The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-19-2013, 08:17 PM   #201
tpimuncie

Re: Dug's 1959 Fleetside

all i can say is WOW!! AWESOME WORK!
tpimuncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 03:18 PM   #202
dug224

Thanks guys. Pulled the trigger on a new welder. Wanted to get the Millermatic 211 but could not justify the cost. Ended up getting an Eastwood 220 Volt MIG. Comes with a spoolgun and free shipping for $499. All the reviews I read were good so we'll see. Also, bought a 100' 8/3 extension cord off of Craigslist for $60.

I got the final portion of the trans tunnel bent and welded in. I have decided on the final location of the e-brake so, time permitting, it may get installed tomorrow. Decided to use the factory piece it mounts to that I got out of the donor and simply weld tabs to it so I can bolt it in place. It will be an inch or so off the floor to clear the rear floor beam. I intend to install the tabs under the unit so they are out of the way of the carpet, etc. Helps with installing the cables to have it removable. The cables will exit thru the wall in the back of the cab. Had to cut and reweld the floor in three places to relieve some of the floor warpage/dents and get it to meet up with my tunnel piece. I keep having to remind myself that all this stuff will be under paint, dynamat, carpet and, in some cases, the center console.
Attached Images

dug224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #203
Kim57

The trans tunnel came out nice.
Kim
Old 03-31-2013, 05:36 PM   #204
dug224

E-brake is in. Ended up welding bolts to the floor and using nuts to hold it down. Logistically, I can install the handle and cable in the bracket then mount the assembly to the floor. May put a plate under the cab to stiffen the floor at the front mounting bolts. Handle location looks pretty good and feels like it could have been a factory location......dug
Attached Images

Old 03-31-2013, 08:46 PM   #205
Kim57

That came out nice.
Kim
Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #206
OrrieG

Looks right at home with the seats. Nice job.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #207
dug224

More e-brake stuff. Drilled the back of the cab and routed the cables thru the wall in order to see if the e-brake actually works. It does. Holes will get grommets. The plan worked pretty good. Connect the cables with the unit loose and upside down. Fortunately, the brake mechanism allows you to flip a switch and pull the cable out in order to reach the cables from the wheels. Once you get it back in, flip the switch back and it ratchets into place. You can see I have decent clearance between the brake handle and the shifter when in Drive.

Cab comes off next and I replace passenger floor, both steps and both cab corners. dug
Attached Images

Old 04-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #208
dug224

My new best friend arrived from Eastwood. Dramatic improvement in performance over the old MIG I was using. Bought a H.F. cart to hold it up. Also, got an old metal table from a buddy of mine that will soon be my welding table. Will remove the old rusted and bent top and replace with an angle iron frame supporting a new 24" x 60" piece of plate. Debating 3/16" -vs- 1/4".

Finally found a use for the 2x12 flitch beam I cut out of the front of my house several years ago when I added a porch. Made a stand for the cab complete with casters robbed from a furniture dolly. The cab is sitting on its mounting points so it does not even know it is off the frame.

Got the driver step removed. The truck manual I bought early in the project really helps identify the spot weld locations and quantities. Driver cab corner is next. Used some old spot weld cutters a bought a few years ago. Drilled a small pilot hole to keep it centered and kept the oil on it to keep it cool. Worked perfectly. The guy on the spot welder was definitely drunk back in 1959. The leading edge of the step had enough rust to make those spot welds disappear. Went ahead and cut the step at the leading edge. I will figure out how to remove that portion of the step later. A little more trimming is required before it fits. Note the step came pre-dented. dug
Attached Images

Old 04-07-2013, 10:35 AM   #209
Kim57

Neat stuff.
Kim
Old 04-07-2013, 02:02 PM   #210
OrrieG

Not a ratrod, just an old unrestored exterior truck. Rat rodders go out of their way to make things look, well, ratty. Nothing wrong with good honest wear and tear as long as its safe.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:43 PM   #211
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Not a ratrod, just an old unrestored exterior truck. Rat rodders go out of their way to make things look, well, ratty. Nothing wrong with good honest wear and tear as long as its safe.
OrrieG...After reading dubies thread today, I believe you meant to send this one to him.....and, I agree with your statement. ...dug
Old 04-08-2013, 02:17 PM   #212
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by dug224 View Post
My new best friend arrived
i'm hurt... i thought we were your bff

have fun with your new welder.
with floors, steps and rockers ordered you two will be intimate soon enough
what is your parking brake lever out of?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #213
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Ogre View Post
i'm hurt... i thought we were your bff

have fun with your new welder.
with floors, steps and rockers ordered you two will be intimate soon enough
what is your parking brake lever out of?
Lever came out of the Buick Ranier (same vehicle as the Trailblazer) that I had in the driveway a few months ago. Tried to get the trans tunnel out of it before it hit the crusher. Tunnel did not work out. Managed to get and use the steering column, pedal assembly and the e-brake.
Old 04-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #214
dug224

Got distracted by the welding table. Built a new frame for the top and welded down the top plate. Mounted the one of my Dad's old vices. Used up some old spray paint to further the rust proofing. The Eastwood 185 performed flawlessly.

