The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > Welcome Area

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-29-2020, 09:05 PM   #1
HeyRed

FNG from Woodstock, IL

Hello all, I’m Red
Checking in from northern Illinois. Just bought my dream truck. Ive had my eye on 67-72 Chevy pickups for a long time. Finally found one that was within my budget, close, and available. I’m lucky enough to have bought this from a guy who really loved it and did things right. It’s a great starting point for what I envision. Looking forward to learning from you all. Cheers!

Name:  7EF7E14B-C25D-4900-AC5F-81324EAA15BF.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  99.7 KB
HeyRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2020, 07:34 AM   #2
The Rocknrod

Re: FNG from Woodstock, IL

Oh man that's a great truck. Welcome to the forum.
The Rocknrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 06:45 AM   #3
72ironmike

LOL FNG ! Hadn't heard that in awhile. Looks like a solid truck. Welcome.
72ironmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 09:45 PM   #4
projectking

Welcome Red, I just painted a house in Woodstock last weekend. Love the truck!
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2020, 10:31 PM   #5
68PanelTruck

Welcome! Love the color!

Trying to bring a 68 Panel Truck back from the dead. 396 Big Block, 4 on the floor, and a whole lot of rust.
68PanelTruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 03:07 PM   #6
68Gold/white

Tell us more!!!
Looks like PO replaced the grill panel, properly, even though it was different color.
I just bought a 67 front clip from a member here (mind you , a nearly PERFECT front clip, same color).
What other things did PO perform on it?

What do you want to do to it??? I like it a lot, just like it looks........need more pictures!!!
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #7
Greasey Harley

’67 c10 with a big back window. Sweet truck!
Old 11-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #8
HeyRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68Gold/white View Post
Tell us more!!!
Looks like PO replaced the grill panel, properly, even though it was different color.
I just bought a 67 front clip from a member here (mind you , a nearly PERFECT front clip, same color).
What other things did PO perform on it?

What do you want to do to it??? I like it a lot, just like it looks........need more pictures!!!
Welp...I was able to include photos in my first post, but I’m having trouble uploading more (missing security token?). Admin messaged.
I’m running a 350/700R4 at the moment and have no plans to change that. It’s a very strong runner and that overdrive gear is killer...never had one of those before and I feel like a kid at Christmas. Most of what I have planned is incidental cosmetic stuff (new stake rails in hard maple, getting the stance a little closer to my preference...down a bit in back, other minor changes).
I have to suppress my tendency to cut stuff up. All of my previous builds have included some relatively heavy mods (chops, channels, full shaves, etc..) but I have no plans to cut this truck up at all.
The only major things I’d like to do (which aren’t really major at all) is a power brake conversion, potentially a disk brake conversion, and moving the fuel cell to the rear.
I’ll post to the group at-large some questions I have about converting to PB with 4-wheel drum brakes. I know there are separate kits for drum-drum, disk-drum, and disk-disk. Not sure which way I want to go just yet. I don’t mind the braking system now, but my wife loves the truck and wants to drive it, but the current stopping action gave her the willies when she took it out with me (made me a little nervous too).
There’s a bit of cancer in the cab corners and the rear rockers. Nothing too bad and the PO had the panels so I’m good to go there.
This truck will stay in the original paint. The patina is just too good.
I’m not in love with the throaty Flowmaster sound. And I’ll likely get the pipes running out behind the rear well rather than what I have now (running out just behind the cab with 3-inch exhaust). Maybe get some real long Smittys.

Anyway, when I get the photo thing figured out, I’ll post more.
Old 11-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #9
HeyRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by projectking View Post
Welcome Red, I just painted a house in Woodstock last weekend. Love the truck!
Man...hope you had some insulated coveralls on. Last week was chilly!
Old 11-02-2020, 08:38 PM   #10
AussieinNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyRed View Post
Welp...I was able to include photos in my first post, but I’m having trouble uploading more (missing security token?). Admin messaged.
I’m running a 350/700R4 at the moment and have no plans to change that. It’s a very strong runner and that overdrive gear is killer...never had one of those before and I feel like a kid at Christmas. Most of what I have planned is incidental cosmetic stuff (new stake rails in hard maple, getting the stance a little closer to my preference...down a bit in back, other minor changes).
I have to suppress my tendency to cut stuff up. All of my previous builds have included some relatively heavy mods (chops, channels, full shaves, etc..) but I have no plans to cut this truck up at all.
The only major things I’d like to do (which aren’t really major at all) is a power brake conversion, potentially a disk brake conversion, and moving the fuel cell to the rear.
I’ll post to the group at-large some questions I have about converting to PB with 4-wheel drum brakes. I know there are separate kits for drum-drum, disk-drum, and disk-disk. Not sure which way I want to go just yet. I don’t mind the braking system now, but my wife loves the truck and wants to drive it, but the current stopping action gave her the willies when she took it out with me (made me a little nervous too).
There’s a bit of cancer in the cab corners and the rear rockers. Nothing too bad and the PO had the panels so I’m good to go there.
This truck will stay in the original paint. The patina is just too good.
I’m not in love with the throaty Flowmaster sound. And I’ll likely get the pipes running out behind the rear well rather than what I have now (running out just behind the cab with 3-inch exhaust). Maybe get some real long Smittys.

Anyway, when I get the photo thing figured out, I’ll post more.
"Missing security token" means the photos you are trying to upload are too large in size...
Oen each photo in Paint on your Windows computer and choose Rezize from the top menu...start at 50%...then save the new image...then try uploading the pic again....if you still can upload...PM me and I will give you my email address...you can send them to me and I will rework them for you...Nice truck BTW...Bill

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2020, 12:50 AM   #11
projectking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyRed View Post
Man...hope you had some insulated coveralls on. Last week was chilly!
Wasn’t that bad after 10am lol!
90 Mustang Notchback
projectking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 06:29 PM   #12
68Gold/white

All wheel drum brakes are just flat out dangerous, my opinion, yet some here are fine with them, not by me.
When the factory went with front disc/rear drum the braking improvement was/is so much drastically better, I see no reason for rear disc. My good friend converted his 66 C-10 to front disc (only). That thing REALLY brakes well!!!
I have a 67 and a 68. I plan to convert them both to manual disc (front only, rear disc). Many here have commented they like their 71/72's that have manual disc brakes. 71 and 72 were the ONLY years that manual disc brakes have been offered.

I hate working on drum brakes of ANY kind. but can tolerate them on the back of my classic Chevy pickup. Rear disc stuff can be pricey, and sometimes getting them to function properly can be a pain.

You can convert your fronts to 6 lug disc, and not touch the rears, or convert to 5 lug. Converting your rear to 5 lug is not that difficult. Correct length 5 lug axles can be had from Moser or others, then you just need 5 lug drums (from a 71 or 72) (I plan to go with 5 lug)

Putting the gas tank behind the rear end is another must do, my opinion. I plan to use a Boyd tank.
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #13
Just Yourshadow

HeyRed, you're always welcome to swing by and check out my truck as it's out in Woodstock as well

76 Kawasaki KZ900 - One Day I'll fix it
06 Street Bob - Soon to be Sold
Just Yourshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:54 AM   #14
HeyRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Yourshadow View Post
HeyRed, you're always welcome to swing by and check out my truck as it's out in Woodstock as well
I’d dig that. I think i sent a PM but its not in my outbox.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:58 PM   #15
Lethal Tendencies

HeyRed, I am just north of you up in Hebron.
Lethal Tendencies is offline   Reply With Quote