The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #351
flips72

Re: my 65 fleetside build

i tellin you, the bank has lots of it, just wish i did. as far as projects i allways wanted to do a 55 bbw truck. might be a good ride for the wife. she is wanting a 70 nova silver with black stripes, she does have good taste. we found my dads 72 cheyenne the other day and its for sale very nice truck when dad had it ,begged the wife to get it for her but it was a no go. who knows i aint gave up yet, my son wants it bad but cant afford it. wish he could that would be awesome for him to have papaws truck.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #352
allaboutchevelles

Thats cool you found his truck. If it was me I would get it anyways, She want stay mad too long, lol. The reason I say that is becuase my dad had a 70 GMC longbed dark green when I was real little. He sold it to a guy that he worked with. Well my dad pasted away when I was 12 and I kept up with the guy who had his old truck and told him to give me first chance to buy it back when he was ready to sell it. Well he let another guy that he worked with borrow the truck because of hard times he was having. Anyways a few years ago I called the origional guy who bought it from my dad and he gave me the number to the next guy. So I called him and he said that the front end of the truck had caught fire and they stopped driving it and it was at his sons house. So I called his son and he told me that he had chopped the frame in half and made a trailer out of the bed. So I said I would buy the cab and he told me it went to the crusher about 6 months prior to me calling. So I called the boneyard he sold it to and it was too late, Already been crushed. Sucks big time. So I bought the 64 C10 im working on now. Anyways it would be cool for your son to have that truck, may endup regreting not getting it later down the road.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #353
flips72

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaboutchevelles View Post
Thats cool you found his truck. If it was me I would get it anyways, She want stay mad too long, lol. The reason I say that is becuase my dad had a 70 GMC longbed dark green when I was real little. He sold it to a guy that he worked with. Well my dad pasted away when I was 12 and I kept up with the guy who had his old truck and told him to give me first chance to buy it back when he was ready to sell it. Well he let another guy that he worked with borrow the truck because of hard times he was having. Anyways a few years ago I called the origional guy who bought it from my dad and he gave me the number to the next guy. So I called him and he said that the front end of the truck had caught fire and they stopped driving it and it was at his sons house. So I called his son and he told me that he had chopped the frame in half and made a trailer out of the bed. So I said I would buy the cab and he told me it went to the crusher about 6 months prior to me calling. So I called the boneyard he sold it to and it was too late, Already been crushed. Sucks big time. So I bought the 64 C10 im working on now. Anyways it would be cool for your son to have that truck, may endup regreting not getting it later down the road.
man thats stinks about your dads truck, wish i could get the 72 for jj but its 8500.00 and thats a whole lot of change to me, heck i still have concrete to pay for
Old 02-17-2012, 01:57 PM   #354
McMurphy

Good luck on your pour Flips!
In the next year or so I am hoping to pour the pad for my shop on the retirement homestead, then a year or two after that pouring the house foundation!
I wish I could open an account with the concrete company and start paying on it now. The way things are going I would rather buy concrete at todays prices, than what they are going to be in a few years!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #355
65Custom

nice work on the door gap, did you also tack from the back side?

and nice driveway and parking pad lots of room I'm envious of most guys on here who have separate shops to work in, it is very difficult to do much metal work and keep it out of your house doing it in an attached garage.

My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366677

I must be
65Custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #356
McMurphy

Quote:
Soooooo let me guess here, from the pic of the rod tacked on, to the pic showing a smooth door and filled gap you....
... spot welded the rod probably jumping 4 to 6 inches between each tack until it was fully filled top to bottom... then you ground down your welds flush with the door skin .... then some filler? sanding? then primer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
you got it , so far its just bare metal but it be primed filled and lots and lots of blocking.
Ok just so I am clear, in that last pic of your door, after you ground down your welds, you must have sanded the metal smooth. There is no way I can get that kind of clean look with my grinder...
Sorry for going so detailed on the question, but I dont have anyone close by here to go and watch to learn this stuff, and your work is so freekin smooth. When I grow up I wanna be just like you and Alan.... ok ok ok.... you, Alan, and about 20 other guys on this site who are doing awesome work!!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 02-17-2012, 04:01 PM   #357
McMurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Custom View Post

and nice driveway and parking pad lots of room I'm envious of most guys on here who have separate shops to work in, it is very difficult to do much metal work and keep it out of your house doing it in an attached garage.
just saw the pics of your pour, very nicely done! You obviously have space now to add onto your shop as well. May I also ask what are the dimensions of your shop?

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Last edited by McMurphy; 02-17-2012 at 04:03 PM. Reason: redundancy sucks
Old 02-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #358
chad64chevy

driveway looks really good, lots of space!! clyde65 sent me a pm about the tailgate, i might be able to get it still and also j.cagle has one i might get too! i think you should take the bed you have painted and make a trailer out of it when you take your truck to shows! just a thought, but i like the wall art idea too
chad64chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #359
flips72

