The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-24-2003, 06:34 PM   #1
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

Does it smell like fuel in here? or Is that smoke?

I figured out why my gas mileage has been in the crapper. Not that I expected much, mind you, but I'd have wagered good money it would be better than 2 MPG.

Turns out the accelerator pump is leaky like a sieve. My first clue was the strong scent of gasoline. Followed shortly by a pretty scary, but mostly harmless fire. Thank God for fire extinguishers!

One melted wire, and a little staining on my intake manifold. I think I got off easy.
Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 07:09 PM   #2
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

Hmmm.....fire good, keep caveman warm.....but not so good on truck crazyL
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 10:09 PM   #3
krazy_texan

sounds like what happened to my 87 burb but it burnt the whole engine compartment and the fire dept had to show up and the worst part of all was that i was at a friends house and it cought fire when my dad started to move it out of the way of his truck
1990 v1500 suburban
1967 Ford f100 Swb 4x4 "green bean"

GOD BLESS JESUS, JOHN WAYNE, AND THE ALAMO
krazy_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:21 AM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I don't even want to talk about truck fires. My first longhorn cought fire once in the middle of B.F.E. Kentucky (bout 50 miles south of Cincinati) at about 1 in the am on a saturday night. Looooong cold night it was.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 02:19 AM   #5
hobby67stepside

I thought B.F.E. was in the Mideast somewhere.
hobby67stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 10:56 AM   #6
Tynee
I miss this truck.

Georgetown is BFE? Sheesh, maybe I need to move somewhere more, "in the middle of it all" Maybe Columbus. JK'ing Mail.

'08 Crew Cab Z-71 short bed. Really like this truck A LOT.
Tynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 12:40 PM   #7
Crank

Hey, don't diss our f**ked up B.F.K. (K=Kentucky)place. We like it here. *starts to get teary eyed* It was your truck's fault. J/K. Sorry to hear about ur trucks. Hopefully my truck only has safe and small fires if it has any at all.
Brandon
Crank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2003, 11:47 PM   #8
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

LOL...this was a streach on the road where there was no exit for miles in front,a nd even more miles behind...reminded me of the freeway in the Mohjave.
It was all good though...I used some RTV to patch up the burned plug wires, some duct tape to make a fuel line a bunjee cord for a throttle return spring and I was on my way to the next exit. Just took me a couple hrs to do all that since the engine was so friken hot from the fire.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2003, 12:27 PM   #9
Earl Junior
Cadillac power

I had a derby car that I purchased from an insurance company after a fire gutted the engine compartment. 1978 Mercury Monarch with a 250 slant six.

The engine itself was ok, and after we rebuilt the carb (a stuck float bowl allowed gas to leak all over everywhere), and replaced the important wires (plug, alternator, coil, starter) we had a runnning machine. The up side of having a fire was that it (a) cleaned all the grease and grime off the front end, and (b) stripped the paint off the hood for us.

The front end just kept crumpling around the motor, and formed a kind of protective cage. I finally got put out when the distributor cap split in half and the rotor could no longer send spark down the wires.

Ended up taking second place against the full size cars. First place was a 71 Chrysler Imperial with a big block. Talk about a tank!
Attached Images

Just for the record, if I'm down to my last potato, I'm not sharing it with a guy who wants to kill me so he can get a better supply of virgins in paradise. That lesson is a little thing I call Economics 101, infidel style.

--Scott Adams author of Dilbert
Earl Junior is offline   Reply With Quote