The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-04-2014, 09:12 AM   #101
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Re: 1974 CCSB build

More or less. There has been a real learning curve trying to keep my employees happy, and getting them to do things how I want them done. Kind of like herding monkeys.

On the truck front, I actually have a bit of progress. The driveshaft has been giving me fits (probably because of the shop I used...). Anyhow, it is all in and happy finally. I was also able to get the trans cooler installation finished up, the truck back on the ground, and the A/C box reinstalled with a new evaporator core and such. I posted it up for sale a week or so ago, and that seemed to get Mama off my back. I don't think it needs to go just yet, though.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:28 AM   #102
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I hope the management position deal works well for you.

There are times when my boss is off and I have to step up to his job. Around here, we call it "being the designated adult". A bunch of firemen can be like a litter of kittens, who have taken meth, and washed it down with coffee. It's crazy how quick they can get you in trouble. I remember one time I got a reprimand from the battalion chief for something one of the guys did while I was boss. The chief is screaming at me and when he got done he asked me what I had to say about it all. "Chief, I just ducked into the bathroom to take a leak. I wasn't gone a full minute. I can't supervise them every second". His answer...."well, you better start having them follow you into the bathroom so you can keep an eye on them".

And they wonder why I never take the test to promote into that position full time.
Old 06-04-2014, 09:36 AM   #103
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
More or less. There has been a real learning curve trying to keep my employees happy, and getting them to do things how I want them done. Kind of like herding monkeys.

On the truck front, I actually have a bit of progress. The driveshaft has been giving me fits (probably because of the shop I used...). Anyhow, it is all in and happy finally. I was also able to get the trans cooler installation finished up, the truck back on the ground, and the A/C box reinstalled with a new evaporator core and such. I posted it up for sale a week or so ago, and that seemed to get Mama off my back. I don't think it needs to go just yet, though.
Details.... Details... please.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 09:40 AM   #104
Low Elco

Uncle Matt was a Shop Manager for a Carstar befro going to the dark side for USAA. Loves it. I got made the boss once. Never. Again. I've had offers. Hard enough to keep track of one idiot.

You're thinking of selling out? Link to ad?
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #105
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Congrats on the promotion. I hope it works out you get to finish the truck.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 10:21 AM   #106
rs72z

I always say managing a bunch of body men is like running a adult daycare center!

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #107
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
Details.... Details... please.
You have had the same luck with the same guys. Third time was the charm, though. I also think my pinion angle is way off, but I can deal with that later. I am going to get it running, and bring it to the shop to pull the bed. I need to get the exhaust done as well, but want to hear it fire first.

Chip, I almost went to work for Texas Farm Bureau. I would have loved to, since the office is right down the street from my house. They are still working on adding a position, but that has been on the back burner for a few years now. I think I made a good move, but the learning curve has been interesting to say the least.

Working on the truck and having everything go right for a change was actually pretty relaxing. Sure wish that happened a lot more often. I don't think I will have to redo much this time, either....
Old 06-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #108
SCOTI

Quote:
You have had the same luck with the same guys. Third time was the charm, though. I also think my pinion angle is way off, but I can deal with that later. I am going to get it running, and bring it to the shop to pull the bed. I need to get the exhaust done as well, but want to hear it fire first.
I just don't get those guys. I'm going to re-do the dually's set-up but concerned where to take it based on my prior experiences.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Old 06-04-2014, 12:58 PM   #109
Low Elco

Man, if you can, aim for USAA. I still can't get over his deal. It's crazy. Plus, his co-workers and boss are all the guys he was go to lunch, and huntin', and drinkin', and ridin' 4-wheelers buddies with when he was the shop manager. It's a horrible life for him. His company car is a full wrap job, so to entertain ourselves, the kids and I have started to call it the "Insurance-Mobile" and invented stories about "Insurance-Man and his Laptop of Justice!" "Righting the evils of Automotive Collision, wherever they may be!"

You have to use the 60's Batman announcer voice when you read that. He just laughs and shakes his head.
Old 06-04-2014, 03:08 PM   #110
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
I just don't get those guys. I'm going to re-do the dually's set-up but concerned where to take it based on my prior experiences.
My buddy Tommy knew of a guy, but he was a little east of Dallas. He said that they were kind of curt with you, but the work was right and the prices were fair. I think I have almost $30 in this d@#n driveshaft already.