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurphy View Post
Good luck on your pour Flips!
In the next year or so I am hoping to pour the pad for my shop on the retirement homestead, then a year or two after that pouring the house foundation!
I wish I could open an account with the concrete company and start paying on it now. The way things are going I would rather buy concrete at todays prices, than what they are going to be in a few years!
yeah, concrete is 100 dollars a yard here in tn right now, but since i got so much they cut it to 86 dollars a yard, might be a good place to invest some money
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65Custom View Post
thanks,yes but just about every 6 inches smoothed and will seam seal it more than likely
been there and done that nothing goes up stairs faster than paint fumes
Quote:
Ok just so I am clear, in that last pic of your door, after you ground down your welds, you must have sanded the metal smooth. There is no way I can get that kind of clean look with my grinder...
Sorry for going so detailed on the question, but I dont have anyone close by here to go and watch to learn this stuff, and your work is so freekin smooth. When I grow up I wanna be just like you and Alan.... ok ok ok.... you, Alan, and about 20 other guys on this site who are doing awesome work!!
i used a da with 80 grit to smooth after grinding the weld. alan does great work and lots of others, mine is just so.so but like they say, its good enough for who its for.
Quote:
just saw the pics of your pour, very nicely done! You obviously have space now to add onto your shop as well. May I also ask what are the dimensions of your shop?
thanks, i am pleased with it and my shop is 30x32 and i wish it was 80x100
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad64chevy View Post
driveway looks really good, lots of space!! clyde65 sent me a pm about the tailgate, i might be able to get it still and also j.cagle has one i might get too! i think you should take the bed you have painted and make a trailer out of it when you take your truck to shows! just a thought, but i like the wall art idea too
good luck on the tailgate, hopefully it will happen. iam still going to use the driver side of my bed just re-placing the passenger side, that would be cool though.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 PM   #360
flips72

not been able to touch the truck since my last post, my mother in law had a massive heart attack friday and passed on sunday. i know you guys will remember our family without me even asking so i will go ahead and thank all of yall now. my wife is having a terrible time with it they were extremely close.
Old 02-20-2012, 06:19 PM   #361
chad64chevy

sorry to hear about another loss for you and to be someone thats so close to you and your wife!! you guys are in my prayers!!

ON A SIDE NOTE, i didnt get the tailgate is was really bad and not worth it!!
Old 02-25-2012, 12:42 AM   #362
allaboutchevelles

So Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Your family is in my prayers. Hope everything can settle down for yall soon.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:50 AM   #363
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
So Sorry to hear about your mother-in-law. Your family is in my prayers. Hope everything can settle down for yall soon.
x2, Amen to that.

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:51 AM   #364
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

Dang Dude, another death in your family. So sorry to hear it. You know your family is in my prayers.
Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #365
flips72

just wanted to say thanks for all the prayers, maybe things will settle down around here for a while i can get back to work, i sure do want this thing finished, ready to go to the drag strip and sling its guts out
Old 03-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #366
chad64chevy

glad to hear from you, been wondering when we were going to hear from you again! when you do go to the track you need to make a video, lol!!
Old 03-19-2012, 05:53 PM   #367
allaboutchevelles

Are you busy painting the cab?? I bet your going to pop in on us with some WOW pics real soon. Hope everything is going good with your family!!
Old 03-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #368
McMurphy

Ditto...echo... and

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #369
flips72

Quote:
glad to hear from you, been wondering when we were going to hear from you again! when you do go to the track you need to make a video, lol!!
thanks chad, when and if i ever get it done i will definetly make a video but not sure if i can figure out how to post it, might have to get the 14 year old involved lol.
Quote:
Are you busy painting the cab?? I bet your going to pop in on us with some WOW pics real soon. Hope everything is going good with your family!!
i wish, i have been able to piddle with it some,stripped the driver door and i have the outside ready for paint still need to do the inside, and also tried patching one of my inner fenders, it turned out ok. now to do the other one and i wont have to use the aftermarket ones. as far as the family goes i have been staying close to the wife, she hasnt been do well with the loss.
Quote:
Ditto...echo... and
hey sarge, i have been trying to keep up with everyones build when i get a chance, heres a few pics of the door and inner fender, very happy with the door gap now
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 08:16 PM   #370
flips72

the inner fender
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2012, 10:46 PM   #371
McMurphy

Man your door gap looks even!

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Old 03-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #372
chad64chevy

flips the truck is looking great! i was thinking of telling you if you have to to get your 14 yr. old to help anyways someone has to hold the camcorder, lol!! you door gaps are really good, so is your inner fender patch, i had to do the samething to mine just on the passenger side, same spot too!!
Old 03-20-2012, 10:19 AM   #373
likaroc13
Rollin' Old Skool

Quote:
i agree...looks nice!

My Build threads:
1966 Chevy C-10 "Black Betty"

shortbed, fleetside, BBW, 327 V8/ Powerglide (under construction)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ighlight=betty

1997 Chevy Tahoe, 2dr/2wd, mild custom (Daily driver)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=601142

Pics:
'66 C-10 https://flic.kr/s/aHsjHWD4h9
'97 Tahoe https://flic.kr/s/aHsjGZ7wKP
'93 C-1500 https://flic.kr/s/aHskxdpdnQ
'88 S-10 Blazer https://flic.kr/s/aHsjYGx4Md

Previous Rides:
1993 Chevy S-10 ext. cab, 4.3L, 4/5 drop (Sold)
1993 Chevy C-1500 short/step Retro-Rod (Sold)
1988 S-10 Blazer 2dr/2wd mild custom (Sold)
likaroc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:49 PM   #374
allaboutchevelles

Truck cab is looking real good. Hope mine turns out that good with gaps that nice on both sides. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.
Old 03-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #375
flips72

Quote:
thanks MCmurphy its been alot of work but i believe it will be worth it in the long run.
Quote:
flips the truck is looking great! i was thinking of telling you if you have to to get your 14 yr. old to help anyways someone has to hold the camcorder, lol!! you door gaps are really good, so is your inner fender patch, i had to do the samething to mine just on the passenger side, same spot too!!
thanks chad, she will have to do it for me for sure, ya see i have a problem called being computer handicapped. cant spell real well either i wanted to say illiterate but not sure if thats how its spelled so i used handicapped
Quote:
Originally Posted by likaroc13 View Post
i agree...looks nice!
thanks likaroc for the kind words.
Quote:
Truck cab is looking real good. Hope mine turns out that good with gaps that nice on both sides. Keep up the good work and keep the pics coming.
thanks, and i know for sure yours will be nicer than mine.