The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-14-2021, 01:48 PM   #4776
62 Barnfind

Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

Started the smooth cowel install.
Attached Images

My build tread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=507513
62 Barnfind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:32 PM   #4777
mr48chev

Right now I wish I had spent some time getting the 9-N Ford tractor down at my Moms house running last summer so I could use the blade that is sitting next to it to clear the driveways.

When I lived in town in Texas my neighbors never fussed much about my old cars as I was always the one who helped them fix something and quite often helped the neighbor kids fix their bicycles.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:04 PM   #4778
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
Right now I wish I had spent some time getting the 9-N Ford tractor down at my Moms house running last summer so I could use the blade that is sitting next to it to clear the driveways.

When I lived in town in Texas my neighbors never fussed much about my old cars as I was always the one who helped them fix something and quite often helped the neighbor kids fix their bicycles.
I think he doesn't like my long hair either. I've been here 30 years and most of my neighbors love me for the same reasons. I plowed most of their driveways today. Some people you just can't please. I'm way over it. Time to polish my bracket.
mick53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 08:14 PM   #4779
dsraven

hey mick, you should plow his driveway for him, smile sweetly, wave and yell "I love you man" if he comes outside. have syrup and honey dripping off of you it is so sweet what you are doing. maybe he will relent and become your best friend. you never know, you might have a lot in common.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 10:30 PM   #4780
mr48chev

Won't work, guys like that always see things they don't like about someone else's place as a dent in their "property values"

When I lived in Texas in the 70's there were a group of old biddies who road around town in the early evenings in the new Cadillac that one of them owned (she traded every year) and would write down things they didn't think were appropriate about folks yards or cars, boats or motorhomes parked in said yards and give the notes to the city manager. Needless to say he paid me a visit or two due to their rides around town.

77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
Old 02-14-2021, 10:30 PM   #4781
mr48chev

Won't work, guys like that always see things they don't like about someone else's place as a dent in their "property values"

When I lived in Texas in the 70's there were a group of old biddies who road around town in the early evenings in the new Cadillac that one of them owned (she traded every year) and would write down things they didn't think were appropriate about folks yards or cars, boats or motorhomes parked in said yards and give the notes to the city manager. Needless to say he paid me a visit or two due to their rides around town.

Old 02-15-2021, 12:13 AM   #4782
mick53

I live on a chain of 7 lakes. Since I have lived here I bought all my adjoining properties, tore down the old houses and built a new one for me 10 years ago. He is the eye sore now. The county loves me. I have tried to get along with him to no avail. I even gave him a free AKC Basset hound puppy a few years ago. All my vehicles and boats whether they run or not are registered. I need to do some welding but I'm out of argon. I don't know if the welding supply is open tomorrow. I think I will buy another tank so I have a spare if they aren't too expensive.
Old 02-16-2021, 09:18 PM   #4783
Hank141

Talking Re: What did you do with your truck today, Part 3

She is my Daily Driver (1971 GMC) so plugged in the heater for the oil pan, then discovered the Napa fuel pump I installed was leaking like crazy. Next I shut her down and ran in the house to get a fuel pump overnighted here. Looks like I might be walking to work tomorrow.
Hank141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 11:38 PM   #4784
MiraclePieCo

A brief break in the wintery weather enabled me to get my panel truck out for a quick leg-stretch on the freeway today. While returning home via some rural backroads I met a guy with a '40 Ford sedan doing the same thing.
Attached Images

Last edited by MiraclePieCo; 02-17-2021 at 11:49 PM.
MiraclePieCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:23 PM   #4785
mick53

I finished my alternator bracket. I ordered a tensioner bar that I might be able to make work. I also ordered a water pump pulley that probably wont work for $250 but it's made in the good old USA, San Diego where I did my Navy. Go America. If I can't make it work at least they speak English. They were the only people that could give me all the dimensions I needed. I may have to cut it down or move the water pump up and use a spacer but it's a good start.
Attached Images

Old 02-20-2021, 11:43 PM   #4786
56 3100

hydro boost brake lines plumbing

56 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2021, 05:13 AM   #4787
MiraclePieCo

Performed a re-torque on my valve covers, intake manifold, and exhaust manifolds today. They were really loose from gasket compression. Then cleaned the paint from under my oil pressure gauge ground wire bolt; this actually increased the reading by about 10 lbs.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2021, 11:51 PM   #4788
BAM55

It was a good day the buddies helped me get the bed on my truck and we kicked it and ate barbecue.

BAM55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 12:32 AM   #4789
Black_Sheep

I polished my valve covers, installed new VC gaskets and fired the truck up for the first time since late October.
Black_Sheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 11:20 AM   #4790
mick53

I made my tensioner rod for my alternator. I bought the parts from McMaster-Carr. I still need to trim the alternator to square it up to the engine.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #4791
Johns327

BAM55, that truck of yours is kick butt. Get some glass in it and get it on the road!

For those of you who are not in So Cal, look away, we have had some beautiful weather and I’ve been busy hitting the Cars and Coffee meets around here since the shows are closed. Lots of folks jonesing to drive around their rides. That Ford pickup has a 427 in it. Very healthy and very nice.
Attached Images

Old 03-01-2021, 01:20 PM   #4792
BAM55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
BAM55, that truck of yours is kick butt. Get some glass in it and get it on the road!
Thanks man. Getting that bed on and having the truck complete for the last time is a milestone for me. Now it is just the little things which also take time. Glass will be the last thing I do, but I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:31 AM   #4793
Trucker79

Go Bam55! Looks good! I haven't seen it since I gave up insta. You are a true inspiration!
Trucker79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:52 PM   #4794
BAM55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker79 View Post
Go Bam55! Looks good! I haven't seen it since I gave up insta. You are a true inspiration!
Thank you
Old 03-03-2021, 11:04 AM   #4795
jweb

I picked my truck up from the detail shop. Paint correction, Ceramic coating and clear bra on the running boards.

I’m hoping to drive it a lot more this summer and now it’s ready to go.
Attached Images

1953 Westerner "canned ham" trailer, rebuilt
1974 Prowler trailer, rebuilt
jweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:20 AM   #4796
vintovka

OT: Reading about all this neat work makes me want to work on and drive the 54 so bad it hurts. Can't bring it up to our new place until we have a place to store it out of the weather, Sitting here in new place waiting for new 26x24 garage slab to harden up. I put in order for metal building but wish me luck as they are announcing 35 to 40 percent increase in steel prices across the board. Think I'm locked in with down payment but who knows. 54 is safely parked down at other house in the garage we built 2 years ago. Cost of that building was less than half of current prices!!!!!!!. Get your steel parts while you can!!
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 11:59 AM   #4797
mick53

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
OT: Reading about all this neat work makes me want to work on and drive the 54 so bad it hurts. Can't bring it up to our new place until we have a place to store it out of the weather, Sitting here in new place waiting for new 26x24 garage slab to harden up. I put in order for metal building but wish me luck as they are announcing 35 to 40 percent increase in steel prices across the board. Think I'm locked in with down payment but who knows. 54 is safely parked down at other house in the garage we built 2 years ago. Cost of that building was less than half of current prices!!!!!!!. Get your steel parts while you can!!
I'm a general contractor. All this stimulus money is driving demand way up. My wholesale lumber prices are up 114% over this time last year. You did good buying when you did. I can only absorb so much then I have to pass it on. Wait for the $15 minimum wage and see what happens when I have to pay someone $15 an hour to carry lumber.
Old 03-03-2021, 01:32 PM   #4798
BAM55

Quote:
Originally Posted by jweb View Post
I picked my truck up from the detail shop. Paint correction, Ceramic coating and clear bra on the running boards.

I’m hoping to drive it a lot more this summer and now it’s ready to go.
Jweb, she a beauty.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:38 PM   #4799
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick53 View Post
I'm a general contractor. All this stimulus money is driving demand way up. My wholesale lumber prices are up 114% over this time last year. You did good buying when you did. I can only absorb so much then I have to pass it on. Wait for the $15 minimum wage and see what happens when I have to pay someone $15 an hour to carry lumber.
Well aware of all of this. I expect this part of the forum will go dead when prices make it near impossible to continue to custom build anything or buy anything they need, period. I have no doubt many will ask "what happened" when SHTF.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 06:32 PM   #4800
mick53

I have been trying to figure out my water pump pulley. Seldom does anyone make what I need or want. My plan "A" is usually to find out what is close that I can alter to make work. I do my best to avoid plan "B". This is a 8 rib pulley so that doesn't help the choices. I got these from ID Designs in So-cal. They make them there. They provided me with all the mechanical drawings. Nobody else I contacted could even give me the offset. They just wanted the application. When I said blown Chevy 292 1973 they were oddly stumped. Sorry this might get a little long. When BHJ made my custom damper it required a 7.5" pulley to accommodate the design. My high flow water pump likes to live between 500 and 5000 RPM's. So I needed my water pump pulley to be as large as possible with about 6.125" to play with. The first one I bought was 6.375". I thought I could shave it down a little and maybe move the water pump up a little. That was a dumb idea. Moving the water pump up would be a major hassle. So I went through to drawings and called David back. We chose the second one that is 5.90". The second one has the groove delete option so I will have to scratch those in. Both pulleys have the same thickness on the outer ring so strength should not be a problem when I cut the grooves in. I also bought an .800" spacer that might just work as is by pure luck. The folks at ID Designs sent me the second pulley at no charge with a return shipping label for the first one. The second one was about $30 more than the first but no charge even though they gave me a nice discount to start with. These are top quality parts. Thank you for your time I like to give credit where credit is due. Just like Johnny Cash it's one piece at a time.
Attached Images