The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > Welcome and Discussion > General Discussion

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-17-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
trukman1

Powder Coating Advice Needed

I'm contemplating powder coating my new inner fender wells.

Is this a good option and, if so, should I have the shipping primer coat bead blasted or is sand blasting okay to give a good bonding surface and finish.

Not sure yet what service the different companies will offer for removing primer but I have done bead blasting and sand blasting before and want to get a smooth surface but with enough "texture" for the coating to bond well with.

Is there a better finish recommended for fender wells such as just painting?

Thanks for the help. I only want to do this once and get it right...LOL!

trukman1, out!
Old 02-17-2021, 02:11 PM   #2
67C10Step

Re: Powder Coating Advice Needed

What is the final usage for the truck? Driver or show truck? On a show truck it would probably work great and look good. Most quality powder coat places do their own prep work as they don't trust anyone else to get the surface right for their coating.

For a driver truck I don't know that I would do it. Unless you are coating the wheel side with something else I would think the powder coat would get rock chips that would then be hard to touch up.

I was home powder coating 20 years ago and fell in love with it but also found places it didn't make as much sense.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

I agree..hood side ok...but not wheel side...all powder coaters around here media blast before powder...
But I've still seen powder jobs turn out with crappy results..

RIP Dad
RIP Jesse

1981 C30 LQ9 NV4500..http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=753598
Mongos AD- LS3 TR6060...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...34#post8522334
Columbus..the 1957 IH 4x4...http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...63#post8082563
2023 Chevy Z71..daily driver
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
trukman1

Thanks guys, that's what I was wanting to know.

Will be driven so I'll go with paint.

You guys are awesome! Thanks!
Old 02-17-2021, 05:49 PM   #5
LS short box

Powder loves a sand blasted surface. And because powder is basically plastic my expirence it's much tougher then paint. The company I used to work for has a big powder coat shop. They didn't do any blasting. If the part needed prep it was up to the owner or they took it to a local sand blasting place.
I've had my 98 Wrangler frame and additional parts powder coated about 12 years ago and its still in really good shape. One tip about bolting on parts when they are powder coated is don't use cheap washers the have a sharp edge on one side. That sharp edge can crack the powder (paint also) as you tighten the bolt.
Here's a pic of my powder coated inner fenders. I did the radiator support also.
Attached Images

LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:52 PM   #6
trukman1

Wow, LS! That does look really good! Thanks for the feedback and picture. trukman1
Old 02-20-2021, 07:10 AM   #7
ChevyRacefan

I am going to try bed liner on the wheel side.
How does power coat hold up to brake fluid,oil, gas?
I like ease of touch up on engine side. but never used powder coat there.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:25 PM   #8
weasel29gm
SLOW BUT SURE,BUT CLOSER

Rust-oleum hammered used for years. If scratched you can touch it up,,hard to do with powder coat
69 C-10, OWNED 35YRS... 350 over 30, 350 Turbo, 3:73 Posi P/S, P/B Black with red and black int. ''LOVE THESE OLD ''TRUCKS.......
weasel29gm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 05:39 PM   #9
LS short box

It's not going to be easy to powder coat only one side. You would have to completely tape off the inside of the wheel well to prevent "overspray" of powder. You have to use high temp tape.
I've used Rust-oleum with very good results also. I just happened to work for a company with a big powder coat/plating shop. We manufactured packaging machines that needed to painted one way or another. In the mid-80"s the EPA was restricting emissions from paint shops so we switched to powder so no emissions
Old 02-21-2021, 12:05 PM   #10
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

on a couple of trucks i did the inner fenders.. like others said it doesnt work well on wheel side of inner fenders, but i undercoated those and the hood side looks great

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:40 AM   #11
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

I read someplace powder coat doesn't do well for inner fenders because the metal is thin. But I had my inspection cover done & it looks great so far.

I had the inners painted and the underneath like these bed extensions.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 07:48 PM   #12
Black_Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71CHEVYSHORTBED402 View Post
I read someplace powder coat doesn't do well for inner fenders because the metal is thin. But I had my inspection cover done & it looks great so far.

I had the inners painted and the underneath like these bed extensions.
Bed liner? I did the same on my ‘58
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:43 PM   #13
trukman1

All these look great. I guess it will come down to cost including coating for underside if powder coated. All seem to be viable options. Thanks to all!
Old 02-24-2021, 06:31 AM   #14
ChevyRacefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
It's not going to be easy to powder coat only one side. You would have to completely tape off the inside of the wheel well to prevent "overspray" of powder. You have to use high temp tape.
I've used Rust-oleum with very good results also. I just happened to work for a company with a big powder coat/plating shop. We manufactured packaging machines that needed to painted one way or another. In the mid-80"s the EPA was restricting emissions from paint shops so we switched to powder so no emissions
I would assume most mean, they will powder coat the whole thing, then put the undercoating or bed liner material on the tire side.
I don't like powder coat on the underside of a driven vehicle, a chip and the rust starts and it is hard to stop it from getting under the coating, same with frames, the coating cracks from flex and the rust migrates from the crack in the coating and spreads under it.
Show vehicles that If driven at all, are treated to days of cleaning and spend their life in a temp controlled space, sure.
I am sure that the issue with this, in very humid areas, is different than those areas that are dry. So depending on where you live, can change things.
ChevyRacefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:45 PM   #15
LS short box

No question if you crack the powder coat and the it sees a lot moisture rust will start to creep underneath and lift the powder. My LS swapped Wrangler is a true mall crawler. I use it the summer as a daily driver and in the winter as my drive way plow vehicle. The Wrangler frame is more less bent tubing so I don't think it sees much flex.
One reason I used powder on my hot rod projects is that as an employee I got the "special" rate. It was very inexpensive as long as the parts were properly prepped.
Pics of my Wrangler.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #16
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Cracking of powdercoat due to flexing is a problem with the shop doing the work. When I had my powdercoating shop I did more coil springs than I could ever count and they never cracked. The spring manufacturers use powder on them when you buy new springs too. I can't think of much that flexes more than a coil spring.
Old 02-25-2021, 06:34 PM   #17
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Cracking of powdercoat due to flexing is a problem with the shop doing the work. When I had my powdercoating shop I did more coil springs than I could ever count and they never cracked. The spring manufacturers use powder on them when you buy new springs too. I can't think of much that flexes more than a coil spring.
Funny you should mention that, I remember hearing "don't PC coil springs". The guy doing my PC says it's ideal for flexing parts. Those and my hood springs are PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Sheep View Post
Bed liner? I did the same on my ‘58
I think that's the gist of it, on the lighter side I'd say but TUFF.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote