The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 60-66 Suburbans

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-03-2023, 12:44 PM   #1
Knothead

Suburban/Panel Rear Bumper

Has anyone modified the Rear Bumper to anything other than stock ,excluding roll pans?
Knothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 03:09 AM   #2
spacedebris

Re: Suburban/Panel Rear Bumper

Not a modified stock bumper. But my brother is a great fabricator, we took an "Iron Bull" bumper from a mid 70's Gmc and modified it to fit. I'm sorry I have no pics as the truck is currently in storage with a family member in another state. But when assembling my Panel, I decided that if there was any kind of accident, I wanted the other vehicle to take damage, not mine. So we installed armored bumpers front and rear. It took months of searching images online to find the type of look I was looking for. I wanted something rugged without looking like I was building a rock crawler. I finally settled on one that had all the angular panels rounded off a bit so it looks sort of like someone made a stock looking bumper out of 3/8th inch plate and reinforced it. Also, I needed something a little stouter than stock as we also installed a swig away spare tire mount attached to the bumper. Its obvious that it is not stock but at a glance it does not draw attention, which is what I was going for.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2023, 05:30 PM   #3
Knothead

Thanks for ideas, modified brackets to accept front bumper. Turned out nice . In my search for replacement for front bumper I stumbled upon a rear panel bumper. It needed some finessing. Those original bumpers are solid, they don’t straighten easily. It ready for paint now
Old 10-11-2023, 05:43 PM   #4
Knothead

See photo
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2023, 06:35 PM   #5
Knothead

First pic is front bumper on rear using original holes in bumper. Here is plc with correct rear bumper.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2024, 02:57 AM   #6
ironman3452

I have no pictures on here, but my 64panel has a 4 inch channel on mine, I will take some so you can see
ironman3452 is offline   Reply With Quote