The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2020, 07:20 PM   #2126
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Re: How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10

Now, tackling the transmission protrusion has proved to be a bit more complicated. I started by building a tunnel section forward of the floor brace. This will serve as the flange for the bolt in hump to seal against. (Sorry for the blurry pic)
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

'70 Short-Wide How to: Ruin a perfectly good C10
‘70 Blazer ConversionHow To: Ruin a Perfectly Good 4wd
'72 Highlander How To: Ruin a Perfectly Good K/5 (SOLD)
'72 Blazer 2WD How to: Ruin a perfectly good Blazer (SOLD)
'05 Yukon Daily Driven (not so stock) Yukon (SOLD)
‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
gringoloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:25 PM   #2127
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Then built a kick-out to cover the rear of the shifter base. Just need to figure a way to tie it all together now.
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Members met list: SCOTI, darkhorse970, 67cheby, 67cheby'sGirl, klmore, porterbuilt, n2billet, Fastrucken, classicchev, Col Clank, GSFMECH, HuggerCST, Spray-Bomb, BACKYARD88, 5150, fine69, fatbass, smbrouss70, 65StreetCruiser, GAc10boy
Old 03-28-2020, 09:11 PM   #2128
SCOTI

Looks good from the image
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 10:21 PM   #2129
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Quote:
Originally Posted by gringoloco View Post
Then built a kick-out to cover the rear of the shifter base. Just need to figure a way to tie it all together now.
Could you use the back half of another high jump and just lengthen the original cover?
Same shape just longer.
Notch it to go over the higher floor section?
Just an idea to keep the trans cover all the same shape.

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 02:25 PM   #2130
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Looks good from the image
Thanks, getting there
Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
Could you use the back half of another high jump and just lengthen the original cover?
Same shape just longer.
Notch it to go over the higher floor section?
Just an idea to keep the trans cover all the same shape.
That was my original plan (or one of them). Problem is that it starts to occupy the same space as the front of the bench seat. Still scratching my head, we’ll see where it ends up...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 04-02-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 07:31 PM   #2131
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Ladies and gentlemen, meet Franken-hump. Everything fits underneath with (a little) room to spare. Now just needs lots more grind, weld, grind, weld, grind, weld, grind, paint. It just might be close enough for a stock style carpet to fit. ...or I might be seeing if the wife’s sewing machine can handle carpet bindings...
Attached Images

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-29-2020, 07:40 PM   #2132
Kronald_70GMC

I like it. Very creative. I bet your getting excited to drive this thing again!

1970 GMC "Project Splice"

2017 Silverado LTZ (Daily Driver)

IG: kyle_ronald
Kronald_70GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:15 PM   #2133
SCOTI

I'm betting 'high-hump' carpet will cover it fine. The area would be right in front of the seat edge so I bet that will help camouflage any irregularity.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 03-29-2020, 10:37 PM   #2134
smbrouss70

Nice job! I agree with Scoti, I think the stock carpet will fit close enough with the seat right there.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 10:58 PM   #2135
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronald_70GMC View Post
I like it. Very creative. I bet your getting excited to drive this thing again!
It’s modern art So ready to be driving. I need to build my punch list, the end is near, I can feel it.
Quote:
I'm betting 'high-hump' carpet will cover it fine. The area would be right in front of the seat edge so I bet that will help camouflage any irregularity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
Nice job! I agree with Scoti, I think the stock carpet will fit close enough with the seat right there.
Fingers crossed, guys; I’m hoping it isn't too far off. I’m thinking with it being under the seat, maybe a little steam and some creative insulation application will be enough to make it work. This is honestly way less intrusive than it looked in my brain

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Last edited by gringoloco; 03-30-2020 at 11:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2020, 11:51 PM   #2136
kehstr

Looking good!! When you are done welding that high hump, you will hardly be able to tell it has been modified.
As per you having to raise your bench seat 2". Will you still fit in the truck with that raised up? I know I would not be able to fit in my truck if I raised the seat even 1" (6'2" tall). Just something to think about.

Check out my Youtube channel
@Chad's Fab
kehstr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:09 AM   #2137
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehstr View Post
Looking good!! When you are done welding that high hump, you will hardly be able to tell it has been modified.
As per you having to raise your bench seat 2". Will you still fit in the truck with that raised up? I know I would not be able to fit in my truck if I raised the seat even 1" (6'2" tall). Just something to think about.
Thanks, that’s the idea, like GM did it, but different. The seat should only have to come up a half inch, and only on the rear mounts. So really it’s only tilting forward just a little bit. I sat in it with a couple of 3/4” pieces of wood under the legs and it seemed ok. You are right though, not much wiggle room in there for us tall guys.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 03-30-2020, 11:22 AM   #2138
smbrouss70

I'm not familiar with the 88-98 bench that you are using, but is there a way to clearance the back bar of the seat frame enough to allow you to not have to raise it? Maybe dimple the tube with a BFH?

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -- Will Rogers
R.I.P. Oscar

R.I.P. Ratchet

1967 Pontiac GTO - Dad was the Original Owner
1970 Chevy 2wd SWB "Oscar's Truck"
1970 Chevy 2wd Blazer "Ratchet's Blazer"
2013 Chevy 2500HD Crew Cab Duramax/Allison Z71 LTZ "Brown Sugar"
2017 Chevy Suburban "BDB"
2020 Chevy Blazer Premier "Foxy"

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Shop Build
smbrouss70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:49 AM   #2139
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbrouss70 View Post
I'm not familiar with the 88-98 bench that you are using, but is there a way to clearance the back bar of the seat frame enough to allow you to not have to raise it? Maybe dimple the tube with a BFH?
Probably, though unfortunately the seat bottom upholstery wraps over and is attached to that particular beam.

I have already sectioned the side mounts, so it sits waaaay low, which is the only reason this is even an issue. Bumping it up a touch shouldn’t be a big deal. The spacers should disappear into the carpet/insulation.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-01-2020, 09:48 AM   #2140
mcbassin
Still Learning

Awesome progress on your truck Chris! Just getting caught up on the manual tranny install. VERY COOL!

I know it's tough to get out and drive with the virus and all but I'm wondering about your suspension setup and how you like it? Have you had it on the highway? two lane running 65 yet? Just curious how it handles bumps and hickups in the road?
I feel like I want to install coil overs on my truck just not sure yet. I will remain static either way. I may just have to raise it up a bit..... I'm tired of hitting asphalt with my stock control arms. stay safe out there
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #2141
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcbassin View Post
Awesome progress on your truck Chris! Just getting caught up on the manual tranny install. VERY COOL!

I know it's tough to get out and drive with the virus and all but I'm wondering about your suspension setup and how you like it? Have you had it on the highway? two lane running 65 yet? Just curious how it handles bumps and hickups in the road?
I feel like I want to install coil overs on my truck just not sure yet. I will remain static either way. I may just have to raise it up a bit..... I'm tired of hitting asphalt with my stock control arms. stay safe out there
One of the best things about aftermarket raised x-members (or pancaked OE units) is the additional ground clearance @ the lowered heights.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-01-2020, 10:50 PM   #2142
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:

No real drive time on it yet, still lots to do before she’s road worthy. From the little bit I’ve driven around the neighborhood, it feels really good, but it’s tough to judge without a proper alignment, interior, exhaust, wiring, etc. People who have bagged dropmembers rave about the ride/drive—this should be a similar experience, I hope.

Definitely do your homework if you decide to do a bolt on coilover kit. I’ve looked at a bunch and most don’t offer much in the way of ground clearance, and some of them are actually worse than stock. Tubular arms alone that will accommodate stock type coil springs will buy you an extra inch or so, mainly due to the smaller diameter bushings.
Quote:
One of the best things about aftermarket raised x-members (or pancaked OE units) is the additional ground clearance @ the lowered heights.
Couldn’t agree more. This was one of the determining factors in wanting to do a crossmember versus arms only. Somewhere along the way, I lost sight of that and instead of moving everything up out of the way, I brought the whole truck down...

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-02-2020, 09:52 AM   #2143
SCOTI

Quote:
No real drive time on it yet, still lots to do before she’s road worthy. From the little bit I’ve driven around the neighborhood, it feels really good, but it’s tough to judge without a proper alignment, interior, exhaust, wiring, etc. People who have bagged dropmembers rave about the ride/drive—this should be a similar experience, I hope.

Definitely do your homework if you decide to do a bolt on coilover kit. I’ve looked at a bunch and most don’t offer much in the way of ground clearance, and some of them are actually worse than stock. Tubular arms alone that will accommodate stock type coil springs will buy you an extra inch or so, mainly due to the smaller diameter bushings.

