The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2022, 10:09 PM   #1
ProjectHarold72

72 Power Steering Pump Help Needed

So like many others that have purchased the older C10's from someone else, mind came with a box of parts. One was this original style power steering pump. Hell it may be the original one for all I know. I have a 72 Cheyenne Super with the 400. While I'm upgrading a lot of the front end, I'm also wanting to install the parts that aren't on it already. I'm struggling to find 2 things for the one I have. I searched through the steering posts and quite didn't find what I was looking for.

I have new hoses but I don't know what connects this part highlighted. I also have A/C on this truck and from what I've seen, those with AC should have 2 belt pulleys and mine one only has 1. Am I missing something obvious? If you also happen to know which bolts to use for the bracket into the block, that would be a huge help. First time working on these classic trucks and it feels at times that I'm trying to find my way in a dark room.

I have also seen a pic of this pump with a separate reservoir. I do not have one of those in the parts pile so is that possibly to just get that or should I just look to buy a completely different set? Thanks in advance for the noob questions.
Attached Images

ProjectHarold72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:25 PM   #2
Jason Banks

Re: 72 Power Steering Pump Help Needed

Look at the pictures posted in this link....

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=677706

Your truck must be a big block and that is where the hose going to the power steering reservoir goes.
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:28 PM   #3
Jason Banks

Here another link where you can check pictures. There are a couple variations of where the reservoir mounts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=big+...&tbm=isch&sa=X
Jason Banks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:32 PM   #4
ProjectHarold72

Thumbs up Re: 72 Power Steering Pump Help Needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
Here another link where you can check pictures. There are a couple variations of where the reservoir mounts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=big+...&tbm=isch&sa=X
These are awesome resources. Thank you very much Jason for the quick assist. Huge help!!!
Old 07-27-2022, 10:51 PM   #5
mr.mud1

that is a big block pump,as mentioned.a 3/4 hose hose from your power steering reservoir attaches to the pump,the remote reservoir bolts to the fender and is needed as there's no room under the alternator for the neck with a cap on the pump to pour in fluid like a small block pump.don't use heater hose,it'll leak.you need the correct hose or hydraulic hose that will live with oil.the 2 large holes in the front of the pump bracket are for a socket to reach through and get at the bolts that attach the mount bracket to the front of the block.i'll have to look at mine tomorrow to be sure but i think they're 7/16's coarse thread,an 1 1/4 long or so.if not 7/16's,they'll be 3/8's.take care.Greg
Attached Images

mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 10:55 PM   #6
franken

The Chevy Astrovans used a remote res. if that helps.
franken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 11:24 PM   #7
ProjectHarold72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
that is a big block pump,as mentioned.a 3/4 hose hose from your power steering reservoir attaches to the pump,the remote reservoir bolts to the fender and is needed as there's no room under the alternator for the neck with a cap on the pump to pour in fluid like a small block pump.don't use heater hose,it'll leak.you need the correct hose or hydraulic hose that will live with oil.the 2 large holes in the front of the pump bracket are for a socket to reach through and get at the bolts that attach the mount bracket to the front of the block.i'll have to look at mine tomorrow to be sure but i think they're 7/16's coarse thread,an 1 1/4 long or so.if not 7/16's,they'll be 3/8's.take care.Greg
These are awesome pics and information. Thank you Greg and I appreciate you checking out the bolts as well. I see by the pics that I may be missing a part of the bracket so I'll have to see if that is in one of the totes. These are a huge help.
Old 07-27-2022, 11:24 PM   #8
ProjectHarold72

Quote:
Originally Posted by franken View Post
The Chevy Astrovans used a remote res. if that helps.
Thank you very much. I appreciate that. It may be an option if I run into a snag.
Old 07-28-2022, 08:13 AM   #9
MARKDTN

You need hydraulic suction hose. Probably get a piece on Ebay or a local hydraulic hose shop.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 08:24 AM   #10
mr.mud1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectHarold72 View Post
These are awesome pics and information. Thank you Greg and I appreciate you checking out the bolts as well. I see by the pics that I may be missing a part of the bracket so I'll have to see if that is in one of the totes. These are a huge help.
hi Harold,i checked my pump this morning.the bolts that go into the front of the block are 3/8's coarse thread and not long,maybe an inch and a quarter.there's a bottom to the hole they thread into so too long is no good.holler if you need any help.Greg
mr.mud1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 09:40 PM   #11
ProjectHarold72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.mud1 View Post
hi Harold,i checked my pump this morning.the bolts that go into the front of the block are 3/8's coarse thread and not long,maybe an inch and a quarter.there's a bottom to the hole they thread into so too long is no good.holler if you need any help.Greg
Greg, thank you so much for taking the time to check and share. Really appreciate that. Now to hit up the hardware store. :-)
Old 07-28-2022, 11:08 PM   #12
Mike C

The 68-72 truck power steering setup is the same as a 65-68 Chevelle big block cars if you are looking to order parts. Also, square body trucks with hydroboost in the mid 80’s have remote ps reservoirs also. There isn’t really any suction on the reservoir, just a gravity feed. But getting hose rated for oil rather that heater hose is the best idea.
68 Camaro 'vert LT1 & TH700
69 Z/28 355 12.6's @110
69 Chevy Short Step 4 1/2"/7" drop
72 Jimmy 4WD 4spd 4" & 35's
02 GMC 2500HD 4x4 Duramax
Mike C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 11:26 PM   #13
70cst

I just purchased this ... they also sell the reservoir.
Attached Images

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote