The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-26-2012, 06:49 PM   #151
Maximus

Re: My Build - 1955 2nd Series Short Bed Stepside

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
my stereo has an usb plug up front
the thought of a 2'' thumb drive sticking out scared me
until i found these short ones... newegg.com
skipping cd/dvd are a thing of my past
no folders, just 16gb of random rock and roll

Yea, flash drives and SD cards are a great upgrade from mp3 CDs...
the Retrosound unit i installed has a 'dock' that is wired into the rear of the unit, so I will either mount the USB/SD card receiver in the ash tray or glove box for nice hidden access
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:31 PM   #152
55Cameo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
Work is continuing to overpower my time, however I was able to install my new stereo. I went with the Retrosound Apache radio and am happy with it. It won't be easy to navigate through all my folders of music on my usb drive but it fits the stock opening and plays either SD cards or USB Thumb drives so thats all i need. I don't have speakers installed yet but when I figure out what I am doing with those ill post some photos

I really like how that look. Came out nice. The remote mount for the drive is a cool feature. Interesting to see where you put it
Old 04-26-2012, 08:59 PM   #153
OrrieG

Looks good, just want to say this jogged my memory on Retrosound. Thanks
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #154
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Looks good, just want to say this jogged my memory on Retrosound. Thanks
Thanks guys for the complements. The unit was backordered for 3 months so I am happy to have it and install it. It's a universal radio with a 55-59 dash insert so it was kinda a pain to install, you can adjust the knobs all over the place for each application, and they plugin to the head unit with nice clips so its a decent design for creating one stereo for many applications.
it also has RCA inputs and outputs for amps and other random audio sources you may have like an external computer running audio, or a cd changer or whatever... having the mini sterio input on the face and on the usb/sd adapter, along with a usb and sd reader, i wouldnt see any reason to use any other audio sources... but the RCA input still allows for it. maybe if you wanted to run a DVD player through the head unit?? but i'm not putting that much tech in my truck, just a SIMPLE sterio for now, MAYBE subs/amp in the future...

I'm a technology buff and so having such an old car with so much old technology I like having one piece in the truck that is totally modern and up to date with current trends (aka USB/SD memory to hold MP3 instead of CD or CD Changers...)

again, once I get some speakers and mount them, and mount the card reader ill throw more photos up!
Old 04-27-2012, 05:00 PM   #155
_Ogre

nice little head unit, here is a link to the usb/sd remote

if you get to the sub and amps check out my interior build
i blended my enclosure into my console but the base unit would fit in any tf truck

i can't remember if you shaved your cowl vent or not but these were easy to make too

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 11:49 AM   #156
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
nice little head unit

if you get to the sub and amps check out my interior build
i blended my enclosure into my console but the base unit would fit in any tf truck

i can't remember if you shaved your cowl vent or not but these were easy to make too
Your Sub box looks great! great use of all that dead space.
I will be retaining my cowl/vents so the full kick panel isn't a 1st option, but I was thinking something similar... although my free time lately will likely have me buy the ABS speaker molded kick panels for sale through all the truck parts houses
Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #157
Maximus

Life has been keeping me busy but i am getting a little time here and there for the truck... I FINALLY got my heater core (re-cored) back and assembled my heater box, i dont think i have a final pic of it but here is one of the core in the box... also broke down and just bought the ABS molded speaker kick panels, and im glad i did. so simple, and so clean... and they fit in and saved me hours of work... I'll have to cut the pass. side if I want the clean/fresh air vent from the deluxe heater but thats not an big deal at all...
Also cut my new vent cables to size and hooked em up, they fit GREAT it the throttle and wiper spots between the lighter hole on the dash. I like how they look and it keeps em from hanging under the dash, and I dont expect them to interfeer with a wiper assembly but ill deal with that when I get to it hah...
Sun was bright so my phone-camera struggled... sorry...