Couldn’t agree more. This was one of the determining factors in wanting to do a crossmember versus arms only. Somewhere along the way, I lost sight of that and instead of moving everything up out of the way, I brought the whole truck down...
Truth. There needs to be a happy medium or you fight the same battle. I like trucks @ a 6/8 drop that have the uncompromised drivability of one @ stock height. The aftermarket x-members def help minimize the compromises.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 04-06-2020, 08:36 AM   #2144
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:

Thanks for info, Chris. Right now, I'm on standbye with doing any upgrades. Just trying to get intel from people that have actually installed coil overs. I have a few friends locally that are enjoying theirs. However, they dropped a ton of cash on the parts...
Stay safe out there bud.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:22 AM   #2145
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Thanks for info, Chris. Right now, I'm on standbye with doing any upgrades. Just trying to get intel from people that have actually installed coil overs. I have a few friends locally that are enjoying theirs. However, they dropped a ton of cash on the parts...
Stay safe out there bud.
Take a look at the CPP front kit. They seem to have addressed the ground clearance problem that other coilover kits have. Typically, the coilover is long, due to construction using an upper and lower hat on the shock body, which forces the lower arm to have a pocket or bracket hanging down. CPP moves the upper spring hat to the crossmember, while keeping the lower adjustable hat on the shock body. Really it’s more like a strut setup than a traditional coilover, but takes care of the packaging dilemma handily.

Out back, I really like the adjustability of the QA1 setup and the outboard mounting of the coilovers is inherently more stable and allows for longer shocks than an inboard setup.

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-08-2020, 08:18 AM   #2146
mcbassin
Still Learning

Quote:
Take a look at the CPP front kit. They seem to have addressed the ground clearance problem that other coilover kits have. Typically, the coilover is long, due to construction using an upper and lower hat on the shock body, which forces the lower arm to have a pocket or bracket hanging down. CPP moves the upper spring hat to the crossmember, while keeping the lower adjustable hat on the shock body. Really it’s more like a strut setup than a traditional coilover, but takes care of the packaging dilemma handily.

Out back, I really like the adjustability of the QA1 setup and the outboard mounting of the coilovers is inherently more stable and allows for longer shocks than an inboard setup.
Thanks for the information Chris. I will take a look at the CPP and QA1.
Old 04-08-2020, 01:11 PM   #2147
Inverter

StitchMaster. Beautiful approach for that transition.
Are you using rolocs for finish work ?
Attached Images

Old 04-08-2020, 07:22 PM   #2148
doowoppwer

certainly a lot of creativity. thanks for sharing. roger
doowoppwer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #2149
gringoloco
A guy with a truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverter View Post
StitchMaster. Beautiful approach for that transition.
Are you using rolocs for finish work ?
Thanks for the compliments, I spent a while thinking on this one before somewhat luckily landing on this solution. For metal finishing, I use a combination of 3” cutoff wheel on a die grinder to knock the heads off of the beads, then 4.5” flap wheel on an angle grinder, to bring them flush with the surrounding metal, then a 6” sanding disc on a DA to make it all purty. Rolocs, die grinding stones, and hammer/dolly all play their role as well, depending on the shapes and angles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doowoppwer View Post
certainly a lot of creativity. thanks for sharing. roger
Thanks Roger, I’ve learned most of what I know by watching others (many on this forum), which gives me the confidence to try new things. I hope by sharing that I can pass it on. Also makes me up my game, knowing people will be looking at my work. If not for posting here, this thing might be all bailing wire and duct tape

Instagram _elgringoloco_

‘07 Yukon Denali (daily)

Old 04-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #2150
cornerstone

Quote:
If not for posting here, this thing might be all bailing wire and duct tape
That's hilarious! I know what you mean, my daily driver has all kinds of half_fast "repairs"... why you ask?... because the problem was solved and no one has to look at it but me.

Every now and again I have to re-attach the dangling wires barely twisted together in the passenger side floorboard from one of these "I'll get to it later" style fixes.

I do like it when guys post their not so great work. Seeing someone else's sub-par work gives me the warm fuzzies, it makes me feel a little less Sanford and Son-ish.

1972 C10, "Loyd", LWB to SWB, 5.3, L83/6L80e, 4:11 Tru Trac, Air Ride, VA, DD, 20" Coys, 4 wheel disc, A quick LS swap turned into a 6 year frame off resto-mod.
cornerstone is offline   Reply With Quote