Also, cleaned up the driver step mounting points and fitted the new step. Removed an old bracket off the old step and will spot weld it on the new one after I get the hang of the antique spot welder I inherited. The spot blaster really came in handy cleaning up the hard to reach corners and the center step riser bracket. Note that the new step comes with vertical flanges to front and back rather than the horizontal flanges on the old. You can see that the floor has a bow (down) to it. Bolted a bracket to one of my seat mounting nuts and slipped a very large crow bar through it. A slight pry up took the bow out and the step slipped right in. It is still not quite seated yet. The bottom needs to move in about 1/4".
Attached Images

Old 04-17-2013, 08:54 PM   #215
dug224

Link to the driver door lower hinge brace repair message board thread for future reference.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...92#post6018392
Old 04-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #216
dug224

So....driver door hinge support is complete. Now onto getting the door straight in the cab followed by finalizing the location of the driver step. The bad news is that the door lines up in the cab worse than expected but just about like it was when I got it. The portions of the door that rub on the cab still rub. Big gap at the bottom rear and no gap at the top front. May get better as I get the step in place and refine the adjustment of the hinges. This door was not original to the truck so this may add to the fun. I suspect I will be trimming some of the edges and adding material others.
Attached Images

Old 04-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #217
Kim57

You're learning what countless others have about these trucks. the doors fit terrible.
It takes hours to get the gaps right. I had to add in some places and remove in others.
It's worth it in the end.
Kim
Old 08-14-2013, 10:21 AM   #218
dug224

Delay of game...Had to stop the truck because I have an opportunity to build new shop......the only catch is that I have to build a new house as well. Working on the design and will try to work in the construction between hurricane seasons. Truck build will restart as soon as possible after the house build. dug
Attached Images
File Type: pdf OB PLOT 8-13.pdf (24.7 KB, 216 views)
Old 08-14-2013, 10:54 AM   #219
ricott

Glad to see you updated. Good luck with the house on the Water. It looks like it will be at 8' elevation, so I am assuming it will be on 8 foot piers? I have been in remodel h*!!for the last 7 months, and on the road a lot, so my truck (and the corvette) have just been sitting. The good news the last of the project should be completed by the end of this month, and then I have time to work on the truck or the 58. Keep us updated with pictures of the home construction (we like all kinds of projects !).

Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:53 PM   #220
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
Glad to see you updated. Good luck with the house on the Water. It looks like it will be at 8' elevation, so I am assuming it will be on 8 foot piers? I have been in remodel h*!!for the last 7 months, and on the road a lot, so my truck (and the corvette) have just been sitting. The good news the last of the project should be completed by the end of this month, and then I have time to work on the truck or the 58. Keep us updated with pictures of the home construction (we like all kinds of projects !).

Ricky
Bottom finished floor elevation to be 2' above flood Zone "AE" elevation 6' which puts me at 8' which makes it insurable. Shop will be at the same elevation. The main floor to be about 12' above grade which makes for a great view. House will be done in phases so I can afford it...maybe. Come 8 March 2014, I will able to dedicate all my waking hours to the house and truck. Hang in there on your renovation...Dug
Old 10-02-2013, 11:41 PM   #221
waybad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim57 View Post
You're learning what countless others have about these trucks. the doors fit terrible.
It takes hours to get the gaps right. I had to add in some places and remove in others.
It's worth it in the end.
Kim
you sir are CORRECT!!!!
my doors probably fit better on a F%rD truck than they do on mine.. urgh..
this is a great build,, can't believe I never saw it!! good luck with the house,, don't forget about the truck>> LOL
waybad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 08:58 PM   #222
ricott

I know you said you were waiting until after hurricane season to start on the house. With what is now brewing, and the projected landfall, hope you haven't started. Take care. Ricky
ricott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 07:29 AM   #223
dug224

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricott View Post
I know you said you were waiting until after hurricane season to start on the house. With what is now brewing, and the projected landfall, hope you haven't started. Take care. Ricky
Nope..just a rain event. The house is still under design. Met with insurance guy yesterday and will meet with the City of Orange Beach today. Flood plain discussions... Slight redesign may be in order to achieve a rating of "Fortified" construction. Fortified helps keep insurance rates down.

I have managed to add a SKAT BLAST Bead Blast Cabinet to my lineup. Sure could have used this early on. Can't wait to get back to it. Dug
Attached Images

Old 10-11-2013, 02:35 PM   #224
_Ogre

not sure what i'd want to fight, hurricanes and flooding or snow.
i know when the snow melts my house will still be here
i just really hate snow any more

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 PM   #225
SCHRUMGMC

Updates???