The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2002, 09:57 PM   #1
KEH
Better late than never

4 Speed Trans, Goodwrench Motor, Classic Air Q's

Hey guys,
I am finally going to put my truck back together after a 9 year break. It's currently down to the bare cab & frame, I've got to make it driveable in the next 30 days.

I would really appreciate any input you all have on the following questions:

- I have a 4 speed trans that I bought many years ago, but now I don't remember what it is. My notes say it is a Muncie, but looking at some pics just posted on this board the levers are in different locations. The big # on the side is GM 6261886. Wish I had a digital camera -- maybe for Christmas...

- I'm going to buy a Goodwrench crate 350 4 bolt main motor tomorrow. Any comments?

- Which a/c system is better: Classic Auto Air, Vintage Air, or Old Air Products?

Thanks for your help,
Ken
Old 12-11-2002, 12:34 AM   #2
toms68cst

Try this link to help ID your tranny. I've got a sm465 in my 68. (Well, actually it's sitting on the floor alongside my truck right now :-( )

http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge...on_gateway.htm

TREASURER, Drum Brake Club.
toms68cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 10:30 AM   #3
jmil1974
Ain't we cute?

Don't know what your budget is for the motor but here goes . . .

The Goodwrench crate usually goes for about $1200 for the longblock I believe. You need to see what known good parts you have and collect them, make a list, price out each one and get an idea of exactly what you'll need. Compare that to the 330HP HO Deluxe (around $3300), it's complete carb to pan and may be a much better deal in the long run than putting together a bunch of old parts and having to replace them in 6 months. So it it's for a similar amount of money, you'll get a new motor with a warranty and have about 90 extra HP. If you have the cash for it, I think it's the way to go. Those little things add up (water pumps, brackets, hoses, bolts, etc.).

I have only heard good things about the vintage air and the old air. I've heard nothing wither way about the Classic one. Then again, I have an underdash unit so what the hell do I know?

30 days is a decent time as long as it's not just 4 weekends, haha.
Good luck!