Chip, I would jump in a heartbeat for a good deal. This is better than estimator/gofer that I have been doing for years, though.
Old 06-04-2014, 08:32 PM   #111
shippman

Hey Jonboy... which AC relocator kit did you use?

Mike
shippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:52 AM   #112
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Mike, I used the Kwik Performance bracket kit. I bought the compressor and bracket from Vintage Air. Full disclosure- I started gathering the LS parts for my old '74. I had done a TBI swap, but it wasn't 100% what I had hoped. That truck already had VA installed on it, so it seemed like a no brainer. I had to play with the cold air kit I came up with (2000-ish Silverado), but it seems to clear the high mount compressor. I haven't had the chance to try it with the front sheetmetal on, but I am sure there is a ton of room.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:18 AM   #113
shippman

Thanks, Jon... I'll check it out. I am also gathering parts to replace the TBI 350 in my 82 3/4 ton with a 2010 5.3 LS motor.

Are you really backing out of your project?

I notice that we don't live that far apart... maybe we will run into each other. That didn't come out right! But you know DFW traffic.

Later...

Mike
shippman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 11:19 AM   #114
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I put it up for sale, mainly to appease my wife (hence the price). She asked if it was really worth that, to which I replied that it is to me. I am still working on it as much as time will allow, though.

Since you are close, if you get over to my side of the world come over and check it out. I have a ton of notes and such if that will help you with your swap. I will PM my contact info over.
Old 08-09-2014, 11:01 PM   #115
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

It starts and runs! This is huge news (to me, anyhow)! I am still missing a fender and hood, and it has open exhaust, but it starts and runs.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:43 AM   #116
Low Elco

WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO! Congrats, JB! Always a good day!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #117
68Timber
I know the pieces fit

Congrats - looking forward to some pics.

79 2wd Blazer (Bruiser)
85 M1009 Blazer (Sarge) build
74 Honda Z50 build
68Timber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 12:34 PM   #118
SCOTI

Quote:
It starts and runs! This is huge news (to me, anyhow)! I am still missing a fender and hood, and it has open exhaust, but it starts and runs.
Nice!
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 08-11-2014, 07:36 AM   #119
BigMike608

Woo Hoo!
Old 08-18-2014, 12:49 PM   #120
Low Elco

What's happenin'? Didja go to the big bodywork convention in Arlington this weekend? KC was posting on FB he was there shooting for Valspar.
Old 08-18-2014, 03:04 PM   #121
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I wonder what it was. Didn't know anything about it. I can't imagine anything too exciting going on out there, unless it was at Jerry World. I should be shut of my house in Arlington next week, so hopefully all I have to do is pass through after that.
Old 10-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #122
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

I have made some progress, the bed is no longer red. What started out as a project to try to match the patina somewhat turned out good and bad. Good: I really liked the color with a matted clear. Bad: this made me decide to paint the whole truck.

This is probably just as well. After I got teh truck to run, I pulled it out of the garage to clean up. It backed out great; going forward not so much. A guy at work put the trans together, and I am still waiting for him to see what is up. I really hate waiting.
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2014, 07:38 PM   #123
SCOTI

I'm diggin the satin.... looks good from the pic. Have you been flat-bedding it back & forth?
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 10-28-2014, 10:20 PM   #124
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Yeah. AAA has definitely been worth the money. I did get the exhaust done; it is run pretty much just like Clifford was, dumped over the axle. The truck came with some older Flowmasters on it. I told the exhaust guy to see if he could use them. I was going to go Magnaflow, but had a thrifty moment in there. Long story short, it ended up with new Flowmasters. It is probably more in tune with the spirit of the truck, and isn't really obnoxiously loud. They did a nice job of running the pipes, too.

The satin turned out a lot better than I had planned. I had originally planned to try and match the patina, but the color seemed to darken up as it aged. The fresh paint seems a lot brighter. Not sure if the roof will be satin also, or done in either a white diamond or heavy flaked gold. I have a bit to decide; I think the cab will get paint last. One other nice thing about the satin color is it hides flaws also. Since I was going to patina the truck I didn't fix every little bump and block it laser straight. The matted clear hides a ton! I decided to go ahead and paint it right, then do the interior afterwards. All of my weatherstrip is here for the newer doors, and I have enough trim to go ahead and trim the whole truck also. Sounds like a plan, until something else changes.
Old 10-28-2014, 10:23 PM   #125
SCOTI

Cool Vanilla for the roof [/vote].
😆
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG