The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-26-2020, 02:24 AM   #1
HeloCrewChief

1961 Viking

This absolutely the last thing I needed to go out and buy but, it was love at first sight! I have never even thought of owning a "Heavy Hauler" but, I could not get past how cool the front of this truck looks. Just tough! It is fairly local to me as well which I think is a major consideration as shipping something this big is pricey. It is located about 30 minutes from my house and I will have to do about 5 miles of Highway driving to get it home. Owner claims it is capable of 55MPH and runs great so we will see. I'm out of town for work until end of next month. I'm sure the wife will love it It was cheap enough that I feel pretty good about the purchase. I figure I will have some fun with it running my daughter around the Island and my nieces and nephews when they visit. It use to be a Bend, Oregon Fire Department truck. It is suppose to be rust free, just surface stuff. Previous owner does not know much about it. I'm guessing that is a 283 in there. I've combed over this section of the forum and have found some good information. The slave cylinder is leaking so, that will have to be replaced. I'm also curious about wheels and tires. I have to get it home to see what I'm, dealing with but, alot of guys seem to upgrade to the 22.5 accuride wheels. My plans are to get it mechanically reliable (previous owner says it is). Probably repaint it red. I usually try to save "patina" but, I think this is beyond saving. I will get rid of the wood sides as I think that will clean it up a bit (save them for any future dump runs). I will also clean up the interior a bit. I know this is one of the years that uses ball joints so, I'm curious to see what shape those are in. Any other things to look out for?
Attached Images

1968 Chevelle
1964 Comet Caliente
1990 W250 Cummins
HeloCrewChief is offline   Reply With Quote