The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-10-2022, 12:02 PM   #1
FRCvette

Storage in bed

I have my 67 step side to where I feel it is ready to travel. We are planning several long trips this summer. My wife likes to pack a lot of stuff when we travel. I am looking at buying a deezee tool box to place in the bed. I just do not want it to stick above bed sides but having a problem finding one. Lets see what you guys done for luggage storage. Need something that will be safe left unattended for short periods of time.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:09 PM   #2
kwmech

Re: Storage in bed

Small travel trailer?? The bed sides are what like 20'' above the floor? In reality I am finding it hard to leave anything unattended now-a-days
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 12:22 PM   #3
FRCvette

Top of bedside is 17.5" above stainless strips.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
Old 05-10-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
Caddylackn

I would get one of those Knack construction site job boxes and bolt it to the bed.
It would protrude some above the bed but I don't think that is a bad thing. If somebody tries to break it open it will be obvious what they are doing to anyone that passes. These type of job boxes do a good job of hiding the lock so it can't be cut.

I would also consider adding a car alarm with a motion detention sensor, but turning down the sensitivity so it would only go off is somebody is in the bed or rocking the truck trying to pry this open.

No type of container is safe anymore, now that the thieves carry battery powered grinders with cutting wheels. What they don't want to do is be there 10 - 20 minutes trying to cut something open with a loud tool. If they can't cut it open in a minute, they will probably move on to the next mark. These job boxes are pretty hard and time consuming to cut open
Old 05-10-2022, 03:39 PM   #5
Richard

Maybe a hard lid like I put on my truck? https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...31&postcount=3
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 04:39 PM   #6
FRCvette

That looks good on a fleet side truck I have one on my silverado but I don't like the hangover on a step side bed. Makes it look too bulky in my opinion.
I called Pro's pick for price on there flush mount cover. More than I want to spend at $2000 dollars then shipping from Canada. Then paint after that. Whew!

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
Old 05-11-2022, 01:32 PM   #7
notsolo

I have seen some nice slide out drawers, custom made. Would be an interesting project, lock the tailgate it would be hard to remove. For the weather proof cover a 4 x 8 sheet of cellular Pvc, 1/2" sheet runs about $120 $140 at Home depot.
Attached Images

notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2022, 10:20 PM   #8
Overdriven

Google/Amazon “diamond plate tool box” and you’ll find various sizes and prices, including ones that’ll fit in the bed. Any of these boxes will take a little more time than most thieves are probably willing to spend and you can always add more locks externally if desired.

It’s not as secure (if I actually added locks) but I like the look of the wood army foot locker in my truck. Depends on your truck and tastes.
Attached Images

Old 05-13-2022, 12:48 AM   #9
wild4wheels

I recently saw a really cool idea in a K5 at Goodguys- its was an underbody toolbox by either Buyers or RKI- commercial, locking, weatherproof(?) and can be ordered in several heights, depths and lengths. He had bolted to the floor where his spare tire bracket originally was. His was an 18" x18" x18"- I am looking at a 12"x14"x40"

Current truck
"Ida Mae" 71 K5 Blazer

Former Trucks
"Loretta" 71 Longbed (AZ)
"Tanya" 69 Stepside (AZ)
"Ferdinand" 71 Longhorn (SD)
"Patches" 67 Panel (IA/ KY)
"Rosita" 68 C30 (KY)

Instagram @Wildforwheels @k5_klub @c10university

Profile pic provided by Jeff Sundance
wild4wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 02:08 AM   #10
Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRCvette View Post
That looks good on a fleet side truck I have one on my silverado but I don't like the hangover on a step side bed. Makes it look too bulky in my opinion.
I called Pro's pick for price on there flush mount cover. More than I want to spend at $2000 dollars then shipping from Canada. Then paint after that. Whew!
To me does not look bad. https://gaylordslids.com/product/195...5-truck-cover/
Already at around $800+ if looking at Knaack boxes.
The flush mount covers leak. Good for a show truck or clear weather driver only.
Old 05-13-2022, 07:09 AM   #11
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

The "trunk" for my old trucks. Not this year group, but this was in my 81 stepside (and many trucks before that).
Attached Images

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 07:58 AM   #12
Jason Banks

I've been following this thread and didn't think of it until now. There is a local sheetmetal shop that will build a box in any size you want. I got some diamond plate aluminum boxes made that were about 10ft long to conceal some electrical equipment in a retail store. The price was not bad at all.

You might check around for a sheet metal shop to custom make exactly what you want.
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2022, 01:42 PM   #13
68panelman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
The "trunk" for my old trucks. Not this year group, but this was in my 81 stepside (and many trucks before that).
I have this exact one in my 67 step side, even holds my large cooler, perfectly for shows. I was lazy and just screwed it into bed planks.
68panelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 02:42 AM   #14
psxpak

I agree with a knaack or a more affordable rigid job box. they will keep people out. If you cut the fork lift legs off it would probably sit lower than the bed sides. maybe
psxpak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 05:08 PM   #15
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68panelman View Post
......... I was lazy and just screwed it into bed planks.
Same here

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 02:56 AM   #16
'68OrangeSunshine

Here's how it was done when these trucks were new:
Attached Images

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.
'68OrangeSunshine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2022, 04:54 AM   #17
Richard

IMO a locked box in the back of a truck states there is something valuable in here, especially if it is a toolbox like the Knaack or Rigid with a name on it. In these times it is almost asking for someone to break in.
Old 05-15-2022, 03:31 PM   #18
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard View Post
IMO a locked box in the back of a truck states there is something valuable in here, especially if it is a toolbox like the Knaack or Rigid with a name on it. In these times it is almost asking for someone to break in.
Nothing can keep out the Pros. But you can try to keep out amateurs and crackheads, and not tempt honest folks. After 48 years, I changed the locks on my in-bed toolbox from state-of-the-art-1968 security locks to CocaCola machine type locks.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:42 PM   #19
justKIDn

I built a carrier that slipped into the hitch receiver of the wife's Yukon to which I bolted a large aluminum DEEZEE type toolbox. Kids in the Yukon and luggage in the "box" although sometimes we wanted to switch that around. I put one of those LED, under the tailgate, truck lightbars on the back, that plugs into the trailer light receptacle. I built that in 2000, it's been on the back of our 2 Yukons, my pick ups, my mom's Tahoe as well as my daughter's, not to mention all of our friends' rides who've borrowed it. It's weather tight, lockable, and easy to put on and take off. It's in storage right now, but I'll try to find some pictures.
justKIDn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 06:49 AM   #20
LT7A

Quote:
Kids in the Yukon and luggage in the "box" although sometimes we wanted to switch that around.
Haha!

This kinda got my imagination working. Some great ideas here. Whatever you get, I assume that you are going to unpack it for the night if you stay in a hotel, in which case I'd recommend that you leave it open. Which means you'll need to fasten it in such a way it can't just be unbolted or somebody will steal the box! I like the idea of building something out of aluminum sheet and aluminum flat bar/angle. You could make it the exact size you want and bolt it together. I agree with the above thought that really, unfortunately, all you're trying to do is make it hard enough that they go on to somebody else's vehicle. Sad state of affairs. But I think building an exoskeleton of flat bar and angle where they can see they are going to have to spend several minutes there with a grinder, would make them move on. You could even get it welded up when you're done if you want. I think an exoskeleton with a sheet metal enclosure and heavy duty fasteners would give you a fighting chance. The job site box is going to attract attention but probably be the strongest of the options mentioned. If I made my own box, I would get a professionally printed label that said something like "EVER-TOUGH -- grinder resistant" and put it right by the locks. How do they know? Or spray with a matte finish warm gray sealer, and put big stickers on it that say TITANIUM. Anyway, good luck, I hope you have a good trip.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2022, 10:02 AM   #21
stepsider

Talking Re: Storage in bed

I have a 72 step side been looking @ Amazon for Diamond plate tool boxes. Going with 48x15x15. Mainly to carry lawn chairs and a few other car shows items. I don't plan to lock it since I rarely leave it unattended And it alway parked in the garage. I figure more destruction if locked and I'm not around. Mine a pleasure truck not a work truck. IMO I think a work truck has more of a chance for break in, damage and tool lost than a pleasure truck. Just my opinion.
stepsider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 11:30 AM   #22
RichardJ

Not a below the bed sides solution, but you can have a little hidden fun with a box.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2022, 05:54 PM   #23
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Not a below the bed sides solution, but you can have a little hidden fun with a box.
That is cool. Quite the flair.
I've put 2'' white Scotchbrite reflector tape on the inside ends of my doors -- so at night oncoming drivers will see I'm opening it and [I'm hoping] not clip my door off. Also upper liftgate hatches on Suburban and Jimmy. And triangle ends on my 20'' toolbox.
Maybe big Xs on those inside toolbox doors...

Old 05-18-2022, 08:12 AM   #24
FRCvette

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. Gives me a lot to think about.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb