The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-10-2002, 05:14 PM   #1
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Unhappy Almost Died 'Cause of Peddle

Coming to a stop light today my accelorator got stuck in a hole by the gas peddle in the rubber floor mat. Almost got hit by a bus! The mat is still good except for that hole. So, since I never use the bottom right corner of the gas peddle anyway, I am taking it and rounding it off so it doesn't rub against my HUMP anymore and try to kill me.

Seriously though, I think ol blue is possessed.

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 07:21 AM   #2
Lippyp
English Chevy Owner

I hate having loose mats on ther drivers floor, ever since they caused me to have an accident. About 15 years ago I was working for a company delivering office furniture in London, one morning in traffic in my company van, outside the biggest courtroom in the country my foot/gas pedal got tangled up in a loose mat, couldn't stop when the vehicle in front of me did, ended up rear-ending a small coach full of handicapped kids at a pedestrian crossing. Smashed the radiator back into the fan, which carved a neat hole in the middle of it, wasn't wearing a seat belt so I headbutted the sun visor and nearly bust my nose. Thankfully nobody was hurt (apart from my dignity) had just enough money on me to call the boss, (had only worked there for three months!) buy a doughnut as I hadn't had any breakfast and a pack of ten cigarettes. Had to wait for about three hours with steam rising for the recovery truck. Not my finest hour!

My wife once took her company VW Golf GTi into the dealer because it was losing power, I'd looked at it and couldn't find anything obviously wrong. They sent it back three hours later with a note saying.. "removed mat from under pedal, engine fine!" Still, took them three hours to work it out though so I didn't feel too bad!

Now I won't have loose mats on the drivers side.

'67 C10 long fleet.
350/TH350, 4 bbl Carter, K&N, Dual exhaust, loads of stuff coming soon

2001 S10 Blazer Daily Driver, bone stock 4 door 4x4 with manual transmission
Lippyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 08:30 AM   #3
694X4

Me and a friend of mine used to go to the drag strip for Friday night test and tune and bet $20 on the best times out of three. One night i ran realy well then it was his turn. He ran a terible time on the first one and then on his way back up to the line he came through the pits and slowed down as he came by me rolled the window down and threw his floor mat out. Turns out he had it bunched up under the gas pedal. I wish he didn't find that because he got my $20 that night.

Last edited by 694X4; 12-11-2002 at 08:54 AM.
694X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 09:55 AM   #4
Long Knight
Spank 'em if you got 'em!

Well, I guess this isn't an unusual problem. However, I guess I should have mentioned before that the mat I was talking about is the factory floor mat that covers the entire inside of the cab. Really strange that it pulled out like it did. I've tried to readjust it with no luck. That is why I'm trimming the foot peddle.

I'm just glad I haven't read a reply about somone getting hurt because of a mat!

'71 C-20, 350ci, TH350, Edl. 1406 Carb w/elec.choke, Ignitor ignition, Viper Tires, Orange Dipstick
Long Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 05:06 PM   #5
dwaite72lnghrn

I had the same trouble before. When I drove it I always use the bottom of the gas pedal no problem but when my wife or kids started it they would pump the pedal from the top and jam it in the hole. After a few starts at 6000rpm I cut the mat so it would not hangup again.
71 GMC k20 350/sm465
2009 Chevy hd3500 6.6 Victory Red crew cab dually
Dave & Jeanne
dwaite72lnghrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2002, 07:39 PM   #6
crazy longhorn
Fabricate till you "puke"

my little bro planted the fan , pulley, & wp hub into the rad on my71......6500 rpm shift, & the mat hung the peddle! But on the up side he was winnin the race......
69 longhorn,4" chop,3/5 drop, 1/2 ton suspension/disc brakes,1 1/2" body drop,steel tilt clip, 5.3/Edelbrock rpm intake/600 carb, Hooker streetrod shorties,2 1/2" exhaust/ H pipe/50's Flows , 6 spd Richmond trans,12 bolt/ 3.40 gears....
crazy longhorn is offline   Reply With Quote