The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Paint & Bodywork > Detailing

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-03-2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Ole87

What do you use / do to clean.....

What do you guys use to clean your buffer pads, rags, waxing cloths etc? Or is it a use it and throw away?
Ole87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Ole87

Re: What do you use / do to clean.....

Nobody washes and reuses their detail materials and cloths? I was just curious. I didn't want to feel the wrath from the lady of the house when I go to throw them in our washer and dryer!! Or maybe what she doesn't know doesn't hurt right?
Ole87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
kaycee

yep throw them in the washer when shes gone ,I usually just air dry them after
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 10:23 PM   #4
Wikid61
Post Whore

Soak the really caked build up ones. I add a couple dozen golfballs to agitate the load.
Wikid61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #5
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Red shop rags - Soak in a bucket of hot water with dawn overnight. Agitate when I think about it. If really greasy, will drain and resoak for another day.

Microfiber - if they get any type of metal or leaves (we have oak trees and those leaves are like armor), I toss them. Our washing machine has a soak cycle. I add some zote (bar laundry soap) and use a knife to cut off some flakes. Add in a Wisk "pack" (those little plastic balls of cleaner) and let soak for two hours. Usually come out pretty clean.

Note on Zote - I tried this a few months ago and this is really great laundry soap. It's just different, because it comes as a bar and your supposed to run it across stains. I prefer to use a knife and peel off small flakes. My clothes have never been cleaner and leaves a nice "lemon" scent. I picked it up at Walmart.

100% Cotton towels - I have some 100% cotton towels from Zaino that is use only for vehicle polishing. On these, I only use liquid detergent and dry with no fabric softener. I keep them in plastic bags in the garage for ultimate protection.

For towels that have some really tough stains, I use Ritz Brightener and Whitener. I'll take a bucket, add the whitener and boil water on the stove. Add it. Let it site overnight. Then dump it into the washing machine, let it add more water and go through the cycle. Very good for stains on colors or whites. For whites only, they have a "white wash" product that is very good. As well, have a stain remover which works very well.

The "brightener and whitener" is also very good for soaking nasty seatbelts in, to get them really clean. I can't even tell you how effective it was on a set of parchment seatbelts I'm restoring.

Oxy [clean] or whatever word you happen to see. I've had absolutely no luck with anything that says "Oxy" on the label. I wouldn't even say it's as effective as just plain unbranded detergent.

Hope that helps.
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
TheBlueBomber

I use for the most part Bruthaman's method. Works well for me. Those microfibers are a pain to get leaves and what not out of.

1979 Chevrolet K10 Scottsdale - Carolina K10 -

My 4.8L Twin turbo build - Project Short Stroke -

Instagram - TheBlueBomber1996
TheBlueBomber is offline   Reply With Quote