The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
GMCNUT

Single Wall Top Seals?

Hey guys - need some advice about top seals - the Blazer I bought from board member JQ-72 has never had the single wall top on it during the 15 yrs or so he's owned it - the top has just sat unused as he only drove it on bright sunny days. I assume the top seals need to be replaced but I have bought enough new rubber for other makes and models to know some don't fit and some are poor quality, wrong cut etc. So need to know what brand and source you recommend short of anyone on here hoarding any NOS top seals I can buy.

Also as a side bar, need to know what brand any of you used and liked for windshield rubber when installing an aftermarket windshield - Thanks, Steve
1961 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 283 V8 & Powerglide w/ uber-rare Cool-Pack A/C, factory PB, deluxe heat, Clock
1961 GMC K1000 4x4 SWB w/ BBW, Custom Cab and numbers matching 305D V6 engine & 4 spd
1960 GMC SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 305A V6 & Hydramatic, factory PB, Clock, Tach, Compass, Hood Jet
1959 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab w/ rare stainless bed trim, #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, Deluxe Heat, radio, spotlight
1958 Chevy Cameo #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, radio, window washers, Factory PB
1958 GMC BBW SWB Fleetside Custom Cab, #'s matching 336 V8 Hydramatic, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Deluxe Heat & Hood Jet
1957 GMC Suburban Pickup (GMC's Cameo) #'s matching 347 V8 Hydramatic, uber-rare vacuum ashtray, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Hood Jet
1956 Chevy 3800 1 ton w/ rare 9 ft stepside bed, factory 265 V8 w/ Hydramatic, factory PB, Custom Cab, deluxe heat, spotlight and hood jet.
GMCNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:56 AM   #2
lks dcvn

Re: Single Wall Top Seals?

I have always heard great things about Precision for windshield seals - https://www.prp.com/

There was another company (Steele Rubber) who made a good fitting windshield gasket - taken from this build thread. I haven't looked to see if there is a price difference between these guys and Precision though.

Edit - just checked pricing

- Non-trim windshield gasket - $65 at Precision / $92.20 at Steele Rubber
- w/ trim windshield gasket - 73.46 at Precision / $100.80 at Steele Rubber

Steele Rubber link = https://www.steelerubber.com/search?...-sport-utility

I believe the top seals are different for single/double wall tops so be sure to confirm if you start looking to buy NOS stuff.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 08:16 PM   #3
GMCNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by lks dcvn View Post
I have always heard great things about Precision for windshield seals - https://www.prp.com/

There was another company (Steele Rubber) who made a good fitting windshield gasket - taken from this build thread. I haven't looked to see if there is a price difference between these guys and Precision though.

Edit - just checked pricing

- Non-trim windshield gasket - $65 at Precision / $92.20 at Steele Rubber
- w/ trim windshield gasket - 73.46 at Precision / $100.80 at Steele Rubber

Steele Rubber link = https://www.steelerubber.com/search?...-sport-utility

I believe the top seals are different for single/double wall tops so be sure to confirm if you start looking to buy NOS stuff.
Thank you! we've had poor luck with Precision on 55-66 trucks, and Steele generally makes stuff closer to spec so I'll poke around about NOS options first, then go with Steele
1961 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 283 V8 & Powerglide w/ uber-rare Cool-Pack A/C, factory PB, deluxe heat, Clock
1961 GMC K1000 4x4 SWB w/ BBW, Custom Cab and numbers matching 305D V6 engine & 4 spd
1960 GMC SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab #'s matching 305A V6 & Hydramatic, factory PB, Clock, Tach, Compass, Hood Jet
1959 Chevy SWB Fleetside BBW Custom Cab w/ rare stainless bed trim, #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, Deluxe Heat, radio, spotlight
1958 Chevy Cameo #'s matching 283 V8 & Hydramatic, radio, window washers, Factory PB
1958 GMC BBW SWB Fleetside Custom Cab, #'s matching 336 V8 Hydramatic, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Deluxe Heat & Hood Jet
1957 GMC Suburban Pickup (GMC's Cameo) #'s matching 347 V8 Hydramatic, uber-rare vacuum ashtray, Factory PS, PB, Clock, RSD, Hood Jet
1956 Chevy 3800 1 ton w/ rare 9 ft stepside bed, factory 265 V8 w/ Hydramatic, factory PB, Custom Cab, deluxe heat, spotlight and hood jet.
Old 12-24-2018, 06:21 AM   #4
GMCPaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCNUT View Post
Thank you! we've had poor luck with Precision on 55-66 trucks, and Steele generally makes stuff closer to spec so I'll poke around about NOS options first, then go with Steele
Steele rubber sells Precision Brand seals for the windshields and rear windows, vent seals and other various seals on the 47-72 model series trucks. The Blazer uses the same seal for windshield as the trucks. The main thing they make for the 67-72 in house is a door seal for truck not Blazer though, they do make the Blazer single wall top 1/4 window seals though but if you shop around you'll find them for a better price than Steele, they are currently the only manufacturer of the single wall top 1/4 window seal so anyone carrying it will have the Steele brand seal for them.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 09:59 AM   #5
lks dcvn

This is good insight! Thanks GMCPaul.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:51 AM   #6
GMCNUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCPaul View Post
Steele rubber sells Precision Brand seals for the windshields and rear windows, vent seals and other various seals on the 47-72 model series trucks. The Blazer uses the same seal for windshield as the trucks. The main thing they make for the 67-72 in house is a door seal for truck not Blazer though, they do make the Blazer single wall top 1/4 window seals though but if you shop around you'll find them for a better price than Steele, they are currently the only manufacturer of the single wall top 1/4 window seal so anyone carrying it will have the Steele brand seal for them.
Paul Jr @ GMCPauls
Thank you for that info - so what about Blazer top-to-truck seals? you know anything about those and whats what with manufacturers, fitment etc?
Old 12-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #7
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

The Precision windshield gasket has worked well for me on a k10 I had.

Word of caution: do not waste time and money with repro windshield trim. It won’t work. Polish up oem Trim.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote