The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2006, 09:31 AM   #151
7deuce
Sold! 2 days after finished

Re: Dragndoorhandle

I should be asking you. Your lower than I am...lol And I might as well beat the ballz of the rest of the truck before I get it painted. CAMARO THUNDER did you "cap" the bottoms of your rockers and bed sides?
7deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 09:28 PM   #152
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

j/k aboiut the comment... I have to drag the truck smooth to plate it up and build the frame for the bed and bedsides. The bed will have a 1x2 box frame supporting it all the way around. So I can drag the ____ out of it and not worry about losing a bedside.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #153
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

deucey what happened to the Sasche rod shop hinges ?
Old 09-04-2006, 10:01 PM   #154
7deuce

I got them but I havent had too much time to try to get them to work. I have them mounted to the fire wall and then I had a 1/2 in plate welded and tapped for a 3/8 bolt on the under side of the hood but when it was all bolted down and I tryed to open it the swing of the hood went down first and the back of the hood hit the cow. I only messesd with it for about an hour and I was done. I think I need a spring or something to pop that hood up first. Now that the stock garage hinges and springs are gone the hood lays there like a dead dick. Ive ben trying to find someone on here that has put these on but Ive had no luck. I have the hood on it now and the only thing holding it on is the front latch. Also I took my dog for a ride today and he stepped on the switch box, dumped the front, and need I say more about the front bumper. KAAAAAA BOOOOOOM. Round 2
Old 09-05-2006, 03:06 AM   #155
watahyahknow

might want to put in a safetykeyswitch so the knobs on the box dont work , makes a good antyteftdevice too since the cant put a towcable under it or drive it when the truck is laying on the floor even if you can get intoo the cab

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:49 PM   #156
turmoline

I bought those hood hinges. They did the same thing you describe. I had about 40 hrs in them machining mounts and engineering ball bearing swivels so that the hood popped up and swang forward away from the cowl about an inch and then lifted. I had to grind the back corners of the hood because they rubbed on the fenders. I was going to go with the gas filled struts but never got around to mounting them.Everything worked good without the struts but I didn't like how weak the hinges were. I ended up putting the originals back on for now until I can think of a way to beef up the hinge itself.
turmoline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #157
7deuce

Im about to roll 4 fu@kin hood pins and call it a day. Thoes hinges are week as hell and since they have that shoulder bolt when you tighten them up so there is no back lash they wont open. Maybe Ill try the front end flip.
Old 09-10-2006, 09:22 PM   #158
madiron
choppin it up

here is what im doing with mine use stock hinges mounts go to the frame still need to do some more bracing and get the lines right got alot of work into it and still needs more but it will be cool when its done click on the picks for a larger view

Last edited by madiron; 09-10-2006 at 09:25 PM.
madiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #159
7deuce

I need more pics on how you did thoes hinges. Also how do you get it to pop up when you release the hood handle. Did you put a spring some where because I didnt see the hinge springs still on. PICS I WANNA SEE PICS...........Im not trying to roll hood pins
Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 PM   #160
turmoline

not sure if you were talking to me or not but this is how I did mine.
Attached Images

Old 09-10-2006, 10:13 PM   #161
madiron
choppin it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7deuce View Post
I need more pics on how you did thoes hinges. Also how do you get it to pop up when you release the hood handle. Did you put a spring some where because I didnt see the hinge springs still on. PICS I WANNA SEE PICS...........Im not trying to roll hood pins
well im far from being done it will be done with a cadillac truck pull down and release the electric ones that pull down when you latch it with a electric trunk release then it wil have 2 actuators on pivots down towards the bottom so that they will be mostly hidden i have alot of bracing under the hood it is a cool mod but lots of work going to make my own suicide door hinges next i will try to get some more pics for you in a couple days everytime i go out to the shop i seem to forget the camera lol
madiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:06 PM   #162
Shane
Account Suspended

You guys that are interested in doing the reverse hood thing go to a local salvage yard and check out a mid-80's Buick LeSabre. Pay close attention to the hinge set-up as well as the latch mechanism.

All the stuff is there to use this with "our" trucks with a few fairly simple mods.

P.S. Price the Sasche hinges 7Duece ... I may be interested in them if you want to ditch them.

