The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-16-2011, 04:02 PM   #726
watahyahknow

Re: Project: Recycle

hmm the LS swap would bring the fuelconsumption down a bit and you might be able to find a donortruck with a 4L80E in it (definetely the cheapest way as you got all the widgets and dodah's needed to make that engine happy in youre truck )

on the other hand : a new gasket is cheaper and faster

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts

Last edited by watahyahknow; 06-16-2011 at 04:03 PM.
watahyahknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:50 PM   #727
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolife99 View Post
What's the plan?
Fix it or start an LS swap.
I didn't want to do the LS swap until the 64 was driving. This puts me in a bind....

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow
hmm the LS swap would bring the fuelconsumption down a bit and you might be able to find a donortruck with a 4L80E in it (definetely the cheapest way as you got all the widgets and dodah's needed to make that engine happy in youre truck )

on the other hand : a new gasket is cheaper and faster
The 6.0 I already have has a 4l80e attached.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-16-2011 at 04:52 PM.
SCOTI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:11 PM   #728
watahyahknow

that makes things a little eazier most of the transmission wiring is allready there and needs to be hooked up to the LS computer

i had a link a while back of a bolt in enginerubber kit to put a LS engine intoo this truck

i'd just put new gaskets in this engine flush everything out replace the filters and keep driving it untill the 64 is running , that way you can have the future buyer test the 454 engine in the truck before taking it out and get more for it to put intoo the LS engine changeover budget besides you need youre transport right now

idea's for the trucks and the order of things to do are taking shape and get closer to being realized , a few more months and i be able to start building for real

i complete 2 of the trucks intoo running fashion one custom and one basicly stock the thirth will be sacrificed for parts
Old 06-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #729
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
that makes things a little eazier most of the transmission wiring is allready there and needs to be hooked up to the LS computer

i had a link a while back of a bolt in enginerubber kit to put a LS engine intoo this truck

i'd just put new gaskets in this engine flush everything out replace the filters and keep driving it untill the 64 is running , that way you can have the future buyer test the 454 engine in the truck before taking it out and get more for it to put intoo the LS engine changeover budget besides you need youre transport right now
That's what the plan was (use the 454/t-400 re-sale toward the 6.0/4l80e swap).

I'm hoping it's only a head gasket. My problem is (it is a problem), once the motor is apart, I have a hard time putting worn components back on. I know the pass side manifold is cracked/warped because it's had an exhaust leak since day 1 w/the manifold tight. Why buy a manifold when you know how restrictive they are. But a set of headers w/air fittings are expensive. 130K miles on the heads? More than likely need to be rebuilt.... Valve train? You get the picture

I guess it has to come apart for the exact diagnosis (blown head gasket, cracked head, cracked intake, etc....). I'll have to decide then based on how things look upon disassembly.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-16-2011 at 05:41 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:49 PM   #730
watahyahknow

bring it to a mecanic and have him do a cheapy fix , that way you cant go overboard on it
im the same way i usually do it this way when i know i whont use the engine verry long

Old 06-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #731
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

That sucks, Scot. You could go the cheaper route and throw a Blaine's engine at it. The 6.0 would be a sweet swap, though. I'm in for the swap party either way.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:07 PM   #732
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by watahyahknow View Post
bring it to a mecanic and have him do a cheapy fix , that way you cant go overboard on it
im the same way i usually do it this way when i know i whont use the engine verry long
'Bring it to a mechanic' & 'cheap fix' arent typically associated.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-16-2011, 06:28 PM   #733
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTI View Post
My problem is (it is a problem), once the motor is apart, I have a hard time putting worn components back on. I know the pass side manifold is cracked/warped because it's had an exhaust leak since day 1 w/the manifold tight. Why buy a manifold when you know how restrictive they are. But a set of headers w/air fittings are expensive. 130K miles on the heads? More than likely need to be rebuilt.... Valve train? You get the picture
I feel your pain. More of a mindset than a problem and I know 'cause I used to be the same way Scoti. Seems though that I am now semi-retired a "good enough" approach seems to work pretty good a lot of the time (but not always).

The old adage about know when to hold 'em, know when to fold 'em kind of applies.

I had to replace a battery last week on my "custom" driveway gate opener. Originally, 7 years ago, I used a red top Optima battery.... I replaced it with a $50 battery I bought at Sears for $30 after dealin' with the department manager. Good Enough!

Last edited by lakeroadster; 06-16-2011 at 06:35 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:36 PM   #734
SCOTI

I got the dually home but oil pressure was telling me it was not a min too soon (reg @ 50psi avg, dropped down to ~20psi by the time I reached the driveway).

I got the driver side spool piece trimmed down for Recycle's exhaust & will get everything tacked together tomorrow morning. I stopped there so I could get the dually home in daylight....
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-16-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 10:11 AM   #735
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Nice progress on a great looking exhaust system. That's going to be awesome when it's all done.

Sounds like plan "B" is in order for the dually. Pull the spare BBC from the garage, re-cam it and stab it. That make a lot more sense than rebuilding the current BBC or the LS swap since it's your primary form of transportation.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:40 PM   #736
Painter D

If it were me I think I'd hold off on the LS swap as well. GG Kansas is only a few months away ,if you're still planning on taking the 64' I'd avoid any potentially time consuming distractions, such an LS swap and just stay focused on the 64'.

As N2TRUX said if you have a spare BBC in the garage ,just swap the motor in a weekend and be done. If you go that route let me know I might be able to help you out.

'63 Buick Riviera ... AccuAir E-level, 20" Billet Specialties (Vintecs)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=528853&page=5
Painter D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:15 PM   #737
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69chevyshort View Post
If it were me I think I'd hold off on the LS swap as well. GG Kansas is only a few months away ,if you're still planning on taking the 64' I'd avoid any potentially time consuming distractions, such an LS swap and just stay focused on the 64'.

As N2TRUX said if you have a spare BBC in the garage ,just swap the motor in a weekend and be done. If you go that route let me know I might be able to help you out.
I don't plan to swap the 6.0 @ this point in time. There's too much stuff involved for the swap to not consider it a 'project' (unless you've done several, know exact details, have everything needed on hand, & the shop to do it in).

I re-routed the coolant line & by-passed the TB unit. I also changed the oil & filter. No oil pressure @ idle (that the gauge would read) but 25psi or so @ 40mph. My plan was to take it for a short drive to my work & change the oil again. I never made it to work.....

We're not doing just a head gasket apparently.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-17-2011, 08:37 PM   #738
aggie91
I'm just glad to be here!

Great progress on Recycle. Sorry about your issues with the dually. If Ken is right and you have a spare BBC in the garage, that sounds like the quickest solution at this time so that you have transportation. I'd come help if I was closer. Sounds as thou you have a good support group close by at least here on the world wide web.

1965 Chevy Stepside(Grandpa's Old Blue) and (July 2015 Shop Build!)(2020, the Saga Continues)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=372424

The LST Challenge:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post7812257

Korbin's 1st Square: "Sunburn"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=418618

1985 GMC Sierra: "White Trash", Korbin's 2nd now...
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=632305

Henry - 1984 Chevrolet, Owen's 1st Square
aggie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:05 AM   #739
watahyahknow

whell there WAS water in the oil and that doesnt lube verry whell , my first thought is that it didnt like running on mayonase and ate the bearings
couldve been a cracked head too
with some luck the cam is still usuable use big amounds of molicote and make sure you keep the lifters on the right lobe and use a new cam run in procedure (rev it) to make sure the lifters will spin .
it might work it might not its a 50 50 change it eats a lobe in the process but if it isnt you got a cheap working engine again

Old 06-23-2011, 05:45 PM   #740
n2billet
Village Idiot....

You've been off this week.......let's see the progress pictures!

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:34 PM   #741
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
You've been off this week.......let's see the progress pictures!
Here's my progress. That thermometer is hanging under the hood of the dually....
Attached Images

99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-23-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #742
n2billet
Village Idiot....

Quote:
Here's my progress. That thermometer is hanging under the hood of the dually....
Might as well lower it while you've got it apart!

-67 SWB Custom Porterbuilt Front and rear 20/22's Hazel Sold
-71 StepSide Porterbuilt Stage 2 with 20/22's Stella Mae Sold
n2billet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 06:44 PM   #743
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2billet View Post
Might as well lower it while you've got it apart!
And swap in a notched x-member . I hope to drop the 454 off tomorrow am. They're going to rebuild mine & tweak a few things per my "while we have it apart" standards (they didn't have any complete 4-bolt main 454's ready).

No generic cam. No more bottom basement compression. Should have a little more pep to its step.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Last edited by SCOTI; 06-23-2011 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 07:43 PM   #744
67cheby
67cheby

oh YA ...just do it
67cheby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:06 PM   #745
SCOTI

Man, I'm good for about 1.5hrs & then I have to come in for a cool-down. It's still showing 100° on my work area thermo.

Sucky part of all this was I was supposed to be working on the duallys suspension & the 64's exhaust. The drivetrain swap in the heat has whooped me.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Old 06-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #746
watahyahknow

i know how you feel i been at a big carshow in an arizona parkinglot and i couldnt last 1 hour before going intoo the airconned mac donalds
hotter than usual out here in the netherlands is 23 degrees celcius

Old 06-24-2011, 09:11 AM   #747
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

You need one of these buddy.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #748
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

Quote:
And swap in a notched x-member . I hope to drop the 454 off tomorrow am. They're going to rebuild mine & tweak a few things per my "while we have it apart" standards (they didn't have any complete 4-bolt main 454's ready).

No generic cam. No more bottom basement compression. Should have a little more pep to its step.
Who is building the 454?
Old 06-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #749
hardwaa

Scotti

Sounds like the dually got jealous. Also with motor and trans out looks like the perfect time for a DROPMEMBER!
Attached Images

Old 06-24-2011, 12:48 PM   #750
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy View Post
Who is building the 454?
Blaines is going to rebuild the number matching motor w/my tweaks (bump in compression & better cam timing). Not too crazy, but better than the 'generic' rebuild w/wheezy <8.0:1 compression & less than optimum valve lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaa
Sounds like the dually got jealous. Also with motor and trans out looks like the perfect time for a DROPMEMBER!
No 'Dropmember' on this one. I am contemplating swapping the notched x-member I did a while back for my 68 since it's actually a 73-89 x-member.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG