 355 in the camaro BOY WHAT A DIFFERNCE! i had all the other parts in the dizzy up graded before hand but after putting them wires in that really woke it up.i was truley surprized just what the better wires can do. and only get either the taylors the better accells or msd's anymore but i'm sure there others that are just as good
'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #11
Pyrotechnic

The Borg Warner Select wires from Oreilly's are a killer deal. They have a spiral wound stainless steel core, much like MSD wires have a spiral wound copper core. They are about half the price of a designer set of wires, AND they have a lifetime warranty.

I don't understand why anyone would offer a lifetime warranty on a part that wears out over time, but I've come in every few years for a new set and they never give me any trouble. They do track the warranty claims though, so if you start coming in once a month because your headers are frying them they may refuse the warranty, just because under normal conditions a good wire like that should last a long time.

Last time I checked, the Bosch brand of wires at Autozone were of the same construction, lifetime warranty, and the price was similar as well.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #12
dukcaln

thanks for the info guys... the life time warranty sounds like a great deal and both those stores are 5 min away
Old 01-14-2013, 02:48 PM   #13
Gumby

Gm and Furd use didn't end cap design till up into the 80-90s???

I just remember poeple would say they had a ford bla bla at autozone to get the 8MM wire set for cheap on warranty.

as all the chevy wires are 7mm there
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrotechnic View Post
The Borg Warner Select wires from Oreilly's are a killer deal. They have a spiral wound stainless steel core, much like MSD wires have a spiral wound copper core. They are about half the price of a designer set of wires, AND they have a lifetime warranty.

I don't understand why anyone would offer a lifetime warranty on a part that wears out over time, but I've come in every few years for a new set and they never give me any trouble. They do track the warranty claims though, so if you start coming in once a month because your headers are frying them they may refuse the warranty, just because under normal conditions a good wire like that should last a long time.

Last time I checked, the Bosch brand of wires at Autozone were of the same construction, lifetime warranty, and the price was similar as well.
I haven't bought a set of plug wires in years because of that.
Old 01-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #15
dukcaln

will it matter, 7mm vs 8mm
Old 01-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #16
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
I haven't bought a set of plug wires in years because of that.
booo Oreilly's wont come here, we had Pepboys for about 6mo and they up and left in the middle of the night without a word, just autozone and advancedauto
Old 01-15-2013, 01:23 AM   #17
dukcaln

didnt getto do this today, my brother broke down 100 miles away so that took up my day... hope to get it done soon will keep u all posted
Old 01-15-2013, 01:30 AM   #18
Redcap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
booo Oreilly's wont come here, we had Pepboys for about 6mo and they up and left in the middle of the night without a word, just autozone and advancedauto
I have three Oreilly's to choose from in a 10 mile radius. Only one of them is worth a damn, though.
Old 01-15-2013, 02:00 AM   #19
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redcap View Post
I have three Oreilly's to choose from in a 10 mile radius. Only one of them is worth a damn, though.
The best Oreillys, is about a mile from me....2 or 3 "hotties', behind the counter And they always get me what i want! I forget their names, just call em all " hey babe" All joking done,if you fit you own wires, it makes a very clean install.....MSD, Taylor, or Accel spiral core wires seem to work for me. The last set of Accel (8.8 mm) wires have been on my old truck, for about 12 yrs now....crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:21 AM   #20
JointTech

dont let them trick you. those make your own wires are a fricking nightmare. Took me hours and sore fingers to get the damn boots on. Finally on the 7th wire I smeared a ****load of dish soap on the boot and wire and it slipped right on.
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM   #21
Gumby

a little spit goes a long way too ^
Old 01-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #22
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Quote:
Originally Posted by JointTech View Post
dont let them trick you. those make your own wires are a fricking nightmare. Took me hours and sore fingers to get the damn boots on. Finally on the 7th wire I smeared a ****load of dish soap on the boot and wire and it slipped right on.
2 words... Dielectric Grease. All the wire kits I've ever assembled come with a small tube of it. I always have some in my toolbox anyways.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #23
dukcaln

bought the Borg Warner select...... will get to it today. Will let you know
Old 01-17-2013, 12:49 AM   #24
dukcaln

thanks all for the info. new borgs in and all good, better than before and the fit was better too..... looks cleaner. thanks