Last edited by Shane; 09-15-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:55 AM   #163
watahyahknow

the old beamers opened up that way too it pulls forwarth on its owm after release and then you have to lift the hood up up by hand its kindah a safetyfeature for them (the hood cant fly in front of the windshield ), think it worked with torsionbars and was pretty close to the grille of the car

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:43 AM   #164
7deuce

Did you machine the brackets out of 6061 aluminum, one piece? Also what # bearing did you use 6001 ect.. and did you bolt the aluminum piece directly to the hood.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:41 PM   #165
turmoline

yes I made that bracket out of 1x2 6061 aluminum, table sawed most of the bulk out of it and milled the rest. Those bearings are actually sealed skateboard wheel bearings.12.00 at a skate shop for all 8pcs. I also made 6061 bushings to make up the difference between the 2 diameters of the bearing and thru bolt. I used the existing hood mounting holes and found out that the surface isn't flat and had to shim the hood mounting side so that the hinge wouldn't bind. you kinda have to run these hinges somewhat loose or the aluminum just galls. Just a little food for thought. You could do the sliding hood routine or just section the back width of the hood @ 3/4", add it to the cowl and the hood would clear the firewall.Mark
Attached Images

Last edited by turmoline; 09-11-2006 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #166
7deuce

How do these other people get these fu#kin hinges to work? When I bolted them down I couldnt even get my fingers under the hood to pick it up. TURMOLINE what did you use to pop the hood up when you released the hood latch? Any help from ANYONE would be great. This hood deal is starting to really piss me off. I see 4 fu#kin hood pins in my future..........
Old 09-11-2006, 11:03 PM   #167
camaro__thunder
Epoxy Primer Friendly

rock the hood pins, just thread them and use some sweet spikes etc to hold it down..
Old 09-12-2006, 12:38 AM   #168
turmoline

67 front hood easier to get fingers under
Old 09-13-2006, 10:02 PM   #169
7deuce

Still no hood.
Old 09-13-2006, 10:52 PM   #170
gregfull

Finally got my Sachse hinges to work after trying about fifty different configurations. I put the gas struts in so they would push the hood forward and away from the cowl, it works pretty good. Here's a couple of pics.
Attached Images

57 Belair
55 Cameo
06 Chevy 1/2 ton crew
09 Suburban
gregfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 08:59 PM   #171
7deuce

When the hood is closed are the hinges at a 90 degree angle also what type of car did you get the struts from, or part #. Any of the above would be great!
Old 09-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #172
tom71
what happened to flint mi

measurements for where you mounted the hood struts would be great too
56 gmc 2wd project waitng
97 fiance mobile
tom71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2006, 11:25 PM   #173
FRENCHBLUE72
PROJECT 7DEUCE

7deuce I will get ya some pics of mine friday I am just in the begining stages of my hood flip(with 67 hood) I got the buick hinges and had to widen them to fit the width of the truck(easy part) next I made some brackets outta angle iron to mount the hinge base to.I just tached all this together so I could move it around to clear the grill. I used some 2x2 angle on the bottom of the hood to mount the top hinge plate to. That was as far as I got be for I figured out the buick hood springs were not strong enough to support the hood.. I was gonna get some stock springs and see if I could make them somehow work I have yet to get that far. As far as the hood pop up get a latch assembley from a newer chevy truck I think they pop up when they are released(maybe section it into the stock mount. I was also gonna mount a bear claw latch in the back center of the hood to keep it latched down..

MEMBER #6377

72 k-5 daily driver 6'' lift 35'' 350-350-205 slowly getting rust free.

Project "7DEUCE"

check out my build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=267665

Tim Powell..R.I.P EastSideLowlife..... R.I.P..
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 07:06 AM   #174
gregfull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7deuce View Post
When the hood is closed are the hinges at a 90 degree angle also what type of car did you get the struts from, or part #. Any of the above would be great!
The hinges are at a 90 degree when closed, and the struts came from Sachse as a kit. I plan to machine new mounting brackets for the hinges, these were just used for mock up.
57 Belair
55 Cameo
06 Chevy 1/2 ton crew
09 Suburban
gregfull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 04:44 PM   #175
7deuce

Thanks for all the info. FRENCHBLUE72 why did you change your front end. And also ANY pics would be GREAT. I think Im going to start the front flip ASAP Im tired of rollin no hood.