The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #1
Texas50

Unusual Idea

Hey to all. I've been checkin out the board after recently buying myself a 1950 5-window Chevy. My totally unusual idea is I'm going to leave the factory suspension and drum brakes on the truck. In fact the only thing I plan on changing is going to power steering but that's more for exhaust clearance then anything. It already has a v8, 4 speed, and 10 bolt rearend. As soon as I figure out how to post pics I'll put some up here. You guys are a wealth of info that I hope to tap.

DM
Texas50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
hopped up

Re: Unusual Idea

nothing wrong with that.
Posted via Mobile Device
hopped up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:43 PM   #3
Root2812

Be careful with that set up. The brakes and stearing on your truck are not designed for the highway speeds that you will reach with that powertrain. The truck will not stop fast and in this day and age where people cut you off and slam on their brakes you may have issues at higher speeds. That set up was designed for 45-55mph tops.

For safety I would suggest a disk brake conversion for the front.
Root2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Wheelie

Before getting into brake dynamics and boring you with differentiating drums vs. disc and heat dissipation (or lack thereof) I will suggest disc brake conversion up front (available through most all truck parts mags around $500 complete with master) as a cheap investment if you plan on driving it how I would. Also they allow you to replace those dangerous ball bearing wheel bearings and upgrade them to tapered bearings which also are a lot safer for driving at speed. Keeping the drums in the rear are totally acceptable since the fronts do majority of braking.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #5
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelie View Post
Before getting into brake dynamics and boring you with differentiating drums vs. disc and heat dissipation (or lack thereof) I will suggest disc brake conversion up front (available through most all truck parts mags around $500 complete with master) as a cheap investment if you plan on driving it how I would. Also they allow you to replace those dangerous ball bearing wheel bearings and upgrade them to tapered bearings which also are a lot safer for driving at speed. Keeping the drums in the rear are totally acceptable since the fronts do majority of braking.
Agree completely, leave the strait axle, leave the floor starter or anything else but for safety reasons, if your running a V8, I would upgrade the brakes. a dual master cylinder is also CHEAP insurance...

But its obviously your truck and whatever you decide, Post pics!!!!
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Texas50

The trip home.

Name:  SAM_7843 resize.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  44.6 KB

Name:  SAM_7847resize.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  48.6 KB

And as it sits in the shop right now.

Name:  100_9861resize.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  63.6 KB

It's neighbor in the shop.

Name:  100_9876resize.jpg
Views: 313
Size:  67.7 KB

Thank's for the suggestions guys. I'm not sure about the discs on the front for now, but definately going to upgrade the master cylinder. My dad's vette still has the drums on all corners and stops just fine. I don't ever plan on going on a highway trip any further then to Houston (about 45 min) for the Autorama when I'm done with it. I just ment that I wasn't going to go with the s10 swap or IFS. I enjoy lookin at all of the projects on the board and I've already found a wealth of information from yall.

DM
Texas50 is offline   Reply With Quote