The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-19-2014, 03:48 AM   #26
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpioskorpio View Post
It does look awesome.....but it also looks like an S10 scale truck, and it isn't. Those hide away doors would be the size of a Frisbee, a C10 is getting close to a foot wider than a first gen Camaro so all that stuff would be giant scale and not simply stretched Camaro pieces. Not to say it couldn't be done, but it would all need to be fabbed from scratch I think.
Yeah, I was just goofing around with Photoshop. Definitely much easier than doing it in real life lol
Old 11-19-2014, 08:18 AM   #27
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

I'm a big Camaro lover too! That would be a nice ride done correctly. I would love to have my 2 favorite vehicles rolled into one.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:04 AM   #28
tsetsaf

Here you go http://www.spoilersbyrandy.com/Pages...ckspoiler.aspx

Also the 90s era air dam fits the contours perfect.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:47 AM   #29
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
I'm a big Camaro lover too! That would be a nice ride done correctly. I would love to have my 2 favorite vehicles rolled into one.

I dont see the "Scaled S-10" look in this.... I IS sweet... but Im gonna stick with everything under the grill. Havnt fully decided on the bumper yet or not.
Possmguts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 10:26 AM   #30
tsetsaf

Here are the pics of my 90's era valence fitted with wide beam Rigid SR-4s. They are always on when the key is on and work really well. With the wide pattern I mounted them flush into the valence so they are pointing outward. Great daytime running lights and excellent fog lights. The only time they are blinding to other motorists is on winding roads when vehicles approach from an angle.

One of the photos is from Going to the Sun in Glacier just coming out of a thick fog on Logan Pass. The other is from an angle so you can see the aim and the final one was me on the way to winning the Goodguys Autocross in Phoenix (just threw that one in there to brag )
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2014, 12:25 PM   #31
no1udknow

... I'm scared to ask about that second picture lol
My build : 68 C10 Short Bed Conversion
no1udknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:02 PM   #32
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Yeah, I was just goofing around with Photoshop. Definitely much easier than doing it in real life lol
yours looks much better than the yellow one GM actually did.

skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 04:24 PM   #33
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsetsaf View Post
Here you go http://www.spoilersbyrandy.com/Pages...ckspoiler.aspx

Also the 90s era air dam fits the contours perfect.
The render I posted is intended to look like the Spoilers by Randy piece. One issue though with his spoilers is that they are made out of like 20ga steel so they end up being the most fragile piece of body work in the worst location and they are not the cheapest piece in the world. It is still what I plan to use but I also realize that I probably need to have a couple replacements on hand and treat it like a potentially consumable part.

Like I said earlier the late '80s, early '90s era 454 SS airdam does look great behind a bumper but not against an roll pan. If you have both pieces in hand there is no way to make these two look good together. I was sure that was what I was going to use for mine, even the original render I did used one:

Name:  JimmyGT Concept Nose.jpg
Views: 2855
Size:  46.2 KB

Here is the actual piece test fit before the body came off the frame:

Name:  IMG_0269.jpg
Views: 2701
Size:  45.3 KB

But once I had the rollpan in hand there was no way it was going to work.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:10 PM   #34
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

Quote:
The render I posted is intended to look like the Spoilers by Randy piece. One issue though with his spoilers is that they are made out of like 20ga steel so they end up being the most fragile piece of body work in the worst location and they are not the cheapest piece in the world. It is still what I plan to use but I also realize that I probably need to have a couple replacements on hand and treat it like a potentially consumable part.

Like I said earlier the late '80s, early '90s era 454 SS airdam does look great behind a bumper but not against an roll pan. If you have both pieces in hand there is no way to make these two look good together. I was sure that was what I was going to use for mine, even the original render I did used one:

Attachment 1326486

Here is the actual piece test fit before the body came off the frame:

Attachment 1326487

But once I had the rollpan in hand there was no way it was going to work.
I like the big lights man!
I would look at cutting some spots for them in the roll pan. They are really going to block up the air flow into the engine bay don't you think to the radiator. Just a thought

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 11-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #35
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
I like the big lights man!
I would look at cutting some spots for them in the roll pan. They are really going to block up the air flow into the engine bay don't you think to the radiator. Just a thought
Actually on mine that is why a spoiler is all that much more important to get that ground air into the radiator. Most modern cars have very little frontal grill area and get all their radiator air from below the "bumper". My truck is also going to have Trans Am fender extractors and a cowl hood so that the area behind the radiator doesn't become a high pressure area. I am also planning on a big ol' custom Ron Davis radiator with two 16" high flow fans for a 4.2 liter aluminum straight 6.

In the end the chin spoiler will actually work out better for me than the originally planned airdam anyway, with the airdam I would have had to try and draw air through the punched ports in the roll pan where with the chin spoiler I can scoop air behind the roll pan. I also plan on making a duct to block off the space between the frame rails and direct the air up to the core support. No matter how you look at it I don't think cooling is going to be an issue.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:06 AM   #36
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

Mine, fiber glass, no lights
Attached Images

1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #37
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsfine69 View Post
Mine, fiber glass, no lights
You sure it's fiberglass? looks like unobtainium to me.
Old 11-20-2014, 04:30 PM   #38
Andy4639
Old member

Question Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

Quote:
Actually on mine that is why a spoiler is all that much more important to get that ground air into the radiator. Most modern cars have very little frontal grill area and get all their radiator air from below the "bumper". My truck is also going to have Trans Am fender extractors and a cowl hood so that the area behind the radiator doesn't become a high pressure area. I am also planning on a big ol' custom Ron Davis radiator with two 16" high flow fans for a 4.2 liter aluminum straight 6.