Next steps are to blast/paint my vent grills, re-drill the welded up heater holes, install heater, and fix my faulty hydraulic brake switch so I can lower my brake pedal away (the firewall switch requres the pedal to be too high up for my taste, so i installed a hydraulic switch but it failed out of the box... )

Old 05-21-2012, 04:05 PM   #158
Kim57

Every little bit helps.
Looking good.
Kim
Old 07-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #159
Maximus

been a while without an update... main changes: I finally welded my gas-cap hole closed, and welded a small hole in the roof from some previous owner's project (was in a hurry over the weekend so didnt take photos) but the big news for my truck is its new back-half...

after slowley collecting parts to rebuild my bed I stumbled across an add on CL that was 150 miles from my house... - so I jumped on it and i'm glad i did. my bead was trashed, as you can see from my photos in my build, I found a good set of fenders, a new tailgate and bought other parts, but was still going to need a TON of work on my bedsides and new steps... - so the decision was easy. PLUS, i was thinking of painting my truck red, however now without any further thought needed I will be trying to get the remaining bodywork/prep needed this year and painting my cab/doors/front end white... the photos will be the obvious reason as to why hah...

here is my new purchase...

i was able to buy an entire bed (minus wood/strips) including bumper(which i needed) from a man converting his 59' to a fleet.

above photos from seller, below photo from the bed in my yard (had to remove pass. fender to get it in my trailer heh...
Old 07-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #160
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Nice find on the bed.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #161
Maximus

thanks! im very excited about it, its going to save me MONTHS of work/energy - being a novice painter only having to paint half of the truck seems alot more doable to me hah.

Hey Kabwe, do you have a photo of one of your doors window frame? My Big-window cab has the stainless holes but my doors were from a cheap model truck (not even a pass. mirror heh) and I was looking for a visual to help me template the holes on my doors...
BTW, when are you gonna stop helping the world and be a little selfish and get moving on your own project?
Old 07-12-2012, 03:17 PM   #162
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
thanks! im very excited about it, its going to save me MONTHS of work/energy - being a novice painter only having to paint half of the truck seems alot more doable to me hah.

Hey Kabwe, do you have a photo of one of your doors window frame? My Big-window cab has the stainless holes but my doors were from a cheap model truck (not even a pass. mirror heh) and I was looking for a visual to help me template the holes on my doors...
BTW, when are you gonna stop helping the world and be a little selfish and get moving on your own project?
I closed all those holes on my doors so I can't help there.

As far as my truck, I've been working on it but nothing to post pics about. I do need to stop working on others people rides, but I keep my promises. I have not made any more promises lately I have one more to fulfill so I will be done soon.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 07-12-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:44 PM   #163
_Ogre

good find on the bed
fleetside guys want stepsides, stepside guys want fleetsides; i guess the grass is always greener...

since the bed is painted white, will that be the color of your truck?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #164
Kim57

Very nice find on the bed.
Kim
Old 07-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #165
Russell Ashley

Nice find on the bed. You must be living right, first you found a very nice BBW cab and now this perfect, already painted bed, LOL

There's a pic of a door with the holes for the trim in this thread.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=533137
Russell Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:40 PM   #166
Maximus

Thanks for the link russel, ill need that photo to get my trim all in

as for the parts... the bed was pure luck that the guy had a great bed and just wanted something different. the fenders, sides. tailgate, lower cross brace under tailgate and front panel are all new repop parts, the steps are old but in good shape - but in most cases out here (northern cali) you can find some good rust-free parts as long as you stay away from the coast. unfortunately this bed was right on the cost so little surface rust is coming in on the tailgate and such even though they were all new parts, but now that its inland I can keep it protected.

patience is a virtue haha

funny story though, i wasnt even looking for a bed. My bed was so messed up i was going to weld in a S10 floor and rhino-line the whole thing to hide the dings, in searching for an S10 bed for a good floor to cut out I found this bed....

sometimes life works in funny ways, someone or something must have been telling me not to cut up an S10 bed, and that my truck needed a wood floor...
Old 07-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #167
Maximus

didnt make any progress on they truck this week, on my journey to get the bed my new-to-me toy-hauler had a check engine light.
after much debate as to what to do (and some suggestions on the 88-98 section) I just did a simple tune-up and solved my problems!
Now that its running well again i can focus more on my truck...

here is my new tow rig - 2000 Z71 Tahoe BONE STOCK - just like im keepin' it!

