The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
Reno

Alcan Springs?

Anyone have trouble installing Alcan Springs?

I ordered custom springs through Offroad Designs that were made by Alcan for my 1972 Suburban 4x4 with a Cummins with 2.5"lift.

Im running a 1992 Dodge Dana 60 front and Offroad Designs makes a kit to also install.

Well here's my problem....

The front spring have a "Military Wrap" front eye....the original spring also had a similar military wrap but only 1/4 wrap whereas the Alcan springs have 3/4 wrap which is now thicker and rubs on the rivets within the spring pocket....

Any suggestions?

I'll be calling Offroad Designs Monday when they open but thought I's see if anyone on here also had this experience and possible work around.

Thanks
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:25 PM   #2
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

Re: Alcan Springs?

FWIW I have two sets of Alcan spring that are done to OE specs for height with no military wrap and these installed without any difficulty.

I’d PM lockdoc to move this over to the 4wd or suspension forum for better chance at the most replies.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 01:09 AM   #3
72MARIO

Well I am converting a longhorn frame to 4x4. Using 1970 front spring hangers. Factory 1973 up springs are what I had planned on using there loner than stock but that was not a problem. Because of the conversion requiring the rear shackle mount to be added anyways. ... look at that beauty wrap touching the rivets.

Let me know what you find out. I might have to use a new pair of 1972 springs. I didnt want to have the added cost of the Alcan springs at this point especially living in Canada.
Attached Images

1990 V2500 Suburban "Plow Truck"
2005 TAHOE DD
72MARIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 02:35 AM   #4
kwmech

I would cut the section of secondary wrap that is hitting rivets. But that is just me.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
Reno

Well after talking to Off-road Designs I was able to correctly configure their bushings & steel spacer on the front military wrap spring. Using persuasion (floor Jack and BFH) was able to get front springs into the spring pocket - it is really close to the river and might be rubbing on it but it’s in.

Then I attached the rear of the front spring to the shackle and then to the frame.

Now is when the fun began - I used a motorcycle ratchet strap to attach the dodge Dana 60 at the passenger side first as it has the two fixed studs to attach top plate. I pulled the spring to the drivers side until I was able to mount the plate.

Then I moved to the drivers side and ratcheted the spring to the drivers side hub. Walla I was able to mount the drivers side plate to the Dana 60....

Only thing is that I’ll have to probably do this a couple more times as I need to test fit my Cummins and then tear down for clean up if the differential and powder coating the frame...
Reno is offline   Reply With Quote