The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The pre 1947 Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2016, 12:57 PM   #1
CSHADES

Smile project 39

here is the current truck project I am working on. I bought this truck when I was 11 back in the 70's. I have done some bad things to it before I had a clue to what I should be doing. I have chopped the top 2" and lengthened the cab 6" to gain some interior room. Some of you guys have seen my 40 in the other thread. I love that truck but it couyld use some extra leg room. I also wanted to do something different for a box as you can see. This is some of what have been doing but I have a couple of projects going at the same time so this one may take a while. Let me know what you think.
Attached Images

CSHADES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #2
CSHADES

Re: project 39

Here is some more shots of the truck. The engine is a 1963 Buick 401 with a 200-4R trans. The tail lights are 1955-56 dodge
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2016, 09:31 AM   #3
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

The nailhead was a great choice. Very unique, and not the usual SBC

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 03:44 PM   #4
Advanced Design

Wow, that is a lot of serious metalwork and I like it. Kudos for using the Nailhead and I will be tagging along for the rest of the build.
Advanced Design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:53 PM   #5
CSHADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
The nailhead was a great choice. Very unique, and not the usual SBC
I decided a while ago that i was not going to use sbc any more in my own projects. I still put them in customers cars that want them.
I grew up with pontiacs and buicks. The 401 in this project actually came out of a 225 convertable that my grandpa had on the farm. He made me pay for it but i lucked out and found a guy that wanted the rest of the car for about what i had in the whole thing. I ended up with another 401 that the guy wanted the car off of his property so i got the engine and the junk guy paid me for the rest of the car.
I also have some 326 pontiac engines that i am waiting for the right project to put them in.
Any body else have some good ideas on engines that are different to use in projects?
Old 01-16-2016, 10:57 PM   #6
CSHADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Wow, that is a lot of serious metalwork and I like it. Kudos for using the Nailhead and I will be tagging along for the rest of the build.
Acutally what you are seeing is the 2nd attempt for the box. Which isn't the final outcome i ended up cutting a lot of the 2nd try back off and re doing it because i couldn't get it to stay straight when i was welding it together.
i will post the revised version soon. I have more hours in the box then i have in most of the rest of the build. But i wanted something really different for a box.
Wait until you guys see what i have planned for a 3rd brake light on the box.
Old 01-17-2016, 08:57 AM   #7
Advanced Design

I look forward to seeing the revision CSHADES.

As for your comment about different engines, Diceman is adding a supercharger to his 235 that also has TBI. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=653268

Various Cadillac engines are always interesting for a build or a Buick 455 too.
Old 01-17-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Various Cadillac engines are always interesting for a build or a Buick 455 too.
I agree.

I bought a running 77 Caddy for the motor/trans to put into my 45.
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 11:24 AM   #9
CSHADES

Question Re: project 39

Just to give you guys a peek at what I think I am going to use as a third brake light. I have to figure out how to make it work. The bottom of it is a lantern that is supposed to swing and light up when you hit the brakes. The problem is the swinging part uses a vacuum motor to do that. I have no idea how to rebuild or find someone to rebuild the motor on it. Anybody have any ideas?
Attached Images

Old 01-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #10
Daze57

cshades
that is sooooooo cool --- have you thought about a small motor rebuild shop ?
i had my heater blower motor rebuilt by small motor place here and it workd fine ,
also have you taken it apart carefully to see if you can at least clean it and maybe get it workin?
or maybe find a junkyard that has vacuum controlled headlight lamps --i;e older riviera or charger to use the vacuum unit to power it ---just sayin
once cleaned up i bet that is a awsome lookin piece!
good luck ---keep us informed !
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:16 PM   #11
CSHADES

I have taken it apart just far enough to see that the leather inside that makes up the paddle is worn and dried out. If you look at the picture the light is the top half and the vacuum motor is the bottom half. The motor isn't round it is half round so subbing a electric motor isn't really an option. I have never tried rebuilding a vacuum motor so I don't really know how to find the special parts like the rivets they used or how to take the valving apart and get it back together without destroying it.
Old 01-28-2016, 09:07 PM   #12
Advanced Design

Might be a long shot....perhaps this gentleman can help. http://www.wiperman.com

He rebuilds vacuum operated wiper motors.
Old 01-28-2016, 10:14 PM   #13
CSHADES

I have used the wiper man for vacuum wiper motors before but he isnt interested in other vac motors. I tore this light apart so i will post some pics to show what the motor itself looks like soon.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 PM   #14
Daze57

i was thinkin if there is a shop that rebuilds small motors --- not replacing it with something else ------ it looks like......i think a bit of a cool challenge to try and get this workin . i guess since its a small motor you will need patience to work on it ---dont give up !
i am sure you can fab up some leather and other parts or somethin to make it all work.
i am pullin for you sir !!!
Daze57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 09:25 PM   #15
Boom

what name is on that sweet looking light?
Boom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:18 AM   #16
CSHADES

