The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-28-2020, 03:11 PM   #26
truckster

Re: change my own windshield?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeQuarter View Post
I think it’s worth pointing out that there are quite a few posts on this board telling stories about professional windshield installers who just can’t seem to get it right no matter how hard they try. Several members have just walked away from the pros and found another installer or taken matters into their own hands. Even though you’ve transferred the obligation to a 3rd party by hiring a pro, this doesn’t ensure success.
Thus the last part of my post - look for someone who has experience with classic vehicles. Most installers today don't know how to set anything but a urethane set.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:33 PM   #27
ThreeQuarter

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckster View Post
Thus the last part of my post - look for someone who has experience with classic vehicles. Most installers today don't know how to set anything but a urethane set.
Agreed. I think Cory’s guy sounds like someone I would try out. The fact that he has a ratio worked out (7:1) speaks volumes about his experience.
ThreeQuarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 04:53 PM   #28
jamie72

just had a local glass guy come put mine in, i suppied the rubber and the trim, he suppied the glass... done deal 200 bucks. the glass was going to cost me more than that.

member #807

http://www.myspace.com/whitetailobsession
www.antlertalk.com
jamie72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:17 PM   #29
NorCalC20LWB

This may help someone who is searching in their area for a glass company that knows older cars. I didn't have any luck calling actual glass companies, but I called a couple of shops that work on high end classic car builds and ended up getting three recommendations in the area.
NorCalC20LWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:24 PM   #30
phlegm
Still Green but learning

So mixed results. On the way home the bands from the tropical storm started coming in and we had some leakage around the bottom corners. Looks like the seal is a little raised on those, I called them and as expected they said they would correct it.

The other thing is unbeknownst to us the glass guy ordered the glass with the smoke tint across the top. I think it looks good, my son originally said GREAT! I was going to put a a tint across that anyway. Then after the leaking he now is concerned with the bench height it will be an issue. What are your thoughts on that? Smoke or no smoke? I havent driven it but I like the look of it from the outside.
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 01:50 PM   #31
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Quote:
Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
So mixed results. On the way home the bands from the tropical storm started coming in and we had some leakage around the bottom corners. Looks like the seal is a little raised on those, I called them and as expected they said they would correct it.

The other thing is unbeknownst to us the glass guy ordered the glass with the smoke tint across the top. I think it looks good, my son originally said GREAT! I was going to put a a tint across that anyway. Then after the leaking he now is concerned with the bench height it will be an issue. What are your thoughts on that? Smoke or no smoke? I havent driven it but I like the look of it from the outside.

All of the windshields I have purchased and installed in my trucks have been tinted and shaded. Personally, I like them, and they help when driving into the sun. I think you would have to be really tall for the shaded area to be a problem, if that is what you are talking about.

Just my 2¢ worth....

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 02:44 PM   #32
phlegm
Still Green but learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
All of the windshields I have purchased and installed in my trucks have been tinted and shaded. Personally, I like them, and they help when driving into the sun. I think you would have to be really tall for the shaded area to be a problem, if that is what you are talking about.

Just my 2¢ worth....

LockDoc
Thx LD, always value your input!
2010 Acura TL
98 Mastercraft "FrankenStar" 225
27253 UPS/USPS

IIOY....nope never was
phlegm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 03:25 PM   #33
lks dcvn

$100 each installed in a 71 Blazer and a 70 GMC by my local Safelite - I provided the Precision gasket for both windows, which was better than the one they were going to use - they provided the glass/labor. My insurance covers a portion of cracked windshields and has an arrangement with Safelite.

2 guys did it. The new guy called the older gey after he checked it out and said he wanted to help. It didn't matter to me if the price was the same. It took them 3 hours to do both trucks in my driveway.

I watched the videos online and then found out the price for one installed was only $100 - I didn't think twice about making the call for a pro to do it.

No trim in either truck seal though - which seems to play a part in the difficulty.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:04 PM   #34
Ironangel

That leak is common and in many cases is actually not the windshield gasket but the splice in the rain gutter at the top corners of the windshield. The water runs down the A-pillar and pools on the inside below the gasket. Another cause for leaks on a fresh install is bent weld beads (the sharp pinch joint) that locates the gasket. If them things are rusty and bent it makes the new install difficult and can leak. I clean and paint the pinch welds and bend them back straight before installing the glass. Before doing a windshield I always inspect that rain gutter and wont install the glass until the old sealant is removed and the gutter thoroughly wire brushed clean. then the two part self leveling seam sealer applied so no water can enter through that splice. Lots of windshields got blamed for leaks that were rain gutter leaks found after the new glass was installed...
71 C/50 Grain Truck, 350 Split-Axle 4-Speed
02 3/4 ton Express
14 Indian Chief Vintage
1952 Ford 8N, "Only Ford Allowed On The Property"
"Be American, Buy American"
Ironangel is offline   Reply With Quote