The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #26
SCOTI

Re: A 2-link question-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Elco View Post
Sorry for the friction, Fellas! I was just looking at the basic bits and wondered, why not? I'm actually eyeing a 67 rear and t/a setup. Redrill axles, a posi and wide drums that I have on hand, 3/4 ton calipers up front. Wha-la, cheap narrowed rearend! Not trying to be cheap, as much as I kinda wanted to try a bit of fab work. That being said, it ain't like I can pony up for the QA1 kit anytime soon. Truck will be getting a 5.3/4l60 with a BTR stage 2 truck cam that is on hand. I have a 67-72 t/a xmember to mod/use to mock up. I'm also considering Z'ing the front. We'll see, I took in a 67 GMC to finish out over the weekend that'll take me a bit to deal with, so I've got time to ruminate.
This is how I would do it. The 67-72 x-member will get you the basic layout needs & can be modified to work within the Square rails or if you have the skill set I've seen guys graft the entire rear clip. Not sure that's any better IMHO. Stock T/A's cleaned-up w/some stitch welds in the seams & fresh front bushings. Fab (or buy) some front mounting brackets that allow tuning the pinion & Instant Center.

A front 'Z' done properly helps get the ride height @ a lower altitude w/o compromising ride quality. Do the Caster mods & taller upper BJ for a quicker Camber curve w/the OE suspension. Leaves $$ for better quality shocks as well.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 12:14 PM   #27
Low Elco

That's pretty much the plan. What's the taller upper ball joint? I did the 3/4 mod (moved the joint and boxed the arm) on the 67 I just did, much improvement. No urge to swap the rear clip.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 02:46 PM   #28
SCOTI

Quote:
That's pretty much the plan. What's the taller upper ball joint? I did the 3/4 mod (moved the joint and boxed the arm) on the 67 I just did, much improvement. No urge to swap the rear clip.
Taller upper BJ just makes the spindle 'taller'. A taller spindle gets you into the Camber curve quicker when the suspension compresses.

The Square set-up that they did the T/A rear clip was also a long to short conversion so they were cutting the frame in half anyway. Basically from the rear cab mount forward was 73-87 & from the front bed mount back was 67-72. I didn't see how they did the splicing so I'm not sure on specifics. I considered the T/A swap for my 74 before swapping it for my Dually. My plan was modding a 67-72 x-member. I had both OE & aftermarket so not sure what path it would have went (whichever was easiest/better fab wise).
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 10-19-2020, 12:33 PM   #29
Low Elco

I understand the geometry, my question was more toward Part Number. I wasn't aware of a taller part of these trucks and now I'm interested.
Old 10-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #30
SCOTI

Quote:
I understand the geometry, my question was more toward Part Number. I wasn't aware of a taller part of these trucks and now I'm interested.
Low-friction & .500" taller...
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/qa1-1210-203b
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-22-2020, 03:52 PM   #31
Low Elco

Hmm. Interesting, thanks!