The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2020, 11:22 PM   #1
jrusher

Patching above windshield ??

Hey guys I just sand blasted my 66 cab and found some rot on the inner panel above the windshield pinch weld. Wasn’t expecting that least rest of cab and floor is really solid . The eyebrow is solid on the outside. I’m not sure which is the best way to go about patching this area ? Should I go right across and cut out one longer piece out or should I just cut out the three areas I have marked out ? Also i didn’t really want to remove the roof skin so I wouldn’t be able to hammer and dolly the welds . Is it still possible to weld this patch in without planishing from the back side and still have good results as far as warpage goes ?
I’ve only done floor patches, inner/ outer rockers, a pillars , kick panels and cab corners in my other two trucks but nothing really like this area where it will be really easy to see if not done right . I bought the inner patch panel other day it’s nice they offer that now . I’m going to start all metal work once winter gets here .
Thanks for any tips
Attached Images

Last edited by jrusher; 11-05-2020 at 11:33 PM.
jrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 11:49 PM   #2
MP&C

Re: Patching above windshield ??

Those are rust from condensation inside the roof over the years draining to the low area, rusting from the inside-out..

Roger's thread is about the best in showing this cause/effect:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=582950

Old 11-06-2020, 12:51 AM   #3
jrusher

Yes foresure and dried out seam sealer doesn’t help as well in drip rail. I’ve also always had a mice nest up in that eyebrow area when I’ve removed roof panels off these trucks
QUOTE=MP&C;8832145]Those are rust from condensation inside the roof over the years draining to the low area, rusting from the inside-out..

Roger's thread is about the best in showing this cause/effect:

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=582950

.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-10-2021, 12:22 PM   #4
jrusher

Which way would you guys recommend tackling this patch ? Go right across with one big patch and remove roof skin to try and planish welds or do 3 separate patch’s and still remove roof skin to planish ? I’m not sure I’ll be able to get at welds to easily from back side once roof skin is off . Thx in advance for any help
Old 04-10-2021, 01:32 PM   #5
bsarts

I would count on doing one big patch as there is likely more damage than just what you see now. You will probably be pulling the roof skin off to clean everything up good and the welds will be easy to get to for planishing.
bsarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #6
jrusher

Okay great thanks for the info! . I’m almost done the lower cab repairs I’m going to tackle all the upper stuff next
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsarts View Post
I would count on doing one big patch as there is likely more damage than just what you see now. You will probably be pulling the roof skin off to clean everything up good and the welds will be easy to get to for planishing.
Attached Images

Old 04-10-2021, 07:43 PM   #7
MP&C

Those rust spots are typically more widespread than you see from the outside. There willl be more on the back side not yet broken through. I would suggest using an ice pick on the ends to see how far you need to go and I would also agree that one piece would be better. In this case, as you are welding a concave shape (both directions) any shrinking is going to pull the weld seam outward. You may be able to use a crowned body hammer and an air dolly to restore the weld to its proper location. If you’re lucky.

Last edited by MP&C; 04-10-2021 at 08:03 PM.
MP&C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:24 PM   #8
jrusher

Okay thanks for info . I’ll remove roof skin and clean up or lightly blast skin underneath and see what I have to cut out . I have to replace some of the outer eye brow panel at the ends as well so will be good to see how the inside of that panel looks . I’ll look for a concave hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Those rust spots are typically more widespread than you see from the outside. There willl be more on the back side not yet broken through. I would suggest using an ice pick on the ends to see how far you need to go and I would also agree that one piece would be better. In this case, as you are welding a concave shape (both directions) any shrinking is going to pull the weld seam outward. You may be able to use a crowned body hammer and an air dolly to restore the weld to its proper location. If you’re lucky.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:27 PM   #9
MP&C

BTW, air dolly is tongue in cheek.. Uses no dolly at all and relies on surrounding metal for support.
Old 04-10-2021, 10:33 PM   #10
jrusher

Okay I’ll look into one. Thanks Robert
Quote:
BTW, air dolly is tongue in cheek.. Uses no dolly at all and relies on surrounding metal for support.
Old 04-12-2021, 08:49 PM   #11
nsb29

I did this on a 64 burb it sat on the desert at my brothers for 15 years or so nose down all the seam sealer was dried up I had to replace the eyebrow and a long patch as well on the inner cab I was able to access the inner patch through the eyebrow opening and the eyebrow is spot welded in after the inner cab is done do to the shape of the inner patch it didn’t take much hammer and dolly work it just sumthing to think about
Old 04-13-2021, 03:23 PM   #12
tinydb84

Quote:
Being that you are such an expert I started down a google path to find out what this was before seeing your post below
Rear suspension rework: http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=750557
Instagram: myfabguy
tinydb84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:24 AM   #13
MP&C

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinydb84 View Post
Being that you are such an expert I started down a google path to find out what this was before seeing your post below

Sometimes you have to throw a zinger in there to see if anyone is paying attention..