The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-01-2020, 10:47 PM   #126
shearjs

Re: Project: '72 Family Hauler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ls1gto View Post
I knew I had a pic somewhere
Looks like a major difference. It’s easy to see why your ride quality improved!
shearjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #127
shearjs

What began as a mostly simple fuel tank install turned into a cnotch install, which turned into a rear end cleanup, which turned into a full rear end rebuild and disc brake conversion. These are all things that I had planned on doing eventually, but I figure I might as well dive in while it’s all apart. I likely scraped off 10 lbs of gunk and dirt from the rear end. I’ve been doing a little research to determine exactly what gear combination and traction device would give me the ride I’m looking for. With a final gear ratio of .75 on the 4l60, a 29.3” tire height, and 3.73 ring and pinion, I should be around 2096 rpm at 70 mph. My old GMC was around 2350 rpm at 70 and that felt a little high for my preference. I’m currently trying to decide between the Eaton Posi and Eaton Detroit Truetrac and leaning toward the Truetrac. Does anyone have any prior experience that might persuade one over the other?
Attached Images

Last edited by shearjs; 05-06-2020 at 01:41 PM.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #128
polishspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearjs View Post
What began as a mostly simple fuel tank install turned into a cnotch install, which turned into a rear end cleanup, which turned into a full rear end rebuild and disc brake conversion. These are all things that I had planned on doing eventually, but I figure I might as well dive in while it’s all apart. I likely scraped off 10 lbs of gunk and dirt from the rear end. I’ve been doing a little research to determine exactly what gear combination and traction device would give me the ride I’m looking for. With a final gear ratio of .75 on the 4l60, a 29.3” tire height, and 3.73 ring and pinion, I should be around 2096 rpm at 70 mph. My old GMC was around 2350 rpm at 70 and that felt a little high for my preference. I’m currently trying to decide between the Eaton Posi and Eaton Detroit Truetrac and learning to the Truetrac. Does anyone have any prior experience that might persuade one over the other?
If you are going to drive it regularly, a posi is the way to go. The true trac is more of a racing rear end.
polishspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #129
04ls1gto

I put a true Trac in mine with the 3:73 but I am running a 6l90 which has another overdrive. I highly recommend the trutrac as it drives like a open diff and is nice and quiet. Honestly made the drivability a lot better then the open diff.
04ls1gto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:09 PM   #130
FLYNAVY30

for the uneducated in the group (ME), what's the difference between the Eaton Posi and Eaton True Trac? I'm assuming they're both different takes on a limited slip diff...
FLYNAVY30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 08:00 PM   #131
04ls1gto

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
for the uneducated in the group (ME), what's the difference between the Eaton Posi and Eaton True Trac? I'm assuming they're both different takes on a limited slip diff...
The standard posi uses a spring to engage both Axel's. The trutrac uses gears instead of the spring. Check out this website

https://www.currieenterprises.com/di...ions-explained
Old 05-06-2020, 08:09 PM   #132
FLYNAVY30

Thanks very much....that was very helpful!
Old 05-07-2020, 08:49 PM   #133
shearjs

Thanks for the real world responses. I will likely go with the Truetrac. This is my first complete rearend rebuild by myself so I’m looking forward to the challenge.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:55 PM   #134
doowoppwer

I don't know diddly squat about Suburbans. Any idea why there's plywood on the floor?
Roger
doowoppwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:11 AM   #135
polishspy

Quote:
Originally Posted by doowoppwer View Post
I don't know diddly squat about Suburbans. Any idea why there's plywood on the floor?
Roger
That is standard for the cargo area of a suburban. Basically like a truck bed.
polishspy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #136
shearjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by doowoppwer View Post
Roger
I honestly don’t know why they went with a plywood floor instead of steel either.
Old 06-24-2020, 12:01 PM   #137
shearjs

I took a week off work to focus on the Burb. The to-do list included installing the Deadend Garage C-notch, painting the rest of the rails, moving the rear crossmember to install the 31 gallon fuel tank, mocking up the fuel tank, swapping springs to the CPP 4” HD, completing the rearend rebuild(ended up with a Truetrac and 3.73 gears), and running new brake and fuel lines from front to rear. I initially added the one inch blocks as well but I think it would be too low with the weight of the vehicle so I pulled those back out for now. I also have a No-limit rear sway bar that I tried to snake between the body and top of rails but I just didn’t have the ability to raise the body high enough to get it through. Maybe I’ll try again at a later date. I’m close to having the fuel pump wiring sorted out to maybe get this thing running soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by shearjs; 06-24-2020 at 05:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2020, 09:22 PM   #138
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Looks good! I can't help with the sway bar, I've never installed a rear one.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 10:27 PM   #139
shearjs

