The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-24-2013, 04:41 AM   #26
Thomo5150

Re: C20

Starting to re square the frame, once the cross members are removed its not an easy task to bolt it back together making everything square again. This is why I went for a 6 x 6 inch box section to replace the gearbox cross member. This centre cross member is what everything else frame wise will be squared off...........

Bevelling the edges to fit inside the C section of the frame.

The cross member now sits flush with the frame.

Because the frame will be pulled down a few more times the cross member is only bolted in, it will be welded when finished.

With the cross member fitted I used threaded rod in the frame alignment hole to pull the cross member in flush against the inner frame rail section.

The rear of the frame and centre were level, the part of the frame where the cab cross member was not, problem?

The frame rail on one side was out of square, soon as I fitted and tightened the treaded rod it levelled this part of the frame again.

I'll fit the front cross member when everything is squared before I shape it .

I will set the frame back at ride height. I'll then run a string line down the centre of the chassis table. I'll square and set the centre cross member once this is done I'll weld the side plates. Its then a matter of squaring the frame with the treaded rod and the string line......

Then the cab and radiator support panel will be trial fitted as well.......
Thomo5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:25 AM   #27
Thomo5150

Some boring stuff tweaking the centre and squaring the frame. It all came together ok except the front passengers rail needed a tweak to get it levelled, Cab can now be fitted and the drivetrain fitted...

My new best friend this and the dimple die is needed to make the rear cradle cross members....

Old 07-01-2013, 06:23 AM   #28
Thomo5150

no words needed for this update..............

Old 07-01-2013, 07:22 AM   #29
walka

Your crazy
Posted via Mobile Device
walka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:21 AM   #30
Thomo5150

So today the question is answered what mods are needed for a Corvette drivetrain into a Chev pickup. Answer 3 custom cross members and a small tunnel mod, that's it........

A 3 to 4 inch high and 5 inch wide tunnel mod needed. Scrapping away the factory body deadener.

The sump has 6 inches of ground clearance no firewall mods needed......

Back of the cylinder head to the firewall.

Sorry for the blurred pic, this shows the low CG the engine and drivetrain will have....

Old 07-04-2013, 06:43 AM   #31
Thomo5150

Starting rear suspension should take a week to do....

Upper control arm mounts 3mm x 50 mm flat bar, ends up 6 mm for the suspension arms...

Start of the suspension cradle mount...

Following pic's are mock ups should get an idea how this will work, tire is a 295 on a 10 1/2 inch rim, room for the 335 I'm going to run

Shock will be centred the cradle is not level in the pic...

Old 07-06-2013, 04:42 AM   #32
Thomo5150

Started on the design, by the end of the day I'd worked out a few changes that I want to do as per steel size and other design idea's. I don't know if you call this the proto type or just a mistake, as I said happy to share problems or rework to improve the concept............

Old 07-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #33
Thomo5150

Found out I need an op on my hand in November so that means 4 months recovery. Decided to bit the bullet and push this quicker, I didn't want to go the easy way but time will beat me if I don't. Working with a guy who will water jet my designs and strength test with solid works......

Centre cross member, all the pieces are keyed so it will be easy to fit and weld with minimal jigs....

Still some tweaking of this design needed.

Old 08-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #34
walka

Very interesting , love it so far
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #35
Thomo5150

Cheer, big changes just rebuilding my workshop ATM, CNC mill added, new Everlast Digital Tig and Everlast plasma cutter on the way. Sold my Business and have planned a year off to finish this truck. I've done a 360 degree turn on the build, from Old Skool to Autocad designed Billet suspension etc. looking forward to the next year and what the result should be.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-30-2013, 01:33 AM   #36
walka

I remember seeing the truck for sale on Ebay
Old 09-19-2013, 04:09 AM   #37
Thomo5150

Quote:
Originally Posted by walka View Post
I remember seeing the truck for sale on Ebay
Yeah the winner never brought it, I came up with the money and got it.

Just finishing a Tube frame for the C20, this will be CNC bent. Final design will happen once the C20 is placed on a new chassis table and the old frame and cab mounts etc are measured. Running these brakes, I have a set of ZR1 brakes that I used on another project which where knocked back by our licence department, so to avoid the drama I've gone C6 ZO6 front and rear. Discs are DBA 5000 2 piece rotors.

Old 09-19-2013, 11:53 PM   #38
walka

Your Own Chassis now Wow, Have you seen this ?
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...-C10-from-Ohio
Old 09-20-2013, 12:20 AM   #39
Thomo5150

Cheers, hadn't seen that build. Have to go custom chassis for the ICV licence. I also had to do a torsion test on the factory frame, lets just say Chevrolet didnt design the chassis for 1g on a skid pad. my engineer wanted extra plates and braces to stiffen the Frame which just made the C20 heavier. I'm measuring the profile of the C20 chassis and using the factory dimensions. You'll notice the tube chassis in the link has straight rails, with mine it tappers in at the front like the factory rails. My design is similar to Mike at SRIII motorsports frames. He built the custom torque tube for the drivetrain. I've also made sure to retain the Corvettes factory suspension points in the design, many don't and though the chassis might look good they don't handle like a Vette. Corvette engineers use staggered tires for built in anti dive. Many set these drivetrains up and don't use the staggered tires then wonder why the don't handle like a Corvette.
Posted via Mobile Device