The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-28-2020, 02:10 AM   #1
SkidmoreGarage

Door alignment to replacement rocker

I figured I'd post a quick experience question before I start getting creative with the body saw and the welder.

I am going through a complete replacement of my inner and outer rocker. After getting the inner rocker and A/B pillars finished, I mocked up the door for the rocker panel alignment today and hit a snag (with the rocker sheet metal screwed in place.

The door line front to back looked good, and the gap consistent around the entire door. Unfortunately, the bottom of the door sits about 1/8"+ out from the outer rocker, all the way across the bottom.

Is there a trick to address this with the hinges? Can I pivot the door to bring the bottom into line? The rockers fit really well otherwise, no need to trim the front or back and they line up with the bottom seam evenly. If anything, the rocker that came off was worse and fit more poorly.

Thanks for any insights!
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
nsb29

Re: Door alignment to replacement rocker

If the door is flush with your front fender and the cab in the back and you bring the bottom of the Door in you May be in too much for the fender and the cab you may have to just work with your rocker for every yeng there’s a yang
Old 09-29-2020, 12:19 AM   #3
SkidmoreGarage

Thanks for the reply, I get what you mean. For future readers, I bought triplus replacement sheet metal. I brought out the calipers and found that the issue was two-fold.

The lower pinch weld was bent crooked by 1/8" and too shallow ( unable to reach the lower rocker when aligned) by 1/4" to 3/8". This has knock-on issues that the top is also bent based on this and will need to be relief cut to reach the pillars. If you weren't picky, it probably would be fine to just bend it and send it, but I looked at my original sheet metal and it was so much better at the lower rocker fitment. I decided to cut the lower pinch weld off, hammer it flat and just butt weld it up (no pinch weld). I'm still in the process of fitting it, it's a lot of work.
Old 10-01-2020, 03:13 AM   #4
Richard

Maybe hang the fender on cab to check alignment. Make sure rocker is not to far in at the front. If it is out fender can be shimmed. Loosening bolts on door side of bottom hinge will allow bottom edge to moved in or out. Not a lot of adjustment. Alignment will change a bit when door seals are installed and latch will need to be adjusted. If rest of the door seam looks flush at the back you can always massage the bottom edge closer to rocker with a BFH and block.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:37 AM   #5
SkidmoreGarage

Thanks for the reply. I haven't moved my door in or out, so I'm hoping the the bottom aligns with the fender still. I will bolt it all back up to make sure it isn't way out before final welding.

After some cuts/welding I was able to get it to sit correctly at the back. Picture is of the rocker clamped in place. I'm working on the front now. After getting it on, I can confirm that the issue was the pressing angle of the ends. You can't bend it without cutting though, so you cut, bend, and then everything lines back up a couple mm off.
Attached Images