In the end the chin spoiler will actually work out better for me than the originally planned airdam anyway, with the airdam I would have had to try and draw air through the punched ports in the roll pan where with the chin spoiler I can scoop air behind the roll pan. I also plan on making a duct to block off the space between the frame rails and direct the air up to the core support. No matter how you look at it I don't think cooling is going to be an issue.
Ok then it sounds like you have the right plan! Got any more progress pictures of it?

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-20-2014, 04:54 PM   #39
skorpioskorpio

There is lots of pics of it all in my build thread "Madera" in my signature. The chassis is at Porterbuilt in Arizona right now, so progress will start up again once it comes back.
Old 11-20-2014, 09:26 PM   #40
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

Quote:
There is lots of pics of it all in my build thread "Madera" in my signature. The chassis is at Porterbuilt in Arizona right now, so progress will start up again once it comes back.
I'm in awe! That is some build thread man! Dang I wouldn't even want to think about what kind of money you have in that build.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-20-2014, 11:03 PM   #41
kelsfine69
18 Till I Die

Quote:
You sure it's fiberglass? looks like unobtainium to me.
??
1987 Camaro Iroc 350 Tuned Port Injection
42000Km

1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI
1987 Chevrolet Silverado 350 TBI(yes 2)

Take me drunk, I'm too home...
kelsfine69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:31 AM   #42
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsfine69 View Post
??
A very rare piece, or more specifically:

"Unobtainium" has come to be used as a synonym for "unobtainable" among people who are neither science fiction fans nor engineers to denote an object that actually exists, but which is very hard to obtain either because of high price (sometimes referred to as "unaffordium") or limited availability. It usually refers to a very high-end and desirable product; for instance, in the mountain biking community, "These titanium hubs are unobtainium, man!" Old-car enthusiasts use "unobtainium" to describe parts that are vanishingly rare or no longer available.

Last edited by skorpioskorpio; 11-21-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #43
Possmguts

This would surly get the air in there ... notice the front of the hood as well as the fenders...
Attached Images

Old 11-21-2014, 09:37 PM   #44
CharlieBrown

ran a 1 gen Camaro front spoiler on my 72 back in 81 or so...built brackets and mounted it to the frame ...looked ok
1972 Cheyenne 2wd...named Death Row
CharlieBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:42 PM   #45
Possmguts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBrown View Post
ran a 1 gen Camaro front spoiler on my 72 back in 81 or so...built brackets and mounted it to the frame ...looked ok
No pictures huh?
Old 11-22-2014, 01:46 PM   #46
skorpioskorpio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possmguts View Post
This would surly get the air in there ... notice the front of the hood as well as the fenders...
I think this render was done by Carbon Customs, who is doing, or threatening to do carbon hoods for our trucks, though I'm not sure there actually is any, it was kind of unclear from their posts in another forum. It's a cool look, and you can probably get a lot of air in from the splitter, the scoop is probably counter productive and there is no place for the air to exit. If you ever look at front engine GT cars one thing you see a lot of is big aggressive rear facing louvers right behind the radiator so that the air gets sucked in low by the splitter, through the radiator (and often intercooler) and immediately ejected out of the hood. Not real practical on a street car that will ever see rain, or leaves, or anything else. The Trans Am extractors and a cowl hood are my compromise to that, get the air low, and get rid of it high and try and provide a natural path, about as good as you're gonna do without a wind tunnel.

That splitter does look cool, but probably would look a bit clunky on a truck with a more practical ride height.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:11 PM   #47
Possmguts

Quote:
I think this render was done by Carbon Customs, who is doing, or threatening to do carbon hoods for our trucks, though I'm not sure there actually is any, it was kind of unclear from their posts in another forum. It's a cool look, and you can probably get a lot of air in from the splitter, the scoop is probably counter productive and there is no place for the air to exit. If you ever look at front engine GT cars one thing you see a lot of is big aggressive rear facing louvers right behind the radiator so that the air gets sucked in low by the splitter, through the radiator (and often intercooler) and immediately ejected out of the hood. Not real practical on a street car that will ever see rain, or leaves, or anything else. The Trans Am extractors and a cowl hood are my compromise to that, get the air low, and get rid of it high and try and provide a natural path, about as good as you're gonna do without a wind tunnel.

That splitter does look cool, but probably would look a bit clunky on a truck with a more practical ride height.
Yup, it was done by them... but as far as not having a place for under hood pressure to escape, did you notice the fender vents or cowls in the black stripe on the fenders similar to what your doing with the TA vents? Im sure if they ever do come out with a CF Hood it will be way out of reach for us working class guys anyway.. but it will be cool. Ill be starting the parts ordering process next month (after Christmas) and we'll just have to wait and see what I come up with for the front of this truck I guess.

Your project is super cool, but I just dont have the money to undergo something that crazy, but I cant wait to see the finished product. I hope it meats or exceeds your expectations.
Old 11-22-2014, 07:13 PM   #48
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: 69 Camaro front valance and spoiler on a 67 c10?

Do you mean this carbon fiber hood!

Here is a link that I posted back this summer on the Power Tour. I got to meet Chris & wife and take pictures. The truck as of now is up for sale also.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=640507

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 11-22-2014, 07:20 PM   #49
Possmguts

Quote:

Here is a link that I posted back this summer on the Power Tour. I got to meet Chris & wife and take pictures. The truck as of now is up for sale also.

I think Ive seen this truck perform on the track...
Old 11-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #50
skorpioskorpio

Quote:

Strangely reminiscent of an old 442 hood.