It is a DUO-SAF light. I found it on ebay and over paid to get it. I have never seen another one for sale.
Old 01-24-2018, 03:00 PM   #17
CSHADES

So now that the workstation and the trunk are finished I decided it was time to get back to this project. I worked on mounting the gas tank last weekend(will post pics soon). I had installed the running boards, brackets and fenders for a trail run a while back. Something did not look right when I stood back, the running boards didn't fit the way they should at the rear of the cab and the front wheels didn't look to be in the same place as the 40's are. I had pulled the rear fenders and box off when I did the gas tank, so I put the box back on so I had my hoist usable again. I raised the truck up and measured the board brackets to make sure I had picked correct ones out of the pile when I put them on. Everything looked good that way. I decided to start at the beginning like I should have, so using the cab as the starting point I put the grille shell on and grabbed a couple of v-bars out of the pile. I went to put the hood on and it doesn't line up. I realized the bar was to long so I went back to the pile and found the correct length one installed it. The grille shell was tipped back to far at this point and I am saying to myself WTF. So I grab a tape measure and start measuring front end parts on the 39 and comparing them to the 40. Then it hit me the frame I used was a 41 but it looked the same. Did a bit of research and the wheel base is 1 1/2" longer on a 41 than a 39-40, so where did they add the 1 1/2"?
Old 01-24-2018, 05:10 PM   #18
CSHADES

So after doing some measuring it appears that the added 1 1/2" is between the firewall and the front frame crossmember. So to make this thing correct I am going to cut the 1 1/2 inches out of the frame and hopefully get everything to line up.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #19
joedoh

I can attest to your finding, I have a 39 cowl support rod and its too short for my 41.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:08 PM   #20
CSHADES

here is some pics of the gas tank install. I pulled the sheetmetal back off and pulled the engine and trans. Shortened the frame to the correct length. So I am back to where I started.
Attached Images

Old 02-16-2018, 06:18 PM   #21
CSHADES

Been working on checking sheetmetal fit and started building one of the doors for the added length
Attached Images

Old 02-19-2018, 11:39 AM   #22
CSHADES

After thinking about it I decided the front fenders that I have sitting on the truck should go back on the truck they belong to, which is my 40.I put glass fenders on that truck because at the time I didn't have the metal working skill or tools that I have now and I also was in a hurry to get the truck on the road. I want to replace the glass fenders with the steel after they are fixed. So I dragged another set out of my storage area and started on them. I bought these fenders at the Frog Follies swap meet back in 2010. I was driving my coupe and had no way of getting them home. My friend Dave from KC was there along with some of his buddies and one of them was nice enough to haul them from the swap meet back to KC and then Dave brought them to WI when he came to visit a couple of months later. They are kind of ugly with a nasty welded up tear on the passenger fender. I mounted them on the truck so they weren't moving around. I made a curved piece of rod and bent a patch to replace the ugly part and welded it in. Both fenders have some other tears and damage that needs to be addressed but the worst part is fixed. I am just glad I was able to buy these as you don't see them for sale very often.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2018, 07:32 PM   #23
CSHADES

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSHADES View Post
Just to give you guys a peek at what I think I am going to use as a third brake light. I have to figure out how to make it work. The bottom of it is a lantern that is supposed to swing and light up when you hit the brakes. The problem is the swinging part uses a vacuum motor to do that. I have no idea how to rebuild or find someone to rebuild the motor on it. Anybody have any ideas?
One of the guys in the shop have been working on a plan to make this light swing the way it is supposed to. What he ended up doing was using a small servo like they use in a RC car. He got it mounted in the top of the light fixture and I took it home over the weekend and figured out the connection from the servo to the paddle inside that was part of the original vacuum motor. I also had to get a bulb and socket to fit in the same area. It was a bit like fitting n10lbs of s#$t in a 5lb bag. It uses a programed controller to do the swing and stops in the center when you remove the signal wire power(brake switch input). I am grateful this guy has the knowledge to get all this to work the way it should. So now I just need to do the mount on the front of the box and then disassemble it for chrome.
Attached Images

Old 03-07-2018, 07:38 PM   #24
CSHADES

here is few more in progress pics. I know it isn't very old school with the electronics but after it is all together I don't think anyone is going to know the difference.
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2018, 02:43 PM   #25
joedoh

old school nothing, I bet it barely worked on the vacuum setup when it was new. super great fix, especially the fender. I have one more 41 in the back and its fenders are in horrid shape, thanks for the detail on the repair!

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote