The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #1
monte0185

Project ??????

Well I cant really come up with a fancy project name but I figured since i posted some pics in the welcome area I would at least start a build thread to show the progress of my Truck. What I have is a 1972 Chevy C10 Cheyenne. All original from what ive been told and also been sitting in a barn for 15 years. I picked it up for 400$. The guy I bought it from bought it from the original owners wife. He apparently passed away a few years ago. They knew each other but the previous owner parked it cause it quit running and bought a new truck but didnt want to part with it. Anyway not sure if the story is true or not but regardless it looks the part. The seat was gone and so was the gas tank. The guy i bought the truck from Chunked them in the garbage cause the seat was ate up with mice and bugs and the tank was rusted beyond repair. So now im looking for both. He could not get it started either so he started taking the motor apart with the idea of rebuilding it. Shortly after he bought another truck and his wife said he had to many projects it had to go. Hence the cheap price!!! So Im starting by putting the motor together to see how shes gonna run.
Attached Images

monte0185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
monte0185

Re: Project ??????

Well I spent most of the long weekend going back and forth to various parts stores gathering the correct water pump and parts and carb kit but got it all together and now its running. Has good oil pressure but the rings are stuck to the pistons im pretty sure cause it smokes pretty good. Heater core is also leaking but I had an HEI dist laying around and some manifold gaskets all i needed was a water pump and the heater hose fitting and some hoses and a carb kit to get it to where i could find out what kind of shape its in. So not alot of money spent just time and gas. Anyway here are some pics.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2008, 07:06 PM   #3
thirdstreettito
Resident of Here

Well, looks like you got a nice deal! Good luck!

Miss having a truck
thirdstreettito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #4
monte0185

Now for the next step in the chain. Engine rebuild. Since this is just gonna be used for the time being to drive back and forth to the dump and haul stuff every now and then I dont really want to put alot of money in it and i want to keep it mostly original. So here is what im thinking. Pull the 307 out and clean it up and re-ring and bearing it providing the cylinders can be honed and arent too worn. I have a complete gasket set and a set of main bearings and half a set of rod bearings providing its a large journal 327 crank and i can use 350 bearings which i think it is. For heads i have a set of 99 vortec heads and a 4bbl intake to go on it. Everything else is pretty cheap to come buy so i should be able to build it inside of an weekend for little to nothing. So what do yall think?
Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 PM   #5
screamin_eagle
Account Suspended

oh mice. sounds just like my pickup story and all. good luck rewiring and finding all of there (lovely little) nests. If you don't it's only a matter of time before they show by rusting through.
screamin_eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
hotrodxy

reminds me of my last one, it was a 70 the same color, stolen
1968 Barracuda Big block- sold
1969 Firebird 400/400-sold

Last edited by hotrodxy; 10-14-2008 at 09:43 PM.
hotrodxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
monte0185

I have went over the wiring with a fine tooth comb and so far nothing. Still all factory and aside from a couple cut wires from someone hooking up a radio wrong its all together. I cannot stand wiring thats all jacked up and rigged. It is one of my pet peives I guess. I like everything to look like it came from the factory that way or at least if it didnt it should have. Im not sure what to do about the woodgrain on the body. Since its missing some pieces i debating on weather to replace all of it or just take it off. Im not to fond of it but it breaks up all that green. Anyway Here are some pics of my instrument cluster I cleaned up. I need to order a new printed circuitboard still but it looks alot better than it did. Battery guage looks like it overloaded at some point and it shorted most of the board. Still debating on filling in the center part with black like original. Oil pressure guage was stuck but a little graphite and it works like new.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2008, 10:28 PM   #8
OARNGESI

Cheap truck looks great for the price
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 08:00 AM   #9
72BlckButy
Tot Roddin'

Great looking project, good luck with the build!

1969 CST SWB - Project Blank Slate (4.5/6" ECE Static Drop, 6-lug disc brake upgrade (manual), Billet Specialties Vintec 20x8.5 255/40 (F) 20x10 295/40 (R), 250 I-6)
1960 AMF Skylark - Tot Roddin' (Lowered with custom frame; soon to include custom push bar and interior)
2008 Silverado CrewCab 1LT (5.3L, 3:73, 4x4, LT1, Z-71, Towing Package)
72BlckButy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:57 PM   #10
monte0185

Well last weekend i picked up two fairly decent seats and two gas tanks for 40$ Why two? Well if it werent for bad luck i wouldnt have any at all so i figured for the price why not increase the odds. Fortunatley all were in great shape. I know i should have moved it to the back and in time i will but for now im just trying to get it on the road. The engine took a slight turn. This weekend i picked up a 00 model vortec 454 with 23k on it. Sounded great before they pulled it out. I got all the wiring and everything for 400$ Eventually will go fuel injection but not just yet. Got to get an intake and a set of headers and a flywheel and some big block frame mounts and I should be in buisness. Ill take some pics of everything and will post tomorrow night if i get a chance. So far I have about 1005$ in the truck give or take a few dollars for misc items. Heres a breakdown.
400$ Truck
400$ 454 engine
100$ waterpump and fuel line and heater hose and clamps and spark plug wires.
40$ for 2 carb kits. Long story.
40$ for 2 seats and 2 gas tanks.
25$ for printed circuit board for instruments.

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.
Old 11-03-2008, 12:03 AM   #11
allen123
It'll buff out

$400? thats a steal nice score

My Build
Cody Allen
allen123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 10:00 AM   #12
monte0185

Well heres some pics as promised. Engine shots and Interior pics. Still debating on the instrument cluster thats why its not mounted yet. I cant decide weather I need to trip the inside with black like factory or paint it all black or just leave it the way it is. The seat is getting a camo seat cover for now. I figure itll match the green.
Attached Images

Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together.