After months of distractions, I'm finally back to a spot where I want to get going on the Burb again. Since the last update, I managed to squeak the rear sway bar between the body and rails. I went back and forth a few times, but ultimately decided to sell the Wilwood Rear Disc kit with parking brake to a local C10 club member and purchase Captainfab's rear D52 brackets and new Wilwood D52 calipers. I just wasn't happy with the way my the parking brake kit matched the Wilwood D52 on the front, and I honestly can't remember the last time I used a parking brake in an auto tranny vehicle. I've also dove back into the wiring to figure out exactly where I'm at. With a little luck, I should have it running within the next few weeks. Thanks for hanging around!
Attached Images

Old 02-13-2021, 11:24 PM   #140
ajgriffin

Looking good! How did you go about painting the rails while still under the car?
Old 02-14-2021, 12:29 AM   #141
shearjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriffin View Post
Looking good! How did you go about painting the rails while still under the car?
On my back with a foam brush and a quart of POR15 and some
solid help from my apprentice. It wasn’t the most enjoyable part of the build so far.
Attached Images

Last edited by shearjs; 02-14-2021 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:23 AM   #142
ajgriffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shearjs View Post
On my back with a foam brush and a quart of POR15 and some
solid help from my apprentice. It wasn’t the most enjoyable part of the build so far.
Any man willing to risk getting POR15 on a clean Paw Patrol shirt is worth his weight in gold!
Old 02-14-2021, 08:40 AM   #143
04ls1gto

He's hired! What sway bar did you use?
Old 02-14-2021, 09:32 AM   #144
shearjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04ls1gto View Post
He's hired! What sway bar did you use?
It’s the top mount anti sway bar from No Limit Engineering. I wanted something that didn’t hang down below the trailing arms so this one seemed to be the logical choice.
http://nolimit.net/products#!/Rear-S...tegory=6157532
Old 02-28-2021, 08:27 PM   #145
shearjs

Spent a little time this weekend finishing up the rear axle brake lines and fuel tank install. Hopefully this tank is in it's home for the final time. Eager to hear this turd make some noise!
Attached Images

Old 04-04-2021, 08:39 PM   #146
shearjs

I spent a little time installing the Captain Fab D52 brake brackets and new Wilwood rear calipers this weekend. These match the front brakes a lot better than my previous attempt. It also appears that the rear wheels are pushed out an additional 1/4” or so, which I desperately needed. I am not running the spacer pictured, just using it as a washer to hold the rotors right. The new studs were too long to use existing lugs without a spacer. 1 step closer!
Attached Images

Last edited by shearjs; 04-07-2021 at 09:16 PM. Reason: Rotate Images
Old 04-06-2021, 08:04 AM   #147
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Very nice work on your burb! This is all stuff I'd like to do to our burb eventually but the money tree is missing a lot of that green stuff.

Where did you get your tank at? LMC is OOS and every where else wants to sell you a Blazer tank. I am not into ordering something that won't really fit. If I'm going to modify something I'd rather put a larger capacity tank in it. Or, do the blazer tanks actually fit?
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #148
FLYNAVY30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Very nice work on your burb! This is all stuff I'd like to do to our burb eventually but the money tree is missing a lot of that green stuff.

Where did you get your tank at? LMC is OOS and every where else wants to sell you a Blazer tank. I am not into ordering something that won't really fit. If I'm going to modify something I'd rather put a larger capacity tank in it. Or, do the blazer tanks actually fit?
You might check out Boyd Welding....made in the USA and they offer a tank for the Suburban. Not cheap but very high quality, bolt in, and you can spec it with a number of options as far as return lines, baffles, pump assemblies, etc. Its the only company I've been able to find that offers a fabricated tank with the Suburban side fill.
Old 04-06-2021, 08:24 AM   #149
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNAVY30 View Post
You might check out Boyd Welding....made in the USA and they offer a tank for the Suburban. Not cheap but very high quality, bolt in, and you can spec it with a number of options as far as return lines, baffles, pump assemblies, etc. Its the only company I've been able to find that offers a fabricated tank with the Suburban side fill.
I've got one of their tanks in my Longhorn. They do offer a very nice tank but a square body burb tank will be roughly $500 or more cheaper to get in and done.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 09:06 AM   #150
shearjs

I ordered a fuel tank kit for an 87-91 blazer through rockauto. It came with the tank, sending unit, fuel pump, and straps for $163. I swapped out the fuel pump with an Aeromotive 340lph. It is already baffled for fuel injection and only required moving the rear crossmember to make room. I'm pretty happy with the fitment. I had a Boyd tank on my old 70 GMC, but it felt like the 19 gallons didn't last very long with a 6.0L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post