Old 09-18-2012, 11:41 AM   #168
Maximus

No progress in a while, FINALLY drilled the holes for the heater box, the blower will be next

now i have to find that thread where someone shows the length of the spacers for the heater box-firewall gapping...

Old 09-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #169
spousta

Thats a fancy record player! Looks great sometimes the look is better than what it can do for you or ease of function. I like it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 AM   #170
Maximus

thanks Spousta and Nice GMC! I really like the way the radio looks and it puts out a decent sound as well for having weak little speakers

Had some time today so i drilled the blower holes and threw some spacers on the heater/blower and bolted it up.
In case anyone cares, a few months ago Daze57 told me his heater spacers were as follows "the 3 on the blower motor itself (3 studs are all 5/8 inch spacers. on the other part - the core side box has 3 studs also . the 2 shorter studs are 5/8 in. and the longer stud is 7/8 in"
Stacked some washers and went on my way.
FINALLY got this heater bolted up was sitting in my shed for about 4 months lol....

I know that the main difference between the standard and deluxe heater is the fresh air intake but i doubt ill hook that up any time soon...
Old 09-22-2012, 01:07 PM   #171
Hogsophist

Quote:
Thanks guys for the complements. The unit was backordered for 3 months so I am happy to have it and install it. It's a universal radio with a 55-59 dash insert so it was kinda a pain to install, you can adjust the knobs all over the place for each application, and they plugin to the head unit with nice clips so its a decent design for creating one stereo for many applications.
it also has RCA inputs and outputs for amps and other random audio sources you may have like an external computer running audio, or a cd changer or whatever... having the mini sterio input on the face and on the usb/sd adapter, along with a usb and sd reader, i wouldnt see any reason to use any other audio sources... but the RCA input still allows for it. maybe if you wanted to run a DVD player through the head unit?? but i'm not putting that much tech in my truck, just a SIMPLE sterio for now, MAYBE subs/amp in the future...

I'm a technology buff and so having such an old car with so much old technology I like having one piece in the truck that is totally modern and up to date with current trends (aka USB/SD memory to hold MP3 instead of CD or CD Changers...)

again, once I get some speakers and mount them, and mount the card reader ill throw more photos up!
I made the Sam choice and love it. No antenna. With smart phones I downloaded radio apps and pandora, aux input and voila. Went with kick panel speakers that I think retrosound made and am very pleased. Tossed in a low end low profile powered sub that fits under a stock bench and really like it.

How did you manage to clean up all the wires around the steering column base?
Posted via Mobile Device
Hogsophist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:37 PM   #172
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogsophist View Post
How did you manage to clean up all the wires around the steering column base?
Posted via Mobile Device
as of right now, with 2 rolls of electrical tape... When im putting finishing touches on the truck (at this rate in another 5 years lol...) ill likely build a cover to wrap under the column and hide all the wires...
Old 09-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #173
oldcouple

Looking good, need to grab one of these for the heater. http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1955-1959.html
Old 09-24-2012, 08:30 PM   #174
Madd Doc

Nice score on that bed, I actually found a fleet side that some one made into a trailer, picked it up for $50 and it has the original 1/2 ton rear end in it..bonus..

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...03#post6183103

“I would rather spend 2 hours making a part than spend $2.00 buying one”
Madd Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:48 PM   #175
Maximus

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldcouple View Post
Looking good, need to grab one of these for the heater. http://www.ecklerstrucks.com/chevy-t...1955-1959.html
Thanks! And i think that decal is for the Standard heater, and not the deluxe - i looked into decals for the deluxe heater and didnt seem to find any - seemed like they didnt have any from the factory... if this is wrong someone please show me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madd Doc View Post
Nice score on that bed, I actually found a fleet side that some one made into a trailer, picked it up for $50 and it has the original 1/2 ton rear end in it..bonus..
I was reading your thread a few days ago! Beautiful '57, my father has a '55 2-dr Post (why i bought my '55 truck)
that bed was a STEAL! those things in northern cali go from $500-1200
I woulda paid the $50 and probably built a whole other truck because of that bed lol...