The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-21-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
SCOTI

Splined Sway Bar Sources

My '64 has an assorted group of parts that doesn't want to play well w/traditional sway bar set-ups. I have mocked-up multiple C10 bars as well as an f-body 1Le 36mm bar but only one lines up anywhere near close to the lower a-arm link mounts. My set-up = approx. 39.25"-39.375" @ the center of the outer link mounts. Others I've measured:

Belltech C10 'Sport' bar @ 1.375"od = 40.5"
Stock '00 S10 OE bar = ~41.5"
3rd GEN f-body 36mm bar = 43.75"
G-body Malibu OE bar = ~43.5"
Addco/Porterbuilt C10 bar = 44"

Of these units I played with, the Belltech bar is closest but still too wide. I can possibly get creative enough to get it to work @ the a-arm mounts but once you put the frame-pivot bushing housing on the bar & mount it to the bottom of the frame rails, it's the lowest hanging item on the truck & it's @ a very vulnerable spot. With this being a concern, I sat back & wondered about alternative mounting of the bar. Moving it's mounting location farther back did help w/the mounting height but created other packaging issues. The shape of the bar is not ideal as-is which limits clearance so that's also a possible packaging issue (it may/may-not interfere w/my limited width front wheel/tire combo).

Ideally, I need to mount the bar within the frame rail vs. below it so I don't add a clearance concern to the bottom of the chassis which was purposely built to minimize clearance concerns .

This has me researching a Splined Sway bar as my solution. I've been doing basic Google searches for a few days & did find some info but where one source provides spec data, another doesn't (making it hard to determine what to get). Most I've found are race-car/rear set-ups. Welder Series has a DIY kit but it's not really a splined assembly nor do I feel it's adequately sized. Speedway has basically what I need (it's a 64-72 A-body spec kit) but it's too wide & they don't list narrower options in a similar configuration. I attached images of the Speedway/A-body set-up. A kit like this w/options for the main bar width is what I need.

If you've been down this rabbit hole & know of a source/sources for splined sway (Torsion) bars, let me know.
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-21-2020 at 10:57 AM.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 11:44 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: Splined Sway Bar Sources

Tci
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #3
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
Tci
While they have sway-bars, they're mainly for the TCI specific kits.

The 'custom' bars listing indicates they're from SwayAWay which I looked up over the weekend. You can order a custom bar (OD & length) from Sway-A-Way but there wasn't any info on mounts/mounting or the arms (I only found off-road arms that were straight).

The cost just for the straight bar there was $589. Add in mounting, + the actual arms & I'm betting the number would escalate quickly.
While I could possibly order the Speedway A-body kit & substitute a center bar of the correct length that's a good chunk of money 'hoping' the pieces might work together.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-21-2020 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #4
The Rocknrod

I have ordered custom bars from TCI, of course I didnt use their catalog - I called them.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 02:54 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rocknrod View Post
I have ordered custom bars from TCI, of course I didnt use their catalog - I called them.
Ahh..... So how did you go about this your 1st time? There wasn't much info in the catalog I pulled up online so I could familiarize myself w/their components to enable asking 'better' questions. Did you just call them up, explain what you were trying to do, & let them walk you through it?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 09-21-2020 at 06:38 PM.
Old 09-22-2020, 10:48 AM   #6
Willie Makeit

not sure this is applicable but hear very good things about all of Paul's products

https://welderseries.ecwid.com/Sway-Bar-Kits-c12921497
Willie Makeit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 12:08 PM   #7
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie Makeit View Post
not sure this is applicable but hear very good things about all of Paul's products

https://welderseries.ecwid.com/Sway-Bar-Kits-c12921497
Welder Series was one of the first sites I checked. Unfortunately, the bar set-up listed on the site appears to be of limited size/diameter. Adequate for a streetrod w/a lighter front end scale weight vs. a C10. They do offer nice stuff though. I've been trying to get my buddy to purchase one of their front crossmembers for his 59 Studebaker Lark.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-22-2020, 09:35 PM   #8
HAULIN' IT

Scoti, I purchased a custom made splined sway bar for the back of my truck from Speedway Engineering (NOT Motors!)http://www.1speedway.com/index.php?r...tegory&path=76

Spent some money, but it came exactly what I asked for & in a timely manor. Maybe they could help with your needs, Lorne
HAULIN' IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:39 AM   #9
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAULIN' IT View Post
Scoti, I purchased a custom made splined sway bar for the back of my truck from Speedway Engineering (NOT Motors!)http://www.1speedway.com/index.php?r...tegory&path=76

Spent some money, but it came exactly what I asked for & in a timely manor. Maybe they could help with your needs, Lorne
Speedway Engineering is one of the sources I down-loaded info from. As you alluded.... good stuff but pricy. Thanks.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-23-2020, 04:38 PM   #10
LS short box

I used a Speedway Engineering splined sway bar on my 67 Nova project. As said above not cheap but worked very well. They asked questions about the cars weight overall. Front end weight. Frame rail width. Before I bought the actual splined bar I bought their mounts and tube along with their arms. Then I used a scrap piece round stock to mock everything to get correct width for the splined shaft. Worked for me.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 06:14 PM   #11
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
I used a Speedway Engineering splined sway bar on my 67 Nova project. As said above not cheap but worked very well. They asked questions about the cars weight overall. Front end weight. Frame rail width. Before I bought the actual splined bar I bought their mounts and tube along with their arms. Then I used a scrap piece round stock to mock everything to get correct width for the splined shaft. Worked for me.
This is a possibility as I have the basic dimensions. But, the need to bend their arms to align things is a concern.

I'm also still considering getting the Speedway Motors A-body kit for the parts/pieces as the math suggests their 'arms' would possibly work (= easier for me).
Since I know that kit is too wide as is, I thought about narrowing their bar to size/re-splining (if possible) or just get another bar from Speedway Engineering in the dimensions needed.

I'll admit I'm hesitant on the Speedway Motors just because there isn't much info/specs concerning the specific parts other than some basic dimensions.
Plan is to check their return policy before making any decisions
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-23-2020, 07:48 PM   #12
Koz1

Source used Nascar stuff?
Koz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:30 PM   #13
LS short box

In regards to the arms I mocked the mounts for the spline bar and did some basic measuring for the arms. Bought the arms and had them bent cold at a local machine shop with a press. As I recall they have various arm lengths that be shorten as needed. Again it was a bit of trial and error but its not rocket science.
Keep in mind the spline bar from Speedway Engineering is hollow so shortening and res-splining might be a bit tricky.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 08:39 PM   #14
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
In regards to the arms I mocked the mounts for the spline bar and did some basic measuring for the arms. Bought the arms and had them bent cold at a local machine shop with a press. As I recall they have various arm lengths that be shorten as needed. Again it was a bit of trial and error but its not rocket science.
Keep in mind the spline bar from Speedway Engineering is hollow so shortening and res-splining might be a bit tricky.
They had a narrower bar as well. I tried calling to inquire about the set-up using the shorter one but gave up after 15mins on hold.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-24-2020, 10:47 AM   #15
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koz1 View Post
Source used Nascar stuff?
Not sure how to find what I might need within used/discarded parts. Is there a business that has a inventoried selection of suspension parts?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 09-27-2020, 02:05 PM   #16
71cheyennesuperlongb

Try racing junk.com Lots of usefull stuff.
Old 10-05-2020, 05:19 PM   #17
SCOTI

Just to follow up…..

I sent an inquiry to Speedway Engineering on a splined bar today asking for specific dimensions. I mocked-up a 'bar' over the weekend & feel the arrangement can work (bar size & mounting location). Once they respond, I'll have the details to know if I can move forward w/my direction.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 11-13-2020, 02:19 PM   #18
SCOTI

To follow-up here.... Parts were ordered & have been installed for mock-up:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...381425